Multistrada Wiki
  About us
 Login

Username:

Password:

Log me on automatically each visit

Problems signing in?

Register

Forum index -   Wanna buy: Multistrada 1000 as first Bike?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
®ob
MTS: 2005 1000 DS (Red)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2004 7:25 am Reply with quote

Thank you for your vision on this subject so far. I didn’t expect that so many serious people would react. This forum is almost a reason to buy a Multistrada!

What I forgot to mention is who I’m: I’m 40 years old, still not in my midlife crisis, so I don’t have to prove anything Wink . I have two kids and a wife, who is also taking lessons. I think I know my limits and I think I am a defensive rider (very important here in Holland). Why I was also thinking about the 1000 instead of the 620 is the time I will spend on the highway. From where I live you simply have to take these to the places where the cruising is nice.

After reading the reactions I still don’t know what to do. But that doesn’t matter because I have at least the whole winter to think (and dream) about it. I don’t expect to have my license before april. What I plan to do is to follow an extended course in which you learn how break in various conditions, how to avoid obstacles and can improve your cornering technique etc.

Thank you for your reaction, but don’t stop the discussion now!!

Rob
prowen
MTS: Not specified

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2004 10:37 pm Reply with quote

Assuming your choice is between the 620cc and 1000cc versions of the Multistrada, I would say that there is little difference for the 'newborn' rider. Even in 1000cc form, the Multi's power delivery is smooth and predictable, and the extra power and torque it lords over the 620 would only become an issue on wet or unsealed roads. For me, the long-travel front suspension is more likely to catch out the inexperienced when braking hard in an emergency. As with most motorcycles, stopping in a hurry requires 'pre-loading' the Multistrada's front end. Your first front braking input shouldn't be a hard squeeze, but one takes up most of the suspension travel before giving the lever a harder squeeze and really 'nailing' the front tyre to the road. To take this approach in an emergency requires a cool head, and inexperienced riders often panic in such situations...
I don't know much about the suspension specs of the 620cc MS, but I suspect it has the same 170mm of travel up front, and offers just as much potential for locking up the front wheel.
Billy Bigwheels

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2004 4:00 pm Reply with quote

600 for 6 months put as many miles on it as possible then do some advanced riding courses before moving up to anything bigger.

Just my 10p....
clockwork orange
MTS: 2005 620 (Orange)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2004 11:55 am Reply with quote

Newbie here - MS620 on order!!!

I have had a M620 for about 8 months as my first bike, and found it a fantastic starter bike. I don't think I have got anywhere near the limits of the bike yet, but have found that the riding position doesn't really suit me, so..... am trading it for the MS620 just as soon as it arrives in the UK!!

I agree with previous comments in particular that it is just as easy to hit a corner too hot and panic on a 600 as on a 1000. I do very little motorway riding, so find the 620 motor much more fun to ride.
Doc
MTS: 2003 1000 DS (Red)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2004 1:33 pm Reply with quote

Welcome Kubrick fan Smile , and enjoy your MS as soon as it arrives.

Doc

P.S: I might have mispelled Stanley's name Embarassed

overipe+keen

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2004 3:16 pm Reply with quote

Just had my 1000 MS serviced and was loaned a M620. Top enginer this one. I know not as powerful as the big brother but very willing and certainly likes to be reved up to the max 10,ooo r.p.m? Unless you want absolute speed all the time this 620 is a winner!! Enjoy
Very Happy

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2004 5:14 pm Reply with quote

Hello and M-xmas:)
I live and ride in Iceland.
Got me a Multistrata this sommer and like the bike.
My background is in the offroad class and I have bin riding for 22-23 years.
I dont find the Multi Big or to powerfull but there have bin moments,mostly due to cars!!! when I have bin glad to my multy-years riding MC´s!!!!!
Nothing beats time in the saddle,and I am i firm belever og starting small and growing bigger:)
loop
MTS: 2005 1000S DS (Red)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 7:15 am Reply with quote

i agree with ian i bought before 15 years a gsxr 400 as my first bike. one week later i crushed on a wall with 140km/hr. i m lucky and i wasnt injured. but it depends on how you drive if you drive slow and carefully i dont think that there would be a problem ,but if you are temted by the acceleration and speed try the 620.
you also have to learn how to predickt the behaviour of the car in front of you , the power of your brakes, how to position your self in a corner and much more...so i think its safer if you go for the 620
multistrada is not an easy bike the brembo "bites" the km going up easily and if you want to keep km low it is not an easy thing for a begginer you have to shift up and down much more times than you think...
thats all from me i wish that you make the best choise for you!!!!!
Rocker

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 8:52 pm Reply with quote

clockwork orange wrote:

Sorry but somehow I missed your post. Anyway Please! tell me you are getting a yellow one

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 9:34 pm Reply with quote

Quote:
1000 instead of the 620

Laughing Rob, it sounds like with you're age, which is not old, you'll be okay on the 1000. I don't own one yet, but we're only talking about a bike with 84hp. Not that it's not powerful, but from what i've read the multi has a very smooth and linear powerband. I've logged a lot of miles on a modified XX and a modified Busa with 142hp
and 177hp. Those bikes could get most riders in trouble in a heartbeat, but you can usually control any bike with the throttle. Laughing

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 7:32 pm Reply with quote

Rocker wrote:
clockwork orange wrote:

Sorry but somehow I missed your post. Anyway Please! tell me you are getting a yellow one

Sorry Rocker - board name gives it away I suspect - no, its orange..... Whistle
Rocker

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 7:38 pm Reply with quote

well I suppose that is half way between Yellow & Red Smile

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 7:44 pm Reply with quote

Tee Hee

I'm sure you'll see it at some point during the year, anyway.
macvette

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 9:48 am Reply with quote

Hi I'm 60, never had a mid life crisis! Been on bikes forever and ride in all weather 2 or 3 times a week and almost never on the motorway (no bends). Can't recommend any 1000cc modern performance bike to a new rider. When I started riding, they were two limitations Rolling Eyes , money and the fact that most bikes were pretty low powered so they was an in built learning curve as money became available and power increased. There's a lot more to riding a bike than driving a car or simply passing the test. It isn't just a matter of throttle control as some have suggested. The ability to read the road, it's surface condition ,where it's going, the weather conditions and other road users all have much more bearing than when driving a car and have to be instinctively translated into road postion, balance ,throttle control and braking. This is what makes biking such a great experience. I think to enjoy a bike you need to be able to practise these things on a bike which has reasonable power before stepping up in engine size.
I see quite a few "born again" bikers who have bought high powered sports bikes and despite their previous experience, ride nervously, unable to enjoy their bikes because of the sensitivity of the controls and the speed at which the bike responds to input.
If you have to have a Multistrada, I would say go for the 620 but don't forget that there are other more friendly starter bikes out there. So what if you trade in after a year to get a 1000 cc? That's better than getting a bike you may not enjoy ( not because of the bike but because of your limitations) and being put off biking. Remember when roadtesters in magazines say the Multi is easy to ride, they are very experienced riders. It is an easy bike to ride in this engine size, if you have some experience. So get some experience on a smaller bike, then get a 1000 and enjoy it.
Good luck

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 9:55 am Reply with quote

macvette wrote:
Hi I'm 60, never had a mid life crisis! Been on bikes forever and ride in all weather 2 or 3 times a week and almost never on the motorway (no bends). Can't recommend any 1000cc modern performance bike to a new rider. When I started riding, they were two limitations Rolling Eyes , money and the fact that most bikes were pretty low powered so they was an in built learning curve as money became available and power increased. There's a lot more to riding a bike than driving a car or simply passing the test. It isn't just a matter of throttle control as some have suggested. The ability to read the road, it's surface condition ,where it's going, the weather conditions and other road users all have much more bearing than when driving a car and have to be instinctively translated into road postion, balance ,throttle control and braking. This is what makes biking such a great experience. I think to enjoy a bike you need to be able to practise these things on a bike which has reasonable power before stepping up in engine size.
I see quite a few "born again" bikers who have bought high powered sports bikes and despite their previous experience, ride nervously, unable to enjoy their bikes because of the sensitivity of the controls and the speed at which the bike responds to input.
If you have to have a Multistrada, I would say go for the 620 but don't forget that there are other more friendly starter bikes out there. So what if you trade in after a year to get a 1000 cc? That's better than getting a bike you may not enjoy ( not because of the bike but because of your limitations) and being put off biking. Remember when roadtesters in magazines say the Multi is easy to ride, they are very experienced riders. It is an easy bike to ride in this engine size, if you have some experience. So get some experience on a smaller bike, then get a 1000 and enjoy it.
Good luck

Here Here! I could not have put it better