Multistrada Wiki
  About us
 Login

Username:

Password:

Log me on automatically each visit

Problems signing in?

Register

Forum index -   Wanna buy: Multistrada 1000 as first Bike?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Nat
MTS: Not specified

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 4:45 pm Reply with quote

You guys are lucky. Where I come from we have to take 3 tests in total. Meaning for the 1st test on passing we can only ride bikes up to 200cc. Crying or Very sad Furthermore it takes on average about 6 months to pass because of a total of (if i remember correctly) 26 100min practical lessons, 4 theory lessons, 2 "revision" Think practical lessons (in order to be allowed to take the final practical exam) and to pass a theory test. If one fails the final practical exam, he has to book another 2 "revision" lessons before he can book another date for his final exam. All this and we have to wait (sometimes) 2-3 days for a vacant slot to book the next lesson. Sometimes even longer. The final practical exam may set you back 1 or 2 months!! Mad Bec there's alot of ppl doing the same thing. All this just to ride bikes up to 200cc!!! Mad (they made it difficult BTW)

Plus the fact that there isn't much choices of bikes in this catagory. Sad (BTW by around the 10th lesson you would be rather good... in a way Neutral )

...finally after all the above... 1 yr of riding without commiting any traffic offenses AT ALL that would add points to your license... one is elligible to enrol for the 2nd class which allows a rider to ride any bike! .....up to 400cc that is... Confused

Here it gets easier somewhat. There are only 3 100min lessons, 1 theory lesson (without a test) and a final practical exam. Everything else is the same. Including the waiting time between lessons and exams.

Then after another year of riding without comitting any offences with points you get to enrol in the final test which allows you to ride all bikes. This part is exactly the same as the one mentioned above minus the 1 theory lesson.

Ops! Forgot to mention for the last 2 tests you would also need to attend "revision" lessons before the final too.

Believe me.... it's a long journey. Sad

Sorry for the long post. Just wanted to vent my frustrations. Laughing Just figured that its another process to bleed our wallets dry. (every step costs $)
Nat

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 4:55 pm Reply with quote

Oh yeah, forgot to mention I had to be at least 18 in order to take the 1st part. Rolling Eyes
Doc
MTS: 2003 1000 DS (Red)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 5:07 pm Reply with quote

Well Nat,

After only reading this procedure you have to go through Shocked , I got tired Stubborn . I can understand your frustration Neutral

After all these tests they put you through, they should be granting you guys an oficial racing license Laughing . And also a "fine member of the community" award for not making ANY traffic offenses Mr. Green .

Congrats for your patience to go through all that, I'm not sure I could have done that myself Shifty

Doc

GREATLAKESRIDER

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 1:41 am Reply with quote

Quote:
After all these tests they put you through, they should be granting you guys an oficial racing license Laughing . And also a "fine member of the community" award for not making ANY traffic offenses Mr. Green
Doc

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 3:37 am Reply with quote

Well everyone breaks a few rules once in awhile. Just that I didnt get caught! Wink The speed limits are ridiculously slow on some areas.
Rocker

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 7:28 am Reply with quote

Nat wrote:
Well everyone breaks a few rules once in awhile. Just that I didnt get caught! Wink The speed limits are ridiculously slow on some areas.

Nat in the UK there are now 20 mph ( 32 kph) speed limits in some places.
Yours can not be any slower than that. Can they?
Do you use mph or krh in Singapore?

MTS: 2005 1000 DS (Red)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 8:00 am Reply with quote

We're getting a little bit off topic.

I did not make a discision yet, still don't have my license. But after reading all your advise and comments, I think I'll go for the 620:
    - less power to control
    - lower seat height
    - weight
    - easier wet clutch
    - I still have something to dream about the next year(s)
    - one thing is uncertain: does anybody know when the 620 will be available in Holland? I know the press presentation is scheduled on the 10th of februari

Rob

Rocker

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 8:59 am Reply with quote

Why do you consider a wet clutch to be easier?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 11:34 am Reply with quote

®ob wrote:
does anybody know when the 620 will be available in Holland? I know the press presentation is scheduled on the 10th of february

Here in Greece it will be available from the 15th of February.

As for this:
Quote:
easier wet clutch

It has nothing to do with "easyness", the differences between wet and dry clutches are:

Dry clucth:
    (+)
    - much easier to replace/maintainance
    - slightly better/more exact when engaging/disengaging (no oil in-between)
    - you can replace it for a slipper one in 30 minutes
    - you can replace it in 20 minutes
    - no need to worry about what oil to use (oil only for the engine)
    - debris from the plates while they wear out, is washed off and doesn't remain inside (I wouldn't like that in my engine's oil)

(-)
    - noise
    - clutch basket will need t obe replaced after some time (around 40.000km) but this also depends heavily on the plates and the basket (alu, steel, carbon etc)
    - more "aggresive" when starting from a complete stop (not always a negative thing but for some riders it is)
    - will make you spend money for it and make you add all the good looking features (springs, retainer caps, pressure plates, open covers, etc) Mr. Green

Read the above vice versa and you'll have an idea about wet clutches. The reason Ducati is considering to go for wet clutches in the future is because of the more strict European policy about "noise emissions", of course they can also make the dry ones more "quiet".

Doc

P.S: "Ducati" for me is synonym with: trelis frame, dry clutch, L-2 engine, desmo valves, exceptional handling and somewhat underpowered compared to the rival bikes of the same category.

Last edited by Doc on Wed Feb 09, 2005 1:58 am; edited 1 time in total

Jantah
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 3:01 pm Reply with quote

I think the reason Rob mentioned the clutch because the 620 is fitted with a rather clever clutch assembly , but I've forgotten the exact name.

This clutch will force the plates together when power is applied. The other way, when you close the throttle, the grip on the plates is loosened, so it's a slipper clutch as well. And since the plates are forced together under power, the springs can be much less stiff than on a normal clutch.
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteMSN Messenger Top
Doc

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 3:14 pm Reply with quote

Jantah wrote:
I think the reason Rob mentioned the clutch because the 620 is fitted with a rather clever clutch assembly , but I've forgotten the exact name.

APTC is the name, but don't ask me what it stands for Smile

Doc

GREATLAKESRIDER

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 11:02 pm Reply with quote

Quote:
APTC is the name, but don't ask me what it stands for Smile

Doc
[/quote]

Very Happy Not sure what the A stands for. PTC stands for Power Torque Clutch. From what I understand it is a wet hydraulic slipper clutch. Very Happy

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 12:22 pm Reply with quote

Ops! I didn't mean to go off topic! Embarassed REALLY SORRY guys!

Btw jus to answer Rocker; in Singapore we measure our spds in km/h. 32km/h is really slow! Shocked the lowest is 50km/h over here on public roads but it feels quite slow on most of these roads. Almost everyone goes at least 70km/h. Wink

And finally to correct a mistake. I stated that for the 1st test we took 26 practical lessons. Actually it's 13. Embarassed but rarely is there anyone who passes every 1 of them at their 1st try.

Ok, I'll end my "off-topic" rants here. Wink

Back to the topic at hand; what i feel is that riding is pretty dangerous. Therefoe I do agree that one should start off on a less "powerful" bike. You may not be able to handle all that power in an emergency even though in normal cond you may feel like you can. Less experience..

Just my 2 cents..
Joe Lohr
MTS: 2004 1000 DS (Black)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2005 2:08 am Reply with quote

1000cc is to big for a 1st bike. Sure you might do O.K.if you are mature
enough.( say 35 or so). but you can get yourself in trouble quicker on a bigger cc bike. 1000cc is not for learning, but if you have done some riding before you might be able to do it.

®ob
MTS: 2005 1000 DS (Red)

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 10:07 pm Reply with quote

A few weeks ago I test rode both the 620 and the 1000. I just have my licence, so I tried the 620 first. I found it a little bit nervous, but since I only rode a CB500 and a BWM Scarver before, I thought is was the L-twin that caused that. The sound was also not what I expected.
After that I said to myself: Ok I give it a shot, I'll try 1000 as well. I'm not experienced: the power is maybe a little to much but I want to have it tried once.
What a difference! The steering was just the same: direct and still easy. But the engine and gear part was much easier on the 1000! Smooooth. Now I know the feeling having a ducati under your butt Drool .
And the sound!! Ok the testride was on a second hand with Termis. But I got off with a big grin Mr. Green !

And guess what? I phoned my wife for permission and I ordered the 2005 red 1000! Just in time to have the 1000km (350 km to go) service before my first tour to Champagne in France.

I want to thank you all for your advice, after 650 km I think I made the right choice, there's no way back for me. I ordered some value for money things like the 14t sprocket and the rear hugger. Next week I will install the GPS (perfect pilot:Garmin 2610 with an extra craddle).

Rob