Multistrada Wiki
  About us
 Login

Username:

Password:

Log me on automatically each visit

Problems signing in?

Register

Forum index -   Wanna buy: Multistrada 1000 as first Bike?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Doc
MTS: 2003 1000 DS (Red)

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2005 2:41 pm Reply with quote

Glad you enjoy it Rob, ride safe and make the most out of your tour.

Regards,

Doc

rotheri
MTS: Not specified

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 4:48 pm Reply with quote

Ok, I'm currently going a little nuts over deciding between the MS 1000 and a Monster S2 as my first cycle. I've been riding a Vespa ET4 bored out to 190cc with pipes. So for a scooter, its about as fast as i care to go on small wheels in Manhattan city streets....aka minefields. I like to think I am good on the scooter, and am dying to get a bike, but more for rides to upstate NY on pretty good highways, and also for city riding of pretty short distances.

The S2 is the coolest looking bike I know, but the seat is a bit agressive for someone used to a scooter. The MS is much more natural, and if my wife is on the back there is no comparison to the S2.

My questions are, has anyone experienced both bikes?

If so, is the Monster very difficult to ride in cities?

How about on the highway or country rodes with a passenger?

How good is the MS in city and urban conditions?

I'm pretty conservative and know my limits, I'm not looking to get crazy, but to enjoy riding in the open air and would like to take some longer rides in the Upstate NY countryside.

Let me know what you think....and buy the way, this site is extremely helpful. I really thank you very much for taking the time to help.
Thanks, Rich R... nyc
BikerRN
MTS: 2006 620 (Red)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 11:57 am Reply with quote

Your first bike should be a cheap Japanese "beater" 10-20 years old.

I say this because even though you are taking classes you are in no way ready to handle everything that the "road" of motorcycling can throw at you. Start with a 250cc motorcycle that you bought used. Trash it for a year, drop it, (and you will), abuse it, and learn how to maintain it.

This will serve you well when you move up to a 620 Multistrada for your second bike. Around here a used 10 year old Jap bike can be bought and then sold a year later for what you paid for it. That way you are only out gas, tires, brakes and any other mechanical things you do to the bike.

Good luck and ride safe. Smile
BikerRN

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 12:12 pm Reply with quote

I should read all the post before replying. OK, you bought the 1000.

Now go put it in the garage and get a used 250cc to learn on. I'm pretty opinionated about this, been riding 14 years and have a wife that rides too. She started on a 250, as did I.

In fact, when the wife and I went to Australia 2 years ago I borrowed my Father In_Law's 250cc bike to travel around his farm town on. 3 months later when I came back home I found that the little 250 had improved my skills a bunch!

There is something to be said for a forgiving, easy to ride and lightweight bike. It may not look cool or impress the ladies, but I don't ride for the ladies or care about looking cool. Coolness comes from within as far as I'm concerned.

Take care and I hope you get through the "Learning Curve" on your 1000. I will keep my fingers crossed for you.
chebello

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 12:20 pm Reply with quote

I don't know what US bikers think about that, but every french rider would tell you that a 1000 twin is not a good choice for a first bike. The engine is much too rough.
Here we often begin to ride with a 600 japanese 4 in line. In low rpm, the bike is smooth, a little lazy, just like it has to be for a beginer. Higher, you can find if you really want a little more fun.
If you want to have some character, you can get a 620 ( mostro or mts ). These are also good bikes for beginers.
We also think in Europe that it's better for a beginer not to buy a new bike, due to the risk of falling.

Be carefull, and wait a year before getting a 1000 twin.

chebello

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 1:00 pm Reply with quote

Good advice chebello. By the way I'm a US Biker, got the Harley tats to prove it. Wink

I know what you are saying about the 600 but I recommend an even "smaller" bike to start with. If a beginner hits the powerband on an in-line 4 at the wrong time they are in for a rude awakening.

Take care and ride safe.
Leoj

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 3:01 am Reply with quote

I'll thow in my 02 cents. I posed the same question on another board when I was searching for my first bike. Had no idea what I wanted and was actually set on another italian mfr. but I digress. ...
It comes down to your abilities as a rider, which you will not know until you start riding in real world situations. Take your riding course and then decide. I chose an MTS 620 based on many suggestions that beginners should start with a 600cc. Well, 3 1/2 months later I already purchased a 992cc. It comes down to skill, ability and respect for what the motorcycle can do which is out perform you at this stage of riding. Not many riders respect that and get in trouble. There is also the "drop factor" which will inevitably happen. If you can absorb the financial impact, then go for it. One sales person told me a long time ago before I purchased a bike, "find the one you like and learn how to ride it." I thought that he was insane, but in hind sight, he was dead on in my situation.

I hope that this has added more confusion and good luck. Razz

Adventure Rider
MTS: 2004 1000 DS (Red)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 2:06 pm Reply with quote

I come down on the side that says the MTS 1000 would not be a good first bike for most people. It would be a good first Ducati for someone who hasn't ridden Ducatis or performance bikes, but not a good first bike. I would suggest the 620, or the Suzuki SV/SVS 650 as a good first bike for someone wanting to start in sport bikes - that is unless you are taking a *lot* of lessons and spending a lot of hours getting very good instruction and experience - something most people don't do; they usually just hop on the bike and roar off into the sunset, often to get hurt.
Steeltoe

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 3:13 am Reply with quote

Most, if not all veteran riders will tell you to start small,
build your skills and gain experience thru the miles,
months, and years ahead. Move up when you feel you have
outgrown the smaller bike. What is the hurry?
If you were learning to fly, would you start out in a jet?
No, they will teach you in a Cessna 152 or equivalent.
Don't forget to take the MSF ER course (here in the USA)
after 3000 miles or so of experience. Not to learn how
to go fast, but to educate you in how to survive on the
mean streets. To ride smarter and safer.
I started out at age 15 on my brothers Honda S90.
My training? "one down, and three up". What a joke, eh?
There was no formal training then.
I moved up to a 160, 350 (my first new bike, age 17)
then a 450, 750, 885, and now I have had 4 bikes of 1000
or 1100 cc's. There are still things to learn.
Don't start out on a 1000. Only the newbies will tell you
it is okay. Not the veterans.
wayward
MTS: 2004 1000 DS (Black)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 4:15 am Reply with quote

Adventure Rider wrote:
I come down on the side that says the MTS 1000 would not be a good first bike for most people. It would be a good first Ducati for someone who hasn't ridden Ducatis or performance bikes, but not a good first bike. I would suggest the 620, or the Suzuki SV/SVS 650 as a good first bike for someone wanting to start in sport bikes - that is unless you are taking a *lot* of lessons and spending a lot of hours getting very good instruction and experience - something most people don't do; they usually just hop on the bike and roar off into the sunset, often to get hurt.
I agree except instead of the SV, I would suggest a Yamaha YZ125 or YZ250 as a first bike. Whistle

merrak
MTS: 2006 1000 DS (Red)

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 12:42 pm Reply with quote

chris92 wrote:
hi rob
I was going to say that it would be fine to get the 1000 as a first
bike. I had 3 months on a sport 600 4 on a vfr and 3 on a new mad 600 before moving away from the dark side into the light.

Generally I short shift alot (change gear early) and potter around and other times I'm honing around like mad so you can do both on the 1000
I feel the multi is easy to ride more so than the 600's due to the riding position etc BUT

After reading what Ian had to say I agree with him as well and maybe time is better spent on a 600 or so learning the trade and also seeing if you like it. Doing your test and then using a bike i think are two different things and having a multi in the garage just looking good??????? I don't know

Hope you can make sense of all that

Chris

I run and bike through a lot of benefits. Although it is lower still very good.
VTMulti
MTS: 2005 1000 DS (Red)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 12:31 am Reply with quote

Seven years ago, I bought a leftover '05 1000DS as my first bike. THe owner of now defunct BCM Motorsports in Laconia, made the argument that the 1000 might actually be easier to ride than the 620 because the engine's greater torque would require less shifting to ride well. Who knows? It was a good excuse to buy the bike I wanted.

Anyway, I had it delivered to my home the day after I completed the MSF course. It worked out fine, although I must confess that living in Vermont I didn't have much traffic to contend with as I was practicing. Never dropped it, took it on a 2,000 mile solo ride my second season.

I love the bike , although I sold it to a colleague last year - been riding a BMW R1200 Rt for four years because of its greater comfort on my long rides.

Now thinking about a Multi 1200 GT - more fun.

I am 6'3"" now 64 years old

I say, if you want the bike go for t.

2005 Ducati Multistrada 1000DS (red)
2009 BMW R1200RT (blue)