Multistrada Wiki
  About us
 Login

Username:

Password:

Log me on automatically each visit

Problems signing in?

Register

Forum index -   Wanna buy: Should 2009 1100s come with a red key?
DFO
MTS: 2009 1100S (Red)

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 12:11 pm Reply with quote

Looking at a second hand 2009 1100s. Owner does not remember ever receiving a red key when he purchased the bike. He has two black keys and a code card. I need to know for sure whether this model year came with the red master key. Hoping you guys will be able to settle this for me.

Thanks!
adb
MTS: 2007 1100S (Black)

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 12:32 pm Reply with quote

What do the black keys look like? My '09 M696 has a totally different key than my '07 1100S. The monster key is a high security chip key, and it's a wider flatter key with a groove pattern in the middle. The multi key looks like a regular cut key. If it's the newer key, then no, it doesn't come with a red key. There'll be 2 black keys and a code card only.

MTS: 2009 1100S (White)

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 12:58 pm Reply with quote

Yup, should have a red key. I bought mine new and one red key came with the bike, along with two black keys, and a code card.

2020 Husqvarna 701 Enduro
OceanMt_InlandSea
MTS: 2009 1100S (Black)

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 1:18 pm Reply with quote

Yes red key should be there......for the Ducati dealer to be able to do something or other to the ecm.

DFO

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 1:57 pm Reply with quote

Thanks for the quick responses! I believe the guy selling the bike is being honest but maybe he put it somewhere and forgot all about it. I just don't want to be stuck with an expensive problem down the road if I can't get a replacement key cut. Don't know what it is but I have a habit of misplacing my bike key.
OceanMt_InlandSea
MTS: 2009 1100S (Black)

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 6:21 pm Reply with quote

You might want to check into the key with a Ducati dealer, because you just can't cut these keys because of the immobilizer.

Best to call a dealer and ask them to explain what the red key is used for and how you could get a new one if you happened to loose it.........naturally their first thought may be that you have a hot bike, so don't be surprised if there is a pause in the conversation.

vern748
MTS: 2006 620 (Gray)

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 7:36 pm Reply with quote

The red key can be cut to fit your bike, but more correctly, its not really the key, its the chip on the key that's needed. You can't just buy a new RED key. You need to purchase a entire lock and dash set unless you buy a "hacked" dash.

If your ECU went belly up, the Red key would be needed to "re-program". Its not needed for servicing the bike. I have had my MultiStrada for 7 years now and don't have the RED key and have never needed it. My bike has an aftermarket exhaust and we have adjusted the air/fuel ratio, all without the RED key. So, is it critical, maybe, maybe not, you need to decide.

Also, Ducati stopped the RED key thing in 08ish, so the bike may not have come with one. You need to verify with Ducati
OR
As some mentioned, some dealers hung onto the RED key, just in case. So, when the bike was purchased, the buyer never got the RED key. You need to check with the dealer. This practice was not universal, so some dealers did this but most did not.

If you do what I did, get indigent with the seller about the whole RED key thing (even though I did know better ) and he took another $500 off the price.

MTS: 2006 620 (Gray)

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 8:02 pm Reply with quote

OceanMt_InlandSea wrote:
...... because you just can't cut these keys because of the immobilizer.

This is not quite correct. If you have a functional BLACK key, most any car lock smith can cut you a new key. Autos have been using this technology for years now. The key RF readers are pretty standard items for auto lock smiths. They take your working BLACK key, clone the signal / code onto the blank and then cut you a new key. This cloned / new BLACK key will work just like the standard BLACK key. While the lock smith is cutting the code, have him write the RF code down for you.

The key code card has the code which can be punched into the RF reader to program the BLACK blank key. With this code you can remake a BLACK key even if you have lost all your other keys. (this does not take into account the work it will take to duplicate the teeth pattern of the lock.)

PS. I have never attempted to clone / cut a RED key, so dont know if this will also work for making a duplicate RED key.

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 4:40 pm Reply with quote

Phoned the dealer and was told that the bike "should" have come with a red key but they can't verify through their records that it did. Owner says the PDI checklist he received mentions 2 black keys but not a red one. Sort of sounds like it never existed. From what I understand I can replace black keys as long as I have the code card but it's still kind of maddening. Why can't someone say definitively that a 2009 MTS did or did not require a red key? You guys here have been the most helpful so thanks! I'm not sure that I will let this stand in the way of me finally owning a multistrada either way though. Sounds like lots of people are enjoying their rides without the almighty red key.