Password:

Log me on automatically each visit

Problems signing in?

Register

Forum index -   Wanna buy: Buying New vs Used
cjburbank
MTS: 2006 1000 DS (Red)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 11:15 am Reply with quote

I've got a couple opportunities lurking my way right now. I've got a chance to pick up a 2004 1000DS (2000 miles) or 2005 1000DS (4400 miles). Since I don't know much about Ducati's engines and/or past problems, how safe am I for buying a bike from this year? They both have low mileage and seem to be in good shape, judging by the photos. Both are members of this message board and seem like they have baby'd these bikes. I've been asking a lot of questions on this board, and I appreciate the feedback. Here are my questions on buying used;

1) Will the maintenance cost be more on the 2004 and 2005 than the newer models? (Ducati is advertising that there is 50% less maintenance cost on more recent models)

2) With no warranty, am I exposing myself to a potential money pit?

3) Am I better off buying new because of the warranty and dealership/customer loyalty?

4) Are dealerships keen on bringing a bike in, from a 3rd party, to be looked over before I buy?

As one dealer put it, "when a person buys a Ducati, it's very rare that they are going to turn around in sell it." It seems to prove true as I have searched high and low for a used MTS at New England & NY dealerships and have come up with nothing, at least with low mileage. I've seen 1 with over 13K.

Sorry to be a blabbering idiot, but this is a big purchase for me and I want to be sure. Not knowing much about engines on motorcycles, and anything that uses one for that matter, I just don't want to set myself up.

Thanks.............again!
Think
stal1us
MTS: 2005 1000 DS (Gray)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 1:13 pm Reply with quote

Seacoast Sport Cycle in Derry, NH has a brand new 2005 leftover on Craigslist.org for 8995.00 . At this price it's peace of mind to get the 2 year warranty. If you are going to buy a used bike make sure that the valve guides have been done. When speaking with Miles at BCM he feels that almost all the 04's and 05's have this issue. BCM did mine at 11000 miles and had to replace not only the guides but also the exhaust valves. Ducati paid for the whole job, parts and labor. Other than this issue the bike has been great and I can say that its the most fun ride I've ever had.

sale-499802369@craigslist.org
Scrambles

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 2:06 pm Reply with quote

Buying used can get you a great deal if you find one that's been well taken care of.
'05's can have valve guide problems - lots of info here about that. But '05's have the taller windscreen and a better seat.
'04's have the crappy sidestand that needs to be replaced under warranty, if it hasn't already been done.

That is quite a deal on a new leftover '05 listed above. If you can stretch that far, snap it up!

cjburbank wrote:
3) Am I better off buying new because of the warranty and dealership/customer loyalty?

Oh, that was funny!

MTS: 2004 1000 DS (Red)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 3:31 pm Reply with quote

I buy all my bikes used, I like to buy them after someone else has fixed them all up. Got my 04 Ducati with 8,000 miles after the previous owner installed the DP airbox, ECU and Termignoni exhaust, and the DP hard luggage.
I've added Staintune head pipes and CAT eliminator, Sargent Seat, and had the original 04 side stand replaced under warranty by a dealership that did'nt even sell the bike to the original owner. So far at 25,000 miles not valve guide issues.

MTS: 2004 1000 DS (Black)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 6:52 pm Reply with quote

falcofred wrote:
I buy all my bikes used, I like to buy them after someone else has fixed them all up.

That's what I do as well.

I got my '04 MTS1000 earlier this year with only 3300 miles for $7100. It had the DP top case and side panniers, Termi pipes and ECU, DP heat grips, DP hand guards, and crankcase breather filter.

What do some of the bikes you mentioned have? For how much?

MTS: 2004 1000 DS (Black)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 7:31 pm Reply with quote

cjburbank wrote:

1) Will the maintenance cost be more on the 2004 and 2005 than the newer models? (Ducati is advertising that there is 50% less maintenance cost on more recent models)

No...everything between them is the same. 50% less maint. didn't take effect until 2007 models. Both will likely require valve guides as mentioned previously.

2) With no warranty, am I exposing myself to a potential money pit?

Sure...but you're paying less. would you rather have peace of mind or $$? Very Happy I go back and forth. My Multi was used because it's a simple 2V engine. My 848 will be brand new because its not.

Depends on the dealer. Our local dealer definitely remembers you and treats you right. Not all are like that though. Confused Warranty is always nice though.

4) Are dealerships keen on bringing a bike in, from a 3rd party, to be looked over before I buy?

They don't mind. Most dealerships make a large % of their profit on service. They don't care who you bought the bike from...they're always willing to service it. They'll probably charge you an hour labor to llok it over.

As one dealer put it, "when a person buys a Ducati, it's very rare that they are going to turn around in sell it."

That dealer is a moron. Ducatis aren't collector items...they're just motorcycles. You can always find used ones. There are only less used Ducatis than Hondas for instance, because less are sold to begin with. I hate dealers that say shit like that.

http://www.multistrada.net/forum/viewtop...light=monstrada
K-Man
MTS: 2004 1000 DS (Red)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 11:31 pm Reply with quote

As others have said, used bike can be a very good deal. If you're comfortable without warranty coverage or whatever coverage remains from the original purchase.
From what you've mentioned, you aren't handy around the tools, so warranty coverage may be worth more to you than a deal on a used bike. The 1000DS (or 1100) are very tough motors, the bottom end is very solid, I can't imagine one of these being a money pit.
I think you're from NE so there are some very reputable dealers or very knowledgeable independants there that can keep you happy.

Please realize that nothing changed on the bikes for them to claim 50 % reduction in service costs. It's all marketing. Look how they did the math by extending the service intervals. No problem with extended intervals, the "old" intervals were conservative anyway.

I love my Multi, bought it with 1500 km's from the dealer, with leftover warranty. but I will do all the work on it, and at 38000 km's it brings a smile to my face every ride. It's running very well, this winter is going to be mostly chassis maintenance.

I've had all the common issues brought up on this board and have fixed them all myself except the valve guides (which I paid for because I wanted to get them done by MBP), and I turned that into lemonade by installing the big bore kit at the same time. Aside from normal maintenance parts, the only part I bought was the shifter return spring, all the rest were repaired without anything but my time.
If I would have paid somebody for all the work that I did, I'd probably be disappointed. But I'd still love the Multi, I'd just be a bit poorer, if that's possible!

There are all kinds of Duc's being sold everyday. That dealer is just blowing smoke up your ass. The fact is that there aren't many Multistrada's sold in the first place, so choice is limited. It's up to you to find your comfort zone, but I personally wouldn't worry about mileage. The state it's in at that moment and documented serviceis more is more important.

That being said, I just bought a Guzzi Norge, and if I like the more relaxed ride, I'll probably be selling the Multi. I'm just not sure yet, I'm afraid I'll miss the Duc!

Regards,

Kai
chip81

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 2:54 am Reply with quote

I would definatly go for the 05 multi. Like the other guy said a better seat and a taller wind shield. The only problem I have had so far is that my fuel sensor went and it is going to be fixed under warrenty. Check out BCM in Laconia NH. Just a great group of guys up there. Les,Miles and all the people up there are just so helpful.
Dave