Multistrada Wiki
  About us
 Login

Username:

Password:

Log me on automatically each visit

Problems signing in?

Register

Forum index -   Wanna buy: Closer to buying 06 1000S - advice please ! ! !
CSF
No Multistrada

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 1:26 am Reply with quote

I posted before that I am looking at an 06 red 1000s. I am really close to pulling the trigger. But I have a couple of questions - if anyone could answer I would be very greatful.

First, the bike has only 90 (ninety) miles on it, all stock, but it is a private sale - not a dealer. It has three months left on the factory warranty. I can buy it for $8900 - but then I would absolutely buy the two year extended warranty from Ducati for $540 - so total would be $9440. After taxes, registration, etc I will be right at $10k. I assume thats a pretty good deal for an "S".

First question - I'm 6'2" and weigh 225 lbs - are the Ohlins strong or stiff enough for me, or will I need more suspension work? I ride 2 lane, 4 lane and back country roads and - never on a track or the super highways.

Second question - The engine number on the bike is one with the bad valve guides. Should I have those repaired immediately, at the 600 mile service, or wait for a problem to develop?

Last Question - I have a 03 Honda now, 11,000 miles without a single problem. I really can't have two motorcycles and need to sell the Honda to help buy the Ducati. Most here seem to have more than one bike - is the Ducati reliable enough to be my only bike?

I really think I'm going to buy this bike - so any answers would be really helpful. Thank you so much. Craig
Habanero
MTS: 2006 1000S DS (Custom colour)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 1:56 am Reply with quote

that is a great deal, Craig. I have the same bike and have had zero problems with it, I have 15,000 miles on it now.

I am your size, about 15lbs lighter, and ride hard. The suspension is just fine, in fact, it is excellent.

Don't even concern yourself with the valve guide problem until the 12,000 service, even then, it may not actually show up.

buy it, ride it hard, and love it.

enjoy, scott
DharmaChappell
MTS: 2007 1100S (Black)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 1:58 am Reply with quote

That sounds like a rather fine deal. I paid a good deal more for my '07 S a year ago. Just paid for the extended Ever Red warranty last month for the added piece of mind. There has to be a story about the 90 miles. Did the owner have the Dash replaced for some problem? Think I had 600 miles on the bike in about 35 days in Central Oregon's January.

I'm 6'3" 210lb (dry) 225# full gear and will be buying the stiffer Olins rear spring through my local shop @ $110. If you take the bike to a Ducati dealer worth their salt, they will setup the suspension for you after installing the spring. For the time being, crank down the preload on the rear to almost full ON. You are likely 240+ with full gear so the higher capacity spring will give you some head room and allow for 2 up riding without dragging parts and poor handling.

Are you sure this is an '06 with a suspect VIN? Must be a very early '06 as most talk on this message board is that the valve guide issue was solved during the MY'05 run. The major + on this bike your talking about is the super low indicated miles and the "S" package. What do the tires look like and where did the owner buy the bike from? Maybe some Due Dilligence is in order.
(Http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Due_diligence)

Sounds promising. Keep us posted with your findings.

-Dharma
CSF
No Multistrada

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 2:18 am Reply with quote

Dharma - thanks for the nice reply. I have researched the bike completely, and it is a good one with 90 real miles. The owner unfortunately was rear-ended in his car right after he bought it. He suffered a back injury and put the bike in his basement until he could ride it. But his back got worse, he had to have surgery, and is still having alot of trouble. He tried to sell he bike this summer for $9900, but could not find a buyer. I saw it advertised in a local motorcycle shop. I called the owner. He's probably never going to ride again and doesn't want to keep it until spring so he offered it to me for $8900 immediately. It's been indoors and looks brand new. I figured its a good deal.

I found the engine numbers with the bad guides on this forum, and he read me the number on his bike. Its definitely an 06, but the engine number seems to be in the bad group. Maybe its an early 06 as you say.

In fact, I guess I may need a battery and some fresh oil as its been sitting so long.

Thanks again - I'll post if I take it. Craig
CSF
No Multistrada

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 2:20 am Reply with quote

Scott thanks for the reply - great answers, very encouraging. Thanks again, Craig
Habanero
MTS: 2006 1000S DS (Custom colour)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 2:34 am Reply with quote

CSF wrote:
Scott thanks for the reply - great answers, very encouraging. Thanks again, Craig

you bet...
cartroadie
MTS: 2006 1000S DS (Red)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 3:06 am Reply with quote

Sounds like a good price. I bought a used 06 1000 S in July with 1400 miles on it for $9500. Have 8,000 miles on it now and no valve guide problems yet. Don't expect any, but time will tell.

I'm 5'11" and weigh 230. Have the preload set to correct sag with the stock springs. Don't ride two up so loaded w/luggage only adds about 20 to 25 lbs. Set the sag for your maximum load. If you can reach the correct settings then no need to change springs.

My bike is very dependable, but remember Ducati has no parts warehouse in the US. So if your dealer has to order the part needed it comes from Italy. From my experience most of the dealers here in So Cal have a reasonable supply of expendable parts and receive about one delivery a week.

Buy it and enjoy it!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 3:06 am Reply with quote

Sounds like a good price. I bought a used 06 1000 S in July with 1400 miles on it for $9500. Have 8,000 miles on it now and no valve guide problems yet. Don't expect any, but time will tell.

I'm 5'11" and weigh 230. Have the preload set to correct sag with the stock springs. Don't ride two up so loaded w/luggage only adds about 20 to 25 lbs. Set the sag for your maximum load. If you can reach the correct settings then no need to change springs.

My bike is very dependable, but remember Ducati has no parts warehouse in the US. So if your dealer has to order the part needed it comes from Italy. From my experience most of the dealers here in So Cal have a reasonable supply of expendable parts and receive about one delivery a week.

Buy it and enjoy it!

MTS: 2006 1000 DS (Red)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 1:44 pm Reply with quote

CSF wrote:
I found the engine numbers with the bad guides on this forum, and he read me the number on his bike. Its definitely an 06, but the engine number seems to be in the bad group. Maybe its an early 06 as you say.

Craig, the valve guide/engine number information on this site appears to be missing some data, this bike may not have an issue. Did you confirm the engine number with your dealer? At the same time, you could do us all a service by re-confirming the engine number range with your dealer and posting the information on this site. Also, just because an engine falls in the range listed with bad guides doesn't mean it's going to develop a problem, and Ducati will not fix it unless a problem actually develops.

MTS: 2004 1000 DS (Black)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 10:33 am Reply with quote

Hi - The MTS is not a commuter - it needs lots of love, attention and a big fat wallet to keep it going. Keep your Honda, ride the MTS at weekends and ride outs. Seriously, my MTS cost me its purchase price every year in upkeep and faults.

I'm not saying that it isnt a brilliant bike - but just remember that it isnt Japanese and it will cost you a fortune.

John
ads109

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 3:54 pm Reply with quote

Purchase price in upkeep each year? What the heck did you buy? Or did you only pay $500US for the bike?

My 2006 MTS has needed nothing repaired that I didn't break myself, except for a gasket (fuel pump flange?) replaced under warranty. The bike has about 5K on it right now. So far, so good.

I realize that our bikes aren't Japanese, but this isn't 1970, either.
potomacduc
MTS: 2004 1000 DS (Black)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 7:30 pm Reply with quote

I'm not a commuter and I only put 4-5K miles per year on a bike, but after 18,000 miles on a Monster and 4,000 miles on an MTS I have had virtually no problems with my Ducs. The Monster had a leaking gas tank that was repaired under warranty. Otherwise, it's just been gas, oil, tires, chains, sprockets and scheduled maintenance. Granted, the scheduled maintenance is more frequent and does cost more than on some Japanese bikes, but the differences are not dramatic.
Scrambles
MTS: 2006 1000 DS (Red)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 10:08 pm Reply with quote

CSF wrote:
I have recently bought an 06 MTS, manufactured in August 05, with 85 miles on it.....

Looks like he pulled the trigger some time ago....

(good move!)