Multistrada Wiki
  About us
 Login

Username:

Password:

Log me on automatically each visit

Problems signing in?

Register

Forum index -   Wanna buy: Considering a MTS - concern about seat height?
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Rich D
MTS: Not specified

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 1:11 am Reply with quote

I'm seriously thinking about getting a Multistrada 1100S this year. I should be able to do a demo ride in a few weeks so I will know more in a little while.

One thing that concerns me is the seat height. I sat on one at a motorcycle show last month and thought the seat height was a little high and was wondering if that might be an issue. I'm 5'9" and 180 lbs with a 30 inch inseam. Anyone around that size have an issue with seat height?

Also, I was told that it might be possible to lower the rear suspension to bring the height down. Doesn't that compromise handling?

'01 ST1100 - for sale
'02 SV650 - for sale
'96 KLR250
Admiral Nelson
No Multistrada

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 5:30 am Reply with quote

Hey Buddy (Short asse) Whistle

I have only test ridden my bike and pick it up saturday Very Happy I am 5'7" with a 30" inside leg. Although the seat height is described as 850mm, I have no problems reaching the floor comfortably due to the bike being narrow and the shape of the seat. Take a test ride and try.

Kev

'Its not the size of dog in the fight, but the size of the fight in the dog'
Fishwagon
MTS: 2007 1100S (Black)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 9:06 am Reply with quote

Hey Rich,

I live pretty close to you in Bethlehem, and there is an excellent dealer just south of you in Watkinsville called NPR Ducati. Give Paul a call there (706 310 0002) and he'll be able to answer all your questions. He really knows Ducati's in and out.

There is a ride height adjustment you can make if equipped with the Ohlins which all 08's are as I believe Ducati got rid of the "non-S" version.

Rich

Father, thank you, for letting me fly this flight, for the privilege of being able to be in this position, to be in this wondrous place, seeing all these many startling, wonderful things that you have created.

- Gordon Cooper, orbiting earth, 22May1963
Rich D

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 10:55 am Reply with quote

Hi Rich in Bethlehem

Yes, I know about NPR. In fact I went to their grand opening last year. And Nathan has done work on my ST.

They just sold their last Multi a few weeks ago so they have none to demo. But Atlanta Triumph Ducati is having a open house in a few weeks so I thought I would go to ATL and check out some of their bikes.

If I do buy the Multi this year, it will be through NPR. They're good people.

It's good to know that the sesat height is not a major issue. Does anyone have the touring gel seat? Does that make a big difference? People say the oem seat is a torture device on long trips, so I would consider getting one for touring.

Rich in Athens

'01 ST1100 - for sale
'02 SV650 - for sale
'96 KLR250
JJW
MTS: 2007 1100 (Red)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 11:44 am Reply with quote

Rich D wrote:
I'm seriously thinking about getting a Multistrada 1100S this year. I should be able to do a demo ride in a few weeks so I will know more in a little while.

One thing that concerns me is the seat height. I sat on one at a motorcycle show last month and thought the seat height was a little high and was wondering if that might be an issue. I'm 5'9" and 180 lbs with a 30 inch inseam. Anyone around that size have an issue with seat height?

Also, I was told that it might be possible to lower the rear suspension to bring the height down. Doesn't that compromise handling?

That's my height/weight exactly. It seems a little daunting at first but after a whole 3 seconds, I was fine with it. No lowering link required, however the adjustable stock link in the rear is adjustable and I have mine as short as possible.

1976 Lambretta Serveta 150Li
squid vicious
MTS: 2004 1000 DS (Red)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 2:37 pm Reply with quote

I'm actually an inch shorter and have not found a need for any lowering. In fact, I have a bout an inch *added* for better cornering clearance. All it means is I only have one foot down at a time and I have to hop off and push it if I need to back up. 3yrs and 21k miles later....I still won't trade it for anything.
Fishwagon
MTS: 2007 1100S (Black)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 4:22 pm Reply with quote

Rich,

Paul at NPR Ducati also has these adjustment rods that give you at least 30mm adjustment in ride height. I think they are about $100

Rich

Last edited by Fishwagon on Thu Apr 17, 2008 5:27 pm; edited 5 times in total

Father, thank you, for letting me fly this flight, for the privilege of being able to be in this position, to be in this wondrous place, seeing all these many startling, wonderful things that you have created.

- Gordon Cooper, orbiting earth, 22May1963
Scrambles
MTS: 2006 1000 DS (Red)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 4:38 pm Reply with quote

Rich D wrote:

I'm about the same height and at first it was a problem, it always felt like I was going to drop it. I got used to it though, and now I only notice it when I'm mounting while parked on an incline. BTW, the Hypermotard has a higher seat in my experience.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 4:44 pm Reply with quote

Rich D,

I was in the same boat as you (concerned about the seat height) and at the end of the day, I went with the Multi. I am 5' 8" with a 30” inseam and like a few others here on the forum, have had the ride height raised with no problems.

Get in a demo ride to see for yourself it the fit is for you. I tried the Buell Ulysses, Ducati ST3, and the Honda Interceptor on for size, and after a ride on the Multi I was convinced it was the ride for me.

Good luck on your decision.
Take care,
Joe
jachew

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 4:44 pm Reply with quote

Rich D,

I was in the same boat as you (concerned about the seat height) and at the end of the day, I went with the Multi. I am 5' 8" with a 30” inseam and like a few others here on the forum, have had the ride height raised with no problems.

Get in a demo ride to see for yourself it the fit is for you. I tried the Buell Ulysses, Ducati ST3, and the Honda Interceptor on for size, and after a ride on the Multi I was convinced it was the ride for me.

Good luck on your decision.
Take care,
Joe
rasty
MTS: 2005 620 (Red)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 7:09 pm Reply with quote

Don't even worry about the seat height at 5'9"

As a few members will testify, I have possibly the shortest legs on this site -- at 5'9" I would probably feel cramped!! Laughing
Rich D

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 8:04 pm Reply with quote

Well I did sit on an MTS on Saturday and will take a demo ride this week. I'm not sure why I thought the sea was going to be so high. Maybe the way it was set up on the stand at the motorcycle show.

I'm not able to flat-foot it, but in fact I think I got more of my feet down on the MTS than I do on the Honda ST. Interesting. So no real worries on that point.

Thanks for all who replied.

'01 ST1100 - for sale
'02 SV650 - for sale
'96 KLR250
mxwinky
MTS: 2005 1000S DS (Red)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 7:16 pm Reply with quote

I am virtually the same size as you and I have no troubles with the height of my MTS. However it may be worth noting that I've spent my entire riding life racing dirt bikes which have grown incredibly tall over the years as suspension travel has gone from 4" in the early '70s to 12" today. So tall bikes feel normal to me. That being said, the only issues are getting on/off the bike and putting feet (or foot) down when stopped.
If you're one of those guys who likes getting his feet firmly planted on terra firma, go for the lower link option to drop the ride height. If you're an old dirt biker like me who doesn't care if he's tippy-toed, just go for it stock. Either way it's a damn fine bike and you'll love it.
Sonic Duck
MTS: 2006 1000S DS (Black)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 7:31 pm Reply with quote

Rich D wrote:
Well I did sit on an MTS on Saturday and will take a demo ride this week. I'm not sure why I thought the sea was going to be so high. Maybe the way it was set up on the stand at the motorcycle show.

I'm not able to flat-foot it, but in fact I think I got more of my feet down on the MTS than I do on the Honda ST. Interesting. So no real worries on that point.

Hey Rich, I find myself at NPR a good bit, let me know and I'll let you take my Multi for a spin!

Don't think I'm heading up this weekend but I'll be in Athens for the Charity ride on Feb 24th.
mollycbr123
MTS: 2008 1100S (Red)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 8:25 pm Reply with quote

Rich D wrote:

Same size as you Rich (with the same 30 inch inseam), and also a long time Honda ST owner. The Multi is so light and narrow compared to the Honda, that keeping it up is no problem at all, regardless of the higher seat height. You might want to do a few hip stretches to get used to swinging a leg over, but after that you'll be fine.

'12 Multistrada S Touring
Yes, I do miss my air cooled multi...
Brand spanking new '16 Thruxton R