Multistrada Wiki
  About us
 Login

Username:

Password:

Log me on automatically each visit

Problems signing in?

Register

Forum index -   Wanna buy: 2005 Multistrada DS-1000 w/4332 miles - $8995??
vikingarcher
No Multistrada

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 2:27 pm Reply with quote

I'm intrigued by this Multistrada listed at $8995. It's in very good condition and stock except for a Sargent seat.

I have not ridden for 20 yrs but want to put something exciting between my legs again. I am considering a used BMW 1200 GS or a new 2007 Buell Ulysses, but there's something about this bike that keeps me going back to it.

What price do you think would be a good deal for this one?
I plan to take some long rides and do some touring. I don't plan to do any hardcore off roading, but want to be able to ride on gravel and dirt roads - would I be crazy to go with a Multistrada?
How would you rate the 2005 for realiability?

Thanks for any and all comments!!
Scrambles
MTS: 2006 1000 DS (Red)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 2:47 pm Reply with quote

Well, there's ton's of info on this site, search keyword "reliability" and you'll get hours of reading. Basically these bike are great. There are a few quirks about them, but nothing major maintenance wise. Sounds like for your purposes, the Multi would be perfect. Lots of members here use the Multi on gravel/rough roads, and all seem to agree it's great for that. Of the 3 bikes you listed, the Multi has the most soul and probably the best sport ability.

How many miles? Is it an "S" model? MY2005 is most affected by the "soft valve guide" issue, check to see if this work has been done, but it may not need it if it hasn't.

This price seems quite high even if it only has a few 1000 miles on it, unless it is an S model. I'm thinking $7-8k for a very low miles non "S" in great shape.

MTS: 2006 1000S DS (Red)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 2:53 pm Reply with quote

I assume you're dealing with a dealer, not a private party, because if it's not an 'S' model, that's not a good price at all.

Even for an 'S' model, the price is a bit on the high side for what is now a three year old bike.

I got my 2006 S model in the fall of '07 for $8,500 including a sport chock for the front wheel and a DP pit stand for the rear wheel. The bike had 1,900 miles on it when I bought it. The bike did have minor scratches and one paint chip from contact with a bicycle while being trailered.

Good luck with your search -- it's a great bike! I've done a few days in the 200-300 mile range with no discomfort at all.
vikingarcher
No Multistrada

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 3:02 pm Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply Scrambles and ads109!
This is at a dealer (they handle those German bikes Surprised , but are really nice) I don't believe that it is an S model, so with 4332 miles and no extras except for a seat, sounds like they really need to negotiate.

I'm getting seduced by this bike, especially since it's local and in great shape. It's been sitting there for a while and may be a consignment bike if I remember correctly. Any thoughts on what you think would be a good deal?
tigertim955
MTS: 2005 1000S DS (Red)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 3:14 pm Reply with quote

We've done consecutive 1000 km days two-up on an '05 S model and wouldn't hesitate to reccomend the MTS to anyone. It's, by far , the most satisfying bike I've ever ridden. There's minor quirks, but the over-all experience is unique. The Multi has a character that riders of other bikes don't understand.
It's easy to poetic about these bikes but they're a great machine. You're NOT riding with the herd on a Ducati.
As for ( fucking ) BMW Think ........... I've heard people like them.

One thing -- if you buy used MAKE SURE you get the RED KEY and CODE CARD .

MTS: 2006 1000 DS (Red)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 4:36 pm Reply with quote

Even if this particular one doesn't work out, there are still plenty to go around...keep shopping.

No Multistrada

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 1:59 am Reply with quote

Well, it's dangerous to go to a dealer that has bikes in stock. There are plenty of bikes around, but I just couldn't resist getting a new bike.

I just bought a 2008 MTS 1100 S on Saturday. It's going to be delivered tomorrow. Thanks for the guidance.

Mr. Green Mr. Green Mr. Green Mr. Green
potomacduc
MTS: 2004 1000 DS (Black)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 2:19 am Reply with quote

Congrats Clap
I live in VA, but lived the first 32 years of my life in MI. Enjoy the new bike!
ej
MTS: 2007 1100S (Red)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 12:13 pm Reply with quote

Congratz on the new bike! Clap Throw some pics up when you get a chance. i would love to hear your riding impression when you get some miles on her.
Eric
mollycbr123
MTS: 2008 1100S (Red)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 1:34 pm Reply with quote

vikingarcher wrote:
Well, it's dangerous to go to a dealer that has bikes in stock. There are plenty of bikes around, but I just couldn't resist getting a new bike.

I just bought a 2008 MTS 1100 S on Saturday. It's going to be delivered tomorrow. Thanks for the guidance.

Mr. Green Mr. Green Mr. Green Mr. Green

Same yr/model bike I bought about 3 months ago. You will love it. I've had absolutely no issues with my bike at all, and I'm beginning to think of it as the most fun bike I've ever owned!

Congrats!

'12 Multistrada S Touring
Yes, I do miss my air cooled multi...
Brand spanking new '16 Thruxton R