Problems signing in?

Register

Forum index -   Wanna buy: 2005 1000s DS vs BMW R 1200 GS
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
rous44
MTS: Not specified

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 4:47 pm Reply with quote

DJvdG,
I happen to own both the 1200GS and a '04 Multistrada. They are very different bikes but both very good. I don't think, overall, you will get an unbiased opinion in this forum. And rightfully so; we are Multistrada enthusiast here. Go the GS website and you will get the opposite opinion.
I will tell you this, you won't be unhappy with either purchase. I love them both. One is a stiletto, the other a broadsword.
Riding the same roads on both bikes, the difference in speed is mostly in perception. The multi seems faster, but comparing speedometers and et's, they are the same. The GS is more versatile, the Multi more flickable.
In my opinion you can't make a bad choice.
Doc
MTS: 2003 1000 DS (Red)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 7:22 pm Reply with quote

filastrada wrote:
how would you describe a Harley Davidson then, I wonder?

"wannabe car" maybe...
Think Whistle Mr. Green

Doc

Emerson
MTS: 2004 1000 DS (Black)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 7:43 pm Reply with quote

How would I describe a Harley Davidson? Think

Well, ever seen a really fat American woman? Such as, for instance, the kind you can often see in ( Embarassed ) black leather at Sturgis or other H-D rallies? I'd call a Harley Davidson a Fat Redneck Chick. Whistle
ducatidave
MTS: 2004 1000 DS (Red)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 11:58 pm Reply with quote

How would I describe a Harley Davidson?

Why do you think they call them HOG's? Laughing

P.S. I can say that because I've owned one!
Dave
Rocker

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2005 9:02 am Reply with quote

Doc wrote:
filastrada wrote:
how would you describe a Harley Davidson then, I wonder?

"wannabe car" maybe...
Think Whistle Mr. Green

Doc

I hardly think this applies to allHDs Doc. The Electra Glide maybe but certainly not all the other models especially the Sportsters. I have to admit if I won the Lotto I would have a Road King in my bike collection

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2005 9:05 am Reply with quote

Rocker wrote:
The Electra Glide maybe

But that my friend is a "wannabe 18-wheeler" Laughing Laughing Laughing

The only HD that I kind of accept a bit is the V-Rod, and that only because of it's engine Think .....and only a bit Whistle

Cheers,

Doc

P.S: if you win the lotto and need help spending, count me in Mr. Green

Rocker

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2005 9:11 am Reply with quote

I have to admit that in the past I have owned several Goldwings (1000s & 1100s) and find that there is a reason for their existance just as there is for the Electra Glide. When I'm touring I like to cruise and see the country I am travelling through and these bikes do this sort of long trip extremely well

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2005 9:15 am Reply with quote

You have to hear me say "I agree" now don't you ? Very Happy Well here you go, I agree that for this sort of touring they are the bike to go for. Smile

Doc

Rocker

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2005 9:32 am Reply with quote

I in fact find the big touring bikes as much fun as the MS it is just a different kind of fun. Of course at the moment I have a compromise by having my MS equped with the full DP luggage system

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2005 9:38 am Reply with quote

Rocker wrote:
my MS equiped with the full DP luggage system

That sounds like an Electra Glide on a very strickt diet Very Happy and on anabolics too Laughing

(Myself I have the DP big panniers but only mount them when needed. Ofcourse the mounting hardware is always in place)

Doc

Rocker

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2005 9:40 am Reply with quote

Doc wrote:
Rocker wrote:
my MS equiped with the full DP luggage system

That sounds like an Electra Glide on a very strickt diet Very Happy

(Myself I have the DP big panniers but only mount them when needed. Ofcourse the mounting hardware is always in place)

Doc

No as I havn't got the required sound system on the MS Smile

Last edited by Rocker on Sat Jan 08, 2005 10:05 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2005 9:41 am Reply with quote

We'd better stop this now or we'll end up laughing all day long Laughing

Doc

wildwestrider

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2005 12:20 pm Reply with quote

I ride an 1150 GS Adventure (which is now for sale for economic reasons) and just added a Multi to the Garage. I rode the Multi exclusively for 2 weeks then recently jumped on the GS and I was amazed at how the GS felt so much more natural, controlled, solid and still amazinly quick. The BMW telelever and paralever suspension is still unmatched in the workl of motorcycling and the ABS is indeed confidence inspiring although in the last 15 years of riding BMW bikes..........I will say that I have never actually felt the ABS kick in.............could be that is works that seemlessly,..........but I doubt it.

I have had my complaints about BMWs along the way and I have had a problem or two......but overall I have enjoyed the bikes and the comaraderie..........the BMW community is huge and everywhere.......I carry my BMW "Annonomous" Book with me whenever I am touring.....It lists every BMW MC owner everywhere that is willing to assist on repairs, accomadations, meet for a cup of coffee etc.

I have had spectacular cross country rolling rally ride experiences with other BMW riders, meeting at the campfire each evening at a pre determined campsite destination while in transit to a national rally.

I think the comparison of the Corvette to a Ferrari is a fair one.

I have told several people who have asked me my opinion on the Multi that is was reminiscent of driving an older Ferrari. A much more direct and raw experience that is a blast for a while in around town and as long as you are pressing the performance envelope and throwing the bike around, it does make you smile............it just gets tiresome much more quickly. and I don;t think I would attempt a 700 or 800 mile day on a multi like I have done on my Various BMW bikes.

My situation now is that I now live in an area with great roads that are immediately accessible....no more two hours rides just to get to an entertaining road like I had to do in Dallas.

I wanted a bike that I could easily throw a leg over and take a spin downtown (Austin)...........or do a breakfast ride withou all the heft of the Adventure (Big bike with a 35.5" seat height) and the multi does that well and looks better doing it, althought I am still not happy with the front end styling (oil cooler vents or headlight shape)

The GS is a startlingly quick and maneuverable bike given its 560 pounds,. The standard GS seat height works OK around town, the Adventures 35.5 is impossible for me and makes parking lot maneuvers or backing the bike out of a slightly up hill spot almost impossible especially if the surface is loose like gravel...........these are the main reasons why I wanted something smaller and lighter for the kind of riding I now expect to do.

However, I will say, that I think a GS will hang with a multi pretty well in the twisties...............it is an AMAZING bike in the curvy stuff...............many say it is the best handling of all the BMWs in the twisties and having owned several BMWs (R11ooRS, R1100RT, R1150RT, R1100S, R1100S light, K1200RS)...........I would actually agree......the BMW pack mule GS to me seems to be the best handling bike in the BMW line up.......

When riding HARD behind other sport bike riders........I notice they are nearly dragging a knee and I just effortlessly fly through the corner in a much more upright position.............same for observing other GS riders when riding with sport bike riders..............the GS is always more upright and relaxed looking...............can't explain it...........it just is the way it is.

My .02 cents

Brian Collins
chadhargis

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 12:59 am Reply with quote

Trailer park ho... Very Happy

doctor_john

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 2:25 pm Reply with quote

sleepy, addicted grandma...

Mr. Green