Rocker
MTS: Not specified

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 2:52 pm Reply with quote

I think I'm begining to loose the plot of this thread Smile

MTS: 2004 1000 DS (Black)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 3:03 pm Reply with quote

Rocker wrote:
I think I'm begining to loose the plot of this thread Smile

Me too. Correct if I'm wrong: is it about a great, wonderfull, lovely motorcycle and a Guzzi with hangt*ts..... Wink Rolling Eyes

MTS: 2004 1000 DS (Red)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 9:13 am Reply with quote

greetings ex-dutchie in melb. i also considered a BMW (briefly), prior to the big purchase. the multi won because its a DUCATI !! Very Happy this is a DUCATI forum ? we are allowed to be biased ! in defence of the BMW, it does serve a different role than our beloved duke, shud you need to play in the dirt from time to time, the BM wud serve you well (from what i have read). cheers and tot ziens from dutchie in sydney

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 11:35 am Reply with quote

filastrada wrote:
@ prowen

if the BMW R 1200 GS gave you the impression of beeing a "frumpy german fraulein", how would you describe a Harley Davidson then, I wonder?
Whistle Think Laughing

Filastrada

First post....honestly thinking of buying a Multi - for some different riding experiences...don't think I will even consider one now after reading some of the comments in here.

How would I describe my Harley E-glide...great resale valve, fit and finish - flawless, back to back to back 1000 mile days, dead bone reliable, and I don't have to extend the mirrors to see out of them.... Rolling Eyes

A friend of mine rode his HD super glide sport from Dayton, Ohio to Prudoe Bay, Alaska without one incident. He is going to go again, this time from the Keys to Prudoe Bay and will likely break the current record held by the Multi rider. On and BTW...he is not being backed by Harley.

There are many different styles of bikes and riders. Over the years I have learned to appreciate them all.....seems like some of you in here need to step back and take a look...

Goodbye,

Ben Dorn
Proud owner - Harley Davidson (many times over)
Steve B
MTS: 2007 1100S (Black)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 11:49 am Reply with quote

Quote:
First post....honestly thinking of buying a Multi - for some different riding experiences...don't think I will even consider one now after reading some of the comments in here.

Ben, if you do a little digging I think you'll find quite a few Harley owners on board here. You'll also find some jabs at our own Multistradas, not just Harleys. If you're interested in a Multistrada, a handfull of jokes at Harley's expense on a Multistrada website shoudn't dissuade you. It's all in good fun, don't take it too personally. I don't know of a motorcycle related forum more civil and respectful than this one and I've belonged to many.

If your buddy goes for that record from the Keys to Alaska it'll sure be interesting to follow. Gary Eagan, the Multistrada rider who set the record last year, is a renowned long distance rider and former Iron Butt winner. He said he'd never do it again. I can't imagine how punishing it would be on any bike.
eyedragaknee

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 3:05 pm Reply with quote

I've been riding since the late sixties and been on about everything including the hogsters. Some of my bikes have even been featured in Hot Rod Bikes, which is a HD V twin magazine. I quit riding Harleys because they don't suit my riding style which is the twisty mountain back roads at a pretty good clip. The attitude of many HD riders towards other brands is worse that the way others feel about Harleys. I've never gone to a ricebike event and seen a Harley hanging from a tree or paying to take a shot at a ricebike with a hammer while drinking a Bud Light.

It goes both ways AND IT SHOULDN'T GO AT ALL. As long as we ride something, we shouldn't be a dickhead towards other riders no matter what they are on. I love riding my dirtbike and also like the Duc and am considering building a flathead HD replica as my next project. Not biased toward brands at all.

Let's be bikers , not weekend warriors with an attitude. All bikes are cool, the people make the difference. Make a difference.

You'd like a Multistrda. Give it a try. Smile

Joe
Rocker

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 3:16 pm Reply with quote

Joe Whilst I agree with your words 99.99% I have to admit to my own predjudice. I absolutely hate 60s style Lambrettas & Vespas. you would have to have been riding in the UK during the 60s to really understand why. another clue is in my username.
I would rather wear an Arsenal shirt that be seen on one these so called bikes Smile

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 3:37 pm Reply with quote

@FILASTRADA

I DESCRIBE A HARLEY AS AN OVERGROWN 10Hp MOBILE AIR COMPRESSOR. Very Happy Very Happy

HOWEVER, IN MY OPINION HARLEY'S ARE BEAUTIFUL BIKES THAT HAVE BEEN EXTREMELY RELIABLE SINCE THE TWIN CAM 88 WAS INTRODUCED.
I STILL PROBABLY WON'T EVER OWN ONE--MAYBE WHEN I'M 70 YRS OLD BUT I DOUBT IT Very Happy Very Happy

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 3:40 pm Reply with quote

Joe & Steve,

Thanks for the response.. I could have been just tad on the thin skinned side when I replied. I do not like or appreciate the bashing of other brands, regardless of where they were made.

I also do not like the elitist attidtude that many brands bring, especially and including HD.

I am willing to branch out, that is the reason I was looking into Ducati. I just would like something different and trouble free, like my Glide. I have been even thinking about the "sport touring" route, like the ST.

Ben
Emerson
MTS: 2004 1000 DS (Black)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 3:43 pm Reply with quote

It does go both ways. I'm still new enough to riding not to have any real biases, but I'll have fun taking a jab equally at a HD or a KawaYamaHonzuki, and laugh at the Ducati cracks, too. And let's not act like H-D riders are innocent in all this...

My uncle just got a wide glide. Pretty bike, not my thing, but he loves it, so good for him. We talk about me having a Duc, and joke back and forth. Then we make plans to go riding... only when his H-D friends aren't around, though. Rolling Eyes

New Year's Day. Beauty of a day here in the Mid Atlantic. I mean gorgeous. I must have seen 130-140 riders out that day. The only bikers I got no acknowledgement from were H-D riders that I slowly passed and acknowledged. They actually turned their head(s) and ignored the wave. Eh? What's up with that. We're both on two wheels here, I'm makin and effort to be decent, and they actually put their effort into being an ass... on a fat, slow, overpriced, image bike( Razz )? Geeze, get a Ducati already.
Steve B
MTS: 2007 1100S (Black)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 7:14 pm Reply with quote

Rocker said:
Quote:
Joe Whilst I agree with your words 99.99% I have to admit to my own predjudice. I absolutely hate 60s style Lambrettas & Vespas. you would have to have been riding in the UK during the 60s to really understand why. another clue is in my username.

I wish I was close enough to you Rocker to buy you a few pints and hear some of your stories. I was a kid then and didn't have any perspective of the mod/rocker goings on. When I was old enough to know, I was dumbfounded why anyone would choose a Vespa or Lambretta with all that crap stuck on them over a Norton or Triumph. I decided to fulfill my long desire for a Norton when I bought a Commando for my 40th birthday five years ago.
eyedragaknee

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 7:40 pm Reply with quote

MODCOBRA

No problem here.
The ST is a good bike but the Uglystrada is a much more comfortable riding position. If I was wanting to do many miles a day, maybe the ST would be better? I have ridden 1000+ a day on a thumper, so that shows you how stoopid I am.

Personally, I have gotten used to the dualsport upright riding position on the street and can't see myself on something more sporty except on the track.

Go give a Multi a test drive. I bet you will like it.

Joe
loop
MTS: 2005 1000S DS (Red)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 10:57 am Reply with quote

a friend of mine owns a GS so i have driven it for about 200km long the bike is stable predictible and comfortable. 10 days ago i bought the S DS the bike is rough it surprises you with its accelaration,brakes and sound ,it is also much more beutifull, the ohlins are working great and it can do a wheelie whenever you think about it!!! on the other hand when it exeeds 160 km search for a place to hide from the wind (its not so hard but its not comfortable)the seat is much improved than the 04 model and its not causing problems , but the front windshield is leaving your shoulders out of it and this leave you struggling with the wheelbar (it always wins) i suggest if you like exitment and having fun with your bike buy an S DS if you like long travels over 160km/hr buy a GS

PS. my girfriend hasnt complained (yet) for the passenger seat it is also comfortable.
keener
MTS: 2005 1000S DS (Black)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 7:03 pm Reply with quote

What the - - - - is a harley THat came from a cute little blond miss.. on a 696 monster , YES the times they are a changing..
mixemongpete
MTS: 2007 1100 (Red)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 7:58 pm Reply with quote

this is a good topic, as i keep wondering about the gs too. i just came back from a
quick 200klm spring ride about an hr ago. i find the multi windshield kills my shoulders
and yes iv'e tried the ''lip'' and my ass is killing me even with the gel seat, mind you
there is still a big grin on my face even now. i think i'll have to try the gs the next time i'm at the dealer and see if its more comfortable on the long haul. then again the new
multi is coming sooon.