Log me on automatically each visit

Problems signing in?

Register

Forum index -   Wanna buy: 2005 1000s DS vs BMW R 1200 GS
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
DJvdG
MTS: Not specified

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2004 9:21 am Reply with quote

Hi ... a new member from Australia, Melbourne. Love the site, quality, no wonder it's a dutchie taking care of business... I'm an ex dutchie turned Ausie etc etc ...more some other time. I have just parted with my KTM 640 Adventurer (didn't like it...tooo twitchy for me) after a reasonably happy 3yrs with a BMW R 1150 GS. I'm now looking for reasons to buy the 1000S DS vs the R 1200 GS. Any thoughts ...experiences....articles much appreciated. Thanks Razz [/list]
filastrada

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2004 10:24 am Reply with quote

If you intend to stop driving bikes with offroad capability than a Multistrada is
not a bad choice at all. But remeber it's only a "Multistrada" as long as the Strada is paved! Mr. Green

Filastrada
peter richardson

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2004 10:37 am Reply with quote

I had an R1100GS which had an agricultural gearbox rather like a WW2 lorryin third gear. Very heavy and top heavy when laden but a strong bike with good build quality. I would choose the Multi as it may seem incredible to all but it should be more reliable than the BMW judging from the trouble I have heard from owners with gearboxes, ECU's, and rear drives. I also think that the accountants have finally got to BMW bikes as the finish can be a bit iffy now.
Not all Ducattis have poor finish and not all BMW's are bulletproof.
Rod

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2004 10:46 pm Reply with quote

I am just changing my Multi for the R1200GS. I have had my Multi for 18months & have enjoyed it. I've twice been down to Italy on it & rode a lot of the mountain passes. HOWEVER, the 1200GS is far more comfortable, more stable, is incredibly agile, & handels incredibly well, and is just as quick over an Italian mountain pass (there was one with me on my last trip). In fact, down the pass I think it's quicker, due to the no dive front end & confidence inspiring ABS.
neilrmar

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2004 11:50 pm Reply with quote

well i have to say i just placed my order for a black Multi after test riding both the R1200gS and the Ducati.

The GS is a great bike, however it just didn't give me that grin factor. My comment when i got off the Ducati was "I haven't had this much fun on a bike in ages" Very Happy the BMW didn't do it for me.

Just MHO
eyedragaknee

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2004 1:21 am Reply with quote

Both are great bikes. Keep the multi on the road. A good rider can run the crap out of either one. I'd hate to drop either one in the dirt$$$$$$$
hjr1100s

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2004 10:49 am Reply with quote

Have to agree with Rod. Ridden the Mult for almost 10.000 km's, but considering selling it/trading it for a R1200GS. Reason: the Beemer promises to be a more stable ride (assuming it behaves like the R1100S I still own) thanks to its telelever.

The Multi still doesn't give me that confident feeling.

HJ
eyedragaknee

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2004 11:37 am Reply with quote

I've ridden the new BMW on and off road on forest roads and it just awesome. It belongs to a buddy of mine. I had my DRZ-400 and had a real hard time losing him on the technical stuff and as soon as the road straightened out, he was gone. It is heavy. He was tired and I wasn't after riding off road. That seems to be the biggest difference. If I had to have only one bike and could afford one, that would be it. It still isn't a Ducati.
prowen

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 10:06 pm Reply with quote

At the risk of offending any female members, the choice is between a frumpy German fraulien, and an Italian brolly babe. The GS might have lost a lot of weight, but it's still not the well-toned athlete that the Multi is. As for previous negative comments on the Ducati's stability, how was your suspension set up? I've ridden mine in near-typhoons, and at high speeds over bumpy surfaces, and never had need for a clean set of underpants.
Anyone trading the Multi for the BMW might as well start booking a place in the rest home for elderly motorcyclists now. I've had plenty of seat time on both bikes, and one is a life-enhancing ride, and the other merely a means of transport.
And just in case you think I'm prejudiced against Bavarian Riding Machines, I should mention that my other road bike is a BMW (a F650GS that I ride when I'm in a serious, practical frame of mind, and want to use less fuel, and less rubber, while having less fun).
Tee-Dub

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 11:23 pm Reply with quote

I test rode both, bought the multi. The bmw was boring, it was as much fun as driving my grandma's Honda Civic. It had such horrible buffeting from the crappy windshield that I had a pounding headache within 2 miles of leaving the dealership, and yes, I adjusted the windshield into a few different positions to no avail. While the BMW may be more versatile, for me the Multi was the one. I have owned a number of bikes and none felt more natural right off the bat as the Multi did.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 1:06 am Reply with quote

Like comparing a Corvette to a Ferrari. Both are very good bikes. One gets the blood going. One doesn't. Neither one is bad. The BMW is what it is, a good all rounder that won't tire you out going cross country. Not a duc.

BTW: Did you get the exhaust on and fit a Power Commander yet?
Tee-Dub

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 2:36 am Reply with quote

More like comparing a Buick LaSabre to a Ferrari! Laughing

MTS: 2004 1000 DS (Black)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 12:17 pm Reply with quote

I rode a couple BMWs before the Multistrada - mind you it was a '04 R1150GS and a '04 1000 DS, not the 1200GS v 1000DSS, so for what it's worth.

I was comfortable on the BMW, confident it was a good bike, satisfied that it rode well... Then I rode the Multi. I was grinning like a hooligan, having a blast and loving every sound, rattle, shake and bump. I even had a police officer warn me of a radar trap beyond the stoplight! Shocked There was just no comparison.

The best expression of it was "a frumpy German fraulien, and an Italian brolly babe." I'm too young for the fraulien, and the Italian gets my blood pumping. Whistle
eyedragaknee

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 1:52 pm Reply with quote

I rode my R1150R and my buddy had the Multi and we switched back and forth on bikes in the mountains one weekend. I still like them both a lot. The BMW was surprisingly fast. It is no lightweight though.

http://www.ambackforum.com/viewtopic.php?p=81035#81035
filastrada

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 4:08 pm Reply with quote

@ prowen

if the BMW R 1200 GS gave you the impression of beeing a "frumpy german fraulein", how would you describe a Harley Davidson then, I wonder?
Whistle Think Laughing

Filastrada