Log me on automatically each visit

Problems signing in?

Register

Forum index -   Wanna buy: Question about 2-up tripping
Goto page 1, 2  Next
homefront
MTS: Not specified

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 11:17 am Reply with quote

I've been bombing around on a Sportster and a KLR for the past couple of years, and this year my wife has decided that she'd like to ride with me.
Neither of us is satisfied with either bike when riding 2-up. The Harley has planty of power, but poor handling even when its' just me on it, and it's worse 2-up - especially the brakes. The KLR has surprisingly good power for it's size (which is not to say enough, just surprising), good brakes, but the suspension gets a little squirrely with us both on board. I haven't had it on the highway 2-up, and I'm not sure I want to.
I found what I think is a good deal on an '07 M/S with low miles, but before I drive an hour to try it out, I was wondering what it was like for 2-up riding. We are thinking of trips of 2-3 hours, say from Pa to the Jersey shore, or upstate NY.
Is the '07 M/S suited to weekend 2-up touring?
lotus54
MTS: 2005 1000S DS (Red)

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 11:54 am Reply with quote

It works out quite well for 2-up as long as you both fit the bike well.

I understand the passenger seat is just ok, although I never got any complaints about the seat.
I did have a small Givi 26L tailbag on my Multi with a backrest on it. She liked having that.

The bike has plenty of power for two and if you crank up the preload a bit and maybe a click or two of compression it still handles well.
Wolfie has done quite a bit of two-up and reportedly keeps a pretty good clip.
The panniers will give you quite a bit of space.

But of course the best bet is to try it out yourself with two people and see if it really fits you.

Mark

Beta XTrainer 300
mb10039
MTS: 2006 620 (Red)

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 12:14 pm Reply with quote

The wife and I do a fair amount of daytrips on the 620 as well as long weekend rides of up to 300 miles per day. As long as she has the topbox with backrest in place there have been no complaints. We are average size.
No issue with power or handling so an 1100 should work great for you.
mike
miloVanMultistrada
MTS: 2008 1100S (Red)

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 2:16 pm Reply with quote

I also have the topbox with backrest and rode across France and Belgium last year with my wife on the back. She was pretty happy with the Multi and so was I.

The adjustable rear shock is a useful addition when you're carrying a passenger. The bad points - seat a little hard on longer runs, the rear sear is quite high up so the taller passenger gets a bit of windblast on fast runs (although the plus is a better vantage point for sightseeing) and again because the seat is high up, it takes a bit of practice to mount/dismount.

No problems on the power, handling or braking fronts when 2-up though.
Crazy Threadz
MTS: 2004 1000 DS (Black)

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 3:31 pm Reply with quote

as a pillion rider, I will tell you the multi is a great bike...since we got it last July, I have set on the perch for over 8000 miles... I complain because Im on the bird nest perch & the wind pummels my head sometimes...but I do like that I can see , so its a necessary evil I guess. The stock seat is quite uncomfortable on long trips... we go at least 450 a day and I get pretty sore... I have taken my seat in and added memory foam, then I bought a slab of gel at a trade show... then I just pcked up the dp performance seat. Its comical to how many things I have tried... I think the redone seat with the gel slab sitting on top has been the best so far...but I havent taken the dp seat on a long ride yet.

We ride a 1000, hubby is about 135 pounds at 5 8... I am 5 9.5 and outweigh hubby and Im not about to say by how much.... we hae the 46 liter Givi box, with backrest & rack... large hard panniers and hubby reall doesnt have any problem handling the bike.

Ive ridden with some other biker friends... I happily climb back on the multi very quickly... one great asset to me is that the pipes run under the seat so the heat isnt really right on top of me.... I cant take riding on back of a harley... I would MELT ! It is a great bike & I think with some practice runs behind you - ya'll will want to go more & more like I do....

If you have any specific questions... let me know
sailwa66
MTS: 2004 1000 DS

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 4:51 pm Reply with quote

The missus & I do at least a week-long trip every year on mine... and push it pretty hard in the mountains dropping sportbikers (helps that I used to race Mr. Green ). As long as you can resist the urge to pack everything you own (like some ADVer's I know), the bike still handles great at triple digits, and gets great mileage.

The big 'but' with the Multi is what Mark said: "as long as you both fit the bike well". It's more roomy than the KLR for sure, but it's no Gold Wing. The missus likes the step up in the passenger perch, and has never mentioned any heat from the underseat pipes.

Here's a ride report:
http://www.multistrada.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=10011

Ducati Multistrada Adventure/Off-Road Gear: www.strada-avventurosa.com
eviltwin
MTS: 2007 1100S (Custom colour)

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 5:32 pm Reply with quote

I'd agree with what has been said above regarding positives and negatives about 2-upping on these bikes. Had an ST4s before this and my wife had things she liked about each.

One thing I'd add is the benefit of the easy rear shock adjustment on the S model. When going from fully-loaded, to 2-up w/no bags, or anywhere in between, I've found it nice to be able to reach down at a stoplight and readjust things for the type of riding we're doing.

07 MTS1100S
07 Team USA 999S
homefront

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 9:33 pm Reply with quote

Well...
Thanks for the good input!

I've been scratching my head over what bike to buy. I appreciate good tools and quality machines - and unfortunately, the Japanese bikes just don't do much for me anymore. Ducati, BMW, Aprilia, Guzzi, even Triumph, all seem to have a quality that the Japanese bikes seem to lack. I guess I'm getting picky in my old age Think .

Bike designs have become too narrowly focused. The Triumph Bonneville and the Ducati GT1000 are almost the only bikes out there that still look like motorcycles.

I tried a new Bonneville the other day; the '09 models wear 17" rims and handle way better than I expected. The motor was surprisingly flexible and smooth, and the brakes were very good. My buddy hopped on the back and the bike handled things fine, but the bike felt a little small... and I've always admired Ducati's! Mr. Green

Looks like I'd better get these bikes of mine up for sale, and get out with my wife and try the M/S on for size!
The Duchess of Desmo
MTS: 2008 1100 (Red)

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 8:23 am Reply with quote

my OH sat many long tours across Europe and said the1000SDS was very comfortable, plenty on leg length, he did actually fall once getting off he got his foot stuck on the high point of the seat..they are a tad high!!

SpeedwayRN

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 11:05 am Reply with quote

homefront wrote:
Well...
Thanks for the good input!

I've been scratching my head over what bike to buy. I appreciate good tools and quality machines - and unfortunately, the Japanese bikes just don't do much for me anymore. Ducati, BMW, Aprilia, Guzzi, even Triumph, all seem to have a quality that the Japanese bikes seem to lack. I guess I'm getting picky in my old age Think .

Bike designs have become too narrowly focused. The Triumph Bonneville and the Ducati GT1000 are almost the only bikes out there that still look like motorcycles.

I tried a new Bonneville the other day; the '09 models wear 17" rims and handle way better than I expected. The motor was surprisingly flexible and smooth, and the brakes were very good. My buddy hopped on the back and the bike handled things fine, but the bike felt a little small... and I've always admired Ducati's! Mr. Green

Looks like I'd better get these bikes of mine up for sale, and get out with my wife and try the M/S on for size!

Now your talking, a GT 1000 with Ohlins front and rear would be an awsome bike to tour on. But the stock suspenders are lacking.....a lot.

2007 Moto Guzzi Breva 1100- Antonio - died a traumatic death!
2006 MV Agusta 910s-Ginger Is missed dearly! God Bless Mossimo Tamburini
1975 Honda CB750
The Duchess of Desmo
MTS: 2008 1100 (Red)

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 12:14 pm Reply with quote

I agree Speedaway I have eyed that gorgeous GT1000 ,real retro , mmm chrome Think

jachew
MTS: 2007 1100 (Red)

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 2:49 pm Reply with quote

Agree with above.

We installed the DP Top Case Kit with the Backrest and the Comfort Passenger Seat on our 07 after a few months of using the stock pillion seat and pannier system. With the stock pillion seat, my passengers had a tendency to slide forward when stopping. The Comfort seat is shaped differently and uses a gel pad which my is appreciated by all, and there is no more "sliding forward" by the passengers.

My wife has told me she loves the view when on the Multi because she can "see" the view, as opposed to looking around me on my other bikes.

And I must agree with the GT comments. I love the look of the motorcycle, especially the brown and creme paint scheme.

Good luck with your selection.

Take care,
JC
homefront

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 8:18 am Reply with quote

Just a note on the GT1000...
Back in '08, when I bought the KLR, I could have bought a leftover '07 GT1000 for $10,000 otd.
Kicking myself.
karmicgumbo

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 12:15 am Reply with quote

I've got a 620 Multi and my wife who has never ridden took a few rides with me recently. She is 5'9" and she felt a little vulnerable being up so high on the passenger seat and without much to hold on to. Any suggestions?

thanks,

Karmicgumbo
sailwa66
MTS: 2004 1000 DS

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 9:54 am Reply with quote

There is a motorcycle-specific kidney belt made, but I can't remember what the trade is. The rider wears it, and it has big handles on it for the passenger............ google it?

Ducati Multistrada Adventure/Off-Road Gear: www.strada-avventurosa.com