Password:

Log me on automatically each visit

Problems signing in?

Register

Forum index -   Wanna buy: Buy a MS?
mhertz17
MTS: Not specified

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2003 12:52 am Reply with quote

The MS seems to fulfill all my wants in one package. However, the nearest dealer is 1 1/2 hours away and, never having owned a Ducati before, I am concerned about service and reliability. I hear stories of the problems with maintenance and owners being able to do basic maintenance. How has the forums members experience been? How expensive are the initial required checks and what are the intervals? I presently have a KTM and the maintenance is fairly involved and frequent.
Appreciate your input and opinions.
Jantah
Site Admin
MTS: 2003 1000 DS (Red)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2003 12:57 pm Reply with quote

Maybe it is an option not to get the bike from an official dealer. I bought mine at a small (3 mechanics plus the owner) workshop just around the corner. Not a dealer, but they know their bikes, have all the proper tools, including the computer testing device and I totally trust them with my bike. But then again, what's wrong with a 1 1/2 hour ride on a Multistrada? Mr. Green

Service intervals are 10,000 km (or 6,000 mls I think), with a first service to replacing the break-in oil and filter after 1,000 km.

Maintenance on my bike so far is virtually non existent. Except for one emergency repair (broken dash mount) I just lube the chain and ride it. I may have gotten a good one off couse. Next week the bike will be in for the first 10.000 km service. Will let you know how I faired, but I am pretty confident it won't be that expensive.
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteMSN Messenger Top
mhertz17

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2003 4:42 pm Reply with quote

Smile THANKS FOR THE REPLY AND THE INFO. 1 1/2 HOURS ON A MS SOUNDS GREAT BUT I WOULD HATE TO HAVE SOMEONE HAVE TO GO ALONG TO PICK ME UP. NEVER HAD A SHOP GET A BIKE DONE IN THE SAME DAY. GLAD YOU ARE HAPPY WITH YOUR BIKE AND LET ME KNOW ON YOUR NEXT SERVICE. IF I FIT ON IT PROBABLY IT WILL BE MY NEXT BIKE.

THANKS AGAIN.
don pussehl

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2003 6:04 pm Reply with quote

My dealer always has a demo or something that I can ride back home...If such is not offered ask that it be "part of the deal" It seems to get the service done quicklyso they get their bike back too! Don
Hans Wurst
MTS: 2003 1000 DS (Red)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2003 3:47 pm Reply with quote

Well, getting a vehicle to drive while my MS beeing serviced is definitely not an option (in germany).

Eventhough I am -as anyone else, it seems- absolutely thrilled with the performance of the bike, I am pretty pissed beeing a ducati owner now. Don't get me wrong, again the way that thing drives ....
BUT: buying a brand new machine and having had within the first three month more trouble than I ever had in the last nine years with my old Bonneville!

So, if you never had a ducati and if there is no need for you to get one now, better watch the postings carefully, get unbiased opinions about the quality and realiablity of Ducati and decide.
I should have done that before, now it's too late, I am addicted, but it is like with most the other drugs, there is more dark clouds than sunshine, but the sunshine is pretty hot!!
scottfla

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2003 10:48 pm Reply with quote

Buy it, I love mine. If you want to just buy a motorcycle, get a something else. If you want to own a Ducati, purchase the MS, it's the perfect all-around bike, period. Cheers
Karl

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2003 5:02 pm Reply with quote

Thoroughly loved test riding the MS, felt a bit unsure of the front view, paid for one now and eager to fit the plates and RIDE. I've been following the forum for a couple of weeks, kinda anxious now reading about the problems.
axiam

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2003 8:24 pm Reply with quote

motorbikes needs to be chosen with the hearth...let the head think only for buy a washing machine or chose the wife....mts is an electrostimulator connected directly to your hearth...and ride to a narrow mountain road will delete all defect....greetings from Florence..Italy..