Log me on automatically each visit

Problems signing in?

Register

Forum index -   Wanna buy: MTS1000 vs Suz. V-Strom 650
rajbbhatt
MTS: Not specified

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 2:58 am Reply with quote

MTS owners

As I am continuing to do my reserach and asking questions, I have read so many great articles on the DL650 (Vstrom). Its had even better reviews than the 1000 for value and smoothness of engine. Has anyone ridden one? I have heard that the ease of ride and power / torque between the DL650/MTS1000/DL1000 is ranked 1, 2, 3, respectively. Has anyone checked this out? I must say, the Vstrom is pretty ugly. Any idea how the DL650 handles? The reviews rave about the agility and handling...

I would love to get your guys "unbiased"* inputs

-_________
* I understand the ill logic in coming to this board and asking for unbiased info...as is with any other board

Thanks in advance
mr.vince0

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 10:19 pm Reply with quote

I've ridden my K4 DL650 Vstrom for a year in good and bad weather. Mine is black and (I think) is the most attractive color for vstroms. The greatest criticism I hear from friends, fellow riders, and in reviews is that the vstrom is "bland" or downright ugly. On the other hand, other folks seem to like its look when parked.

Before buying it, I considered the Multistrada and even perused this and other forums before making a decision. My local Ducati dealer is great, GP Motorcycles in San Diego, and let me spend several weekends gawking at the monsters, superbikes, and multistradas. On a fluke, I stopped at a japanese bike shop to browse and saw the Dl 1000 and 650. It looked similar to the multistrada, and cost way less. So I did some research and concluded that the suzuki, in spite of less sex appeal, was the better buy for me.

I've ridden the multistrada 620. I find the seating position is less comfortable than the suzuki, and the handlebars have a funny angle to them (can't quite articulate it, but my wrists seem uncomfortably bent). The handling was excellent, perhaps a tad better than the suzuki but not enough to make a great impression. Most of my riding involves slicing up canyons in the san diego backcountry and deserts, and the multistrada would be great at that. But I also like to just "hit the road" for a weekend and end up in San Francisco or Las Vegas or somewhere I haven't seen before. The Multistrada does not compare to the dl 650 in touring comfort and distance riding. The seat is much more comfortable, and the windscreen (though far from perfect) is light years ahead of the Duc.

So, I suppose it depends on your riding style, budget, patience with the Ducati parts department, and that all important sex appeal. For me, it was the Suzuki dl 650 (a better bike than the 1000). The DL1000 has some stuttering issues at certain rpms. Certainly the 1000 will go 140mph compared to the 650's 120mph. But I don't need that extra 20mph speed to get where I'm going. For that, I'd use a Ducati Superbike. Laughing
atwood
MTS: 2004 1000 DS (Gray)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 5:31 pm Reply with quote

There is no way you should try to make up your mind based on other people's inputs. You have to ride the two bikes and determine if the handling/power/looks/etc of the multi are worth it over the dl650. It will depend on how you ride, where you ride and how much you're willing to spend initially and on maintenance over time.
BikerRN
MTS: 2006 620 (Red)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 11:42 am Reply with quote

Why not compare the V-Strom 650 with the Multistrada 620?

I think that would be a more "fair" comparison. By the way, I chose the 620 after looking at the 650 Strom. I'm a former Harley rider and to me a bike has to say, "Ride me, ride me hard baby." If it doesn't do that I'm not interested in her. I averaged 10,000 miles a year on my Harley, and I'm working on that with my 620 Strada.

I like to have fun, and the Multistrada is all about FUN with "real-world ergonomics. Very Happy
prowen

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 9:01 am Reply with quote

I've got both bikes in my garage at present. The Suzuki is good, very economical (400km to each 22 litre tank!), and the seat is so plush after the Multi's. However it's also pig-ugly (colour it black to hide its hidesousness!), lacks the multi 1000's mid-range hit, and the legroom is more cramped. The DL650 is probably the most competent commuter bike on the planet, and earns its place in my home on this strength alone. But I don't give it a second glance as I pass through the garage, for my eye is always drawn to the red bike beside it. My DL's mission in life is to relieve the Multi of burdens like riding to work, to save the Ducati's tyres, pads, and sprockets for rockin' rides on the weekend.