Log me on automatically each visit

Problems signing in?

Register

Forum index -   Wanna buy: Thinking about buying a Multistrada 620
Optimus Prime
MTS: Not specified

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 6:23 pm Reply with quote

Hello all,

I am looking to buy a new motorcycle this spring and have recently stumbled upon the Multistrada 620. I had mainly been looking at the BMW F650 and Suzuki V-strom 650. Just yesterday I realized that the Multistrada 620 fits the bill nearly perfectly, but I am having trouble finding the information I am looking for.

Questions I have:
1. When will the Multistrada 620 be available in the US? I called the 3 closest dealers (all over 100 miles away) and they told me 3 different dates, between Feb. 20th and May.
2. What factory accessories will be available and is there a catalog? Specifically hardbags, larger windscreen, engine/exhaust kits.
3. Have there been any english reviews of this motorcycle? I haven't found any.

I'm looking for a motorcycle to use everyday. Local commuting to work, 400+ mile solo day trips into Chicago, 600+ mile weekends with the wife, and everything in between. I prefer a "dirt bike" style ride, with flat handlebars and an upright position.

Any information, suggestions, advice you may have would be greatly appreciated.
Steve B
MTS: 2007 1100S (Black)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 6:55 pm Reply with quote

Have you talked to Hall's Ducati in Springfield? They're only about 60 miles from you and a very good dealer. I've gone there and had great service for 12 years now.

I don't believe there are accessories available specific to the 620 yet, although some accessories will surely be common with the 1000.

I have yet to see a review of the 620 either.

If you're doing 400+ mile solo days and 600+ with a companion, I'm thinking the 620 may be a little anemic for that use. Is there a reason the 1000 doesn't interest you? I'm not too far from you in Decatur, and with all the straight & flat roads we have I want something that can get me down the highways a little sooner than the 620 would.
Doc
MTS: 2003 1000 DS (Red)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 7:02 pm Reply with quote

Hi Optimus,

After reading your post, the same question came to my mind as Steve already asked. Is there a reason not to go for the 1000 instead the 620 ? For the type of riding you'll be doing it will certainly suit you better.

As for a review on the 620, haven't seen/read one either.

About 90% of the accessories and parts are common for both bikes. Check the "Downloads" section and you'll get an idea. Ofcourse if you drop by a dealer, ask him for the new 2005 DP accessories catalog.

Best regards,

Doc

Optimus Prime

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 7:44 pm Reply with quote

Steve B wrote:
Have you talked to Hall's Ducati in Springfield? They're only about 60 miles from you and a very good dealer. I've gone there and had great service for 12 years now.

I did call them yesterday, seemed to be very nice people. One of my next questions was going to be if anybody had good dealer experiences in the area. Thanks for the recommendation Cool

Steve B wrote:

If you're doing 400+ mile solo days and 600+ with a companion, I'm thinking the 620 may be a little anemic for that use. Is there a reason the 1000 doesn't interest you? I'm not too far from you in Decatur, and with all the straight & flat roads we have I want something that can get me down the highways a little sooner than the 620 would.

A few reasons:
1. Price
2. Extra Weight
3. At least 80% of the usage will be relatively local.
4. Insurance cost. I'm assuming the 1000 will be a relatively large jump in cost to insure.
5. I've been riding the last 4 years on 500cc motorcycles built in either '81 or '82. I've never found power to be a huge problem, and the 620 will have at least 150% of the power either of those had. The Power to weight ratio should still be comfortably better than most cars, even loaded two-up Wink While I love HP as much as the next guy, I don't think it's nearly as much of a need as some people purport. Brakes on the other hand Very Happy
Optimus Prime

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 5:22 pm Reply with quote

It looks like 2004's are going for around $9,000. For that price, I'd be crazy not to consider one. I checked and the insurance rate isn't that bad, and all the extra's compared to the 620 are very nice.

For $12,000 I wouldn't consider it, for $9,000 it's my top choice. Mr. Green
NovaCoder

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 8:35 pm Reply with quote

The 620 looks too 'budget' for me to consider, for example the swing-arm (looks like it came of an old 600ss) and the front-brake reservoir (bring on the paint stripper).

For me it would have to be either a second-hand 1000 or a new 1000 S, haven't decided which yet Mr. Green

Give me a -> MULTISTRADA 1000 S DS Smile
marrahm

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 8:36 pm Reply with quote

Just wanted to throw in another good word for Halls. I drive from St. Louis to Halls to have my bike serviced b/c they are reasonably priced and very good at what they do. Two things I cannot say about any of the dealers here in St. Louis.

Mike
clockwork orange
MTS: 2005 620 (Orange)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 7:44 pm Reply with quote

Optimus Prime wrote:
3. Have there been any english reviews of this motorcycle? I haven't found any.

The folks at the Factory in Bologna (yes, was lucky enough to visit there on Friday Mr. Green Mr. Green ) tell me the press launch for the MTS620 is on 10 February, so expect some writeups by the journos shortly after that.

Still no firm delivery date for my orange one yet though.... Sad Sad Sad