Log me on automatically each visit

Problems signing in?

Register

Forum index -   Wanna buy: S vs non-S?
Goto page Previous  1, 2
av8r
No Multistrada

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 1:16 pm Reply with quote

Here's part of the dilemma (if you can call buying a toy a dilemma)

I've found *very* few 07 S models used or new. I've found 2 potential standard models. One is a DNA demo bike with 7200 miles that I can buy for around $8000. It has never been titled and the 2 yr warranty starts the day I sign the paperwork. But it's still a bike with 7200 miles. I found another 07 standard with less than 500 miles that is around $11K with the hard bags. This one is far enough away that I'd have to have it shipped to me at a cost of $600 so my costs are $11600 before I pay tax. The cheaper bike is 4 hours from me and near a friend I'd like to visit and at a large Duc dealer.

I don't tend to have the required patience to wait for the right bike and I hate to miss a good opportunity so...

Is the 7200 mile "new" bike a good deal? I'll put at least 5000 miles a year on a bike so it'll have 13K on it by next spring. I don't know what the longevity is of these bikes and resale seems to be really bad relative to other metric offerings (percentage of new cost)

Any thoughts on that?
sliderman
MTS: 2006 1000S DS (Red)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 1:20 pm Reply with quote

I've owned an 03 non and have 20k mi on it. I just got an 06 S and it is very clearly better suspension. You will feel the diff. If you can afford the S, get it. You will never regret it.
Steve B
MTS: 2007 1100S (Black)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 1:54 pm Reply with quote

I'd say the demo is a pretty good deal, especially since it's going to have the full warranty. The biggest depreciation hit will already be taken when you buy it. Some might cringe at a demo bike with 7k miles, but I wouldn't worry about it. These 2 valve air cooled motors are pretty bullet proof. The 500 mile bike is too high IMO. Something to think about is that Ducati North America didn't import the standard model in '08 because because most wanted the S. My dealer sold every S they got their hands on the last couple years quickly, but struggled to sell the standards.
Habanero
MTS: 2006 1000S DS (Custom colour)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 2:29 pm Reply with quote

av8r wrote:

I've found *very* few 07 S models used or new. I've found 2 potential standard models. One is a DNA demo bike with 7200 miles that I can buy for around $8000. It has never been titled and the 2 yr warranty starts the day I sign the paperwork. But it's still a bike with 7200 miles. I found another 07 standard with less than 500 miles that is around $11K with the hard bags. This one is far enough away that I'd have to have it shipped to me at a cost of $600 so my costs are $11600 before I pay tax. The cheaper bike is 4 hours from me and near a friend I'd like to visit and at a large Duc dealer.

I don't tend to have the required patience to wait for the right bike and I hate to miss a good opportunity so...

Is the 7200 mile "new" bike a good deal? I'll put at least 5000 miles a year on a bike so it'll have 13K on it by next spring. I don't know what the longevity is of these bikes and resale seems to be really bad relative to other metric offerings (percentage of new cost)

Any thoughts on that?

The 7,200 mile, $8k, bike sounds like a good deal to me. 7,200 is nothing on these bikes. If you put 5,000 a year on it, you'll probably get a wandering eye and buy something else before you wear it out.

No Multistrada

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 3:57 pm Reply with quote

av8r wrote:

I've found *very* few 07 S models used or new. I've found 2 potential standard models.

Any thoughts on that?

I suspect that speaks for itself.

But then, I've always liked Ohlins kit, and been disappointed with just about anything else. Stubborn
RoderickGI
MTS: 2005 1000S DS (Red)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 10:15 pm Reply with quote

As a returning rider two years ago I bought the S because I wanted the confidence of the best suspension available.

When flying into a tight corner on a twisty road, and running out of braking distance, it is good to know that I can just throw the bike into the corner and the suspension will keep the tyres on the road.

I did this quite a bit in the early days of my return to riding. It was good to know I could rely on the bike, and it still is. The suspension is a large part of why I have confidence in the bike.

I did ride a Multi with non-Ohlin suspension, and it was very good, but I think the Ohlins do a better job of keeping the bike steady and in control.

MTS: 2006 1000S DS (Red)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 2:55 pm Reply with quote

I am 6'2" and 225lbs as well. I have an 06 1000s. I have had the valving replaced with Ohlins superbike valving and had the fork and rear springs changed for my weight and riding style. The bike handles like it is on rails. I couldn't be happier with the handling.

Suggest that at your weight you will find that to optimize the handling you will need to change the springs on either model. I had my work done at GMD Computrack in Atlanta.

I have never had a non S model to evaluate the differences.
Hope this helps,
Larry
Bushwak
MTS: 2006 1000S DS (Black)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 9:38 pm Reply with quote

llswift wrote:
I am 6'2" and 225lbs as well. I have an 06 1000s. I have had the valving replaced with Ohlins superbike valving and had the fork and rear springs changed for my weight and riding style. The bike handles like it is on rails. I couldn't be happier with the handling.

Suggest that at your weight you will find that to optimize the handling you will need to change the springs on either model. I had my work done at GMD Computrack in Atlanta.

I have never had a non S model to evaluate the differences.
Hope this helps,
Larry

Larry
How much did that opperation cost you, and do you have any part#'s you can share?
Phil

"Cuppa"T 02' Triumph Bonnie
"Crema" 71' Lambretta GP150
Bsk cse 61' Lambretta Li 125
and a few VW's
Ashalina
MTS: 2007 1100 (Red)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 2:53 pm Reply with quote

If you never rode the S model I doubt you will find the "standard" model lacking. You will not notice the weight difference with the carbon fiber so the carbon fiber just comes down to whether you like the look of the CF more than the plastic.

With the suspension you will definitely get a better set up with the Ohlins. People are very loyal to Ohlins for a good reason. If you rode them back to back you will very likely prefer the Ohlins. If you never rode the Ohlins I would be shocked (no pun intended) if you found the Showa unacceptable.

Price is always a factor in any purchase. That demo seems to be a fair price with the first services already completed. Based on your description of the riding you will do I think you would get the standard model and just love it. I would suspect if you can get an S model that was a great deal as well you may love the S model more!
kmasa58
MTS: 2007 1100 (Red)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 4:38 pm Reply with quote

I've own a non-S version and had the opportunity to ride the S version. I got admit though I'm very happy with my non-S, the Ohlins on the S version does provide "supple" ride...better control/movement on the suspension. I didn't really "push" the S version as hard as I would mine, but I could tell the difference when I hit free-way expansion, sudden irregularity on the road surface, it soaks up the bumps better. If I can swing the $, I would recommend the S version, not only is it better, but when you decide to sell it, the return is better.
kmasa58

PeterPRM
MTS: 2004 1000 DS (Black)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 5:10 pm Reply with quote

The Ohlins suspension improves the way the bike handles through the turns especially when there are bumps in the turns. The ohlins also improves the chassi stability while braking , again, especially when there are bumps in the road.

I have the DS 1000, with the showa fully adjustable suspension, and converted to Ohlins, so I have done back to back comparisons on the same bike. The suspension that is dellivered on the newer non s models is Mazocci Forks (I know I can't spell it) and a Sachs rear shock, neither of which are as good as the Showa that was origionally on my bike. There really is a noticeable difference between the Ohlins and the lesser suspensions, and I am no Valentino Rossi.

Get the S, there is no question it is well worth the extra $'s. It will also help with resale.

just my 2 cents