Multistrada Wiki
  About us
 Login

Username:

Password:

Log me on automatically each visit

Problems signing in?

Register

Forum index -   Wanna buy: I want a Multi, but....
Goto page Previous  1, 2
legs748
MTS: 2007 1100 (Red)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 7:22 pm Reply with quote

I did 400 miles in a day this summer and i was sore as hell. But then again, if i had done the same trip in my car (Dover to Newark) i'd still be sore as hell cos that route is 'orrible on a friday afternoon.

It was working when i left it........
Rup
MTS: 2008 1100S (Red)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 9:21 pm Reply with quote

I just bought one, and intend to do some traveling. It can't make me stiffer than a 696.
rmetzger
MTS: 2006 1000S DS (Black)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 12:44 am Reply with quote

Adding my 2 cents -

The Multi deserves its name. It does a lot of things well. I've put 500 miles a day on it (solo) and 350 (2-up, loaded) -- no problem. (I do have the DP gel seat, which I recommend.) I use it for commuting, into SF, and with just the top trunk, it is narrow enough to lane split and both agile and controllable in the city. Away from the city, it is a blast to ride at any distance. I'm nearing 10,000 miles and I've experienced no reliability issue excepting two mirrors with weak stems (which were replaced under warranty). There is a lot you can do to tune the Multi to your taste. I've given mine some Sport Touring features (heated grips, handguards, Zumo w/ XM Antenna, DP windscreen) but also some significant performance mods (Staintune-to-Termi, Power Commander, changed front and rear sprockets). The combination is a blast.

I have other bikes, which I enjoy, and there are particular things they may do better than the Multi. E.g., the Norge offers better wind protection in the rain and cold and is a more relaxed ride over long distance. However, if I had to choose only one, it would not be close. I'd keep my Multi.

I've ridden the R1200GS and appreciate the bike. It is a fine long distance tourer. But it cannot and does not compare favorably to the Multi on the "sport" side of touring. I often appreciate that the Multi acts like a Sport bike when you want it to, but then can handle Touring well. The GS can handle touring, and it can be ridden quickly, but it does not equal the Multi 's virtues as a "sit-up sport bike."

One man's opinion ...

2006 1000S DS (now in good hands!)
2007 Moto-Guzzi Norge (sold)
2008 Ninja 250R (spouse's)
Rup

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 2:53 am Reply with quote

Sorry for the OT question, but how do you like the Norge?

2010 StreetfighterS;
2010 SV650SA*;
2009 848;
2009 Monster 696;
2008 CB250 Nighthawk.
* = Current
rmetzger
MTS: 2006 1000S DS (Black)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 3:21 am Reply with quote

I really like the Norge. It is a very comfortable, fast touring bike. It is distinctive and seems well-designed and well-made. It offers long range, a broad power band, excellent wind and weather protection, and it is suprisingly agile given its size (~565 lbs). It carries a lot of gear and a passenger with ease. It is an excellent counterpoint to the Multi. The Multi is faster, and more intense. When I ride the Multi, to get the "sport" from it means I'm concentrating on the line, the turn-in, the braking, the exit, etc. Sometimes, I barely notice the surrounding environment when I'm riding fast. On the Norge, I can't go so fast, but I can cover short and long distances with low stress and I can enjoy the surrounding scenery.

Without question, 500 miles on the Norge is easier on the psyche (and the body) than 500 miles on the Multi. The Multi may be more fun, even more rewarding, but the experience on the Norge is more relaxed.

I've taken modestly long trips (500 mi.) on both the Norge and the Multi, 2-up. The Multi is more sporting. The Norge is sporting enough and more comfortable. It is a better choice on the freeway if only for the much superior wind protection. It also has a lower cG so that some low speed maneuvers, 2-up and with luggage, are easier. It can be kept in one gear for longer and it requires less technical skill to ride.

The Norge has ABS brakes and, though I don't miss them on the Multi, I am glad to have them on the Norge. They are not "linked" as on some BMWs. Fine by me.

The Norge comes too soft for the likes of the typical Multi rider. It is easy to scrape the center stand in as-delivered trim. One answer is to cut down the rubber bumper that serves to keep the center stand from the frame. The other answer (and the one I chose) was to remove the center stand.

The front suspension, as delivered, seems to "float" a bit and getting used to this takes some time. The rear is also too soft, so that when ridden hard, there is a bit of wallowing. However, if you crank up the preload and rebound damping, these issues can be managed. I've just signed up to replace the rear OEM shock with a stiffer one from HyperPro, and to install in the front new, progressive springs, a heavier weight fork oil, and a "cartridge" emulator. I'm told this will narrow the difference between Norge handling and that of an Oehlins-equipped Multi from a "gulf" to a "gap." The whole thing should cost me less than $1,000.

The Norge does not have the massive power of the inline-4 tourers such as the Kawasaki Concours or the BMW K-bikes. On the other hand, it will go 90+ with indifference all day long, and it has the great torque at low rpms that I consider a strength of air-cooled V-twin engines.

In sum, it is a fine bike. And, there are good deals to be had in getting a Norge. Mine, fully loaded, was >$5,000 less expensive than a loaded RT. And, it has Italian design and character.

Bob

2006 1000S DS (now in good hands!)
2007 Moto-Guzzi Norge (sold)
2008 Ninja 250R (spouse's)
Rup

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 2:28 pm Reply with quote

I appreciate the detailed information. I will keep it in mind, for the next time.

2010 StreetfighterS;
2010 SV650SA*;
2009 848;
2009 Monster 696;
2008 CB250 Nighthawk.
* = Current
Moronic
No Multistrada

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 2:14 pm Reply with quote

Bob,

that was the most informative review of the Norge I've read anywhere.

Thank you.