About us
 Login

Username:

Password:

Log me on automatically each visit

Problems signing in?

Register

Forum index -   Wanna buy: Looking for my first bike

Is the Ducati Multistrada a good first bike?
Yes  
57%
  57%  (11)
No  
42%
  42%  (8)
Total Votes : 19

MaddHatterAZ
No Multistrada

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 8:12 pm Reply with quote

I'm 6'4" 235lbs and looking to get my first bike. I am not a "new" rider per say, but have over 3k miles under my belt(mostly city miles).

My friends say that I should not get a Ducati for my first bike, but the multistrada just jumps out at me and I have been waiting for the summer heat to leave Phoenix so I can really appreciate a bike and use it to commute without heat stoke Very Happy

The other bike I was looking at was the v-strom but I cannot shake the Multistrada out of my mind. I even got to ride it at the dealership and that only made me want it more.

What do you guys think of the Multistrada as a first bike? I figure if I get it, I should also invest in all the proper sliders to protect her too as everyone says you'll drop your first bike.

Edit: I am looking at the 2008 DUCATI Multistrada 1100 S
PhilipMSPT
MTS: 2004 1000 DS (Black)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 8:20 pm Reply with quote

MaddHatterAZ wrote:

Edit: I am looking at the 2008 DUCATI Multistrada 1100 S

I think an MTS 620 is more appropriate for you.

Better contols, cheaper to insure, and you have more room to upgrade when your skills improve.

Ride safe!!!

MTS: 2006 1000 DS (Red)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 9:01 pm Reply with quote

Go for it, have no regrets! I'm also thinking 620 for you. Just be prepared to shell out when it drops....

MTS: 2005 1000 DS (Red)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 9:07 pm Reply with quote

I go tan 05 leftover 1000ds as a first bike ever. I'm 6'3' and 240lbs. Good ergos.

I was going to buy a 620 (most of my riding wold be on the rural roads of VT and th eAdirondacks.

Leslie, the owner of BCM (a leading Ducati dealer) had both a 620 and 1000 and steered me to the 1000 for these reasons: (I'll paraphrase)

"If you stay with riding it will be a better bike (more versatile) long term - for touring/2 up , etc"

" Because the 1000 has more torque, it may be actually easier to ride when yo uare a newbie because the engine is more flexible"

I never found it to be "too much bike".

A counter argument is that a bike like the 620 (or less) may allow (force?) you to learn more quickly.

I'll never know, but for what it's worth, my experience has been great - after 2.5 seasons 20,000 miles including two weeklong trips over 2000 miles including some truly remote places, and numerous weekend trips.

One final comment - I had the bike at BCM earlier this year and Leslie and some of his employees were standing around - Leslie said " You know, Bob, we really didn't think you were the kind of guy to stick with this". Actually, I've had so much fun, I think I am just getting started (I am 59). I owe Leslie and the Strada for that.

RB
MaddHatterAZ
No Multistrada

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 9:32 pm Reply with quote

I have a lot of fun riding and have wanted a bike for a long time and gas has just pushed me over the edge.

I will be doing a lot of touring which is why I like the seating on this bike so much. And most of that should be 2up too.

I have done some motorcycle training already so I have a great handle on bikes. I have ridden my friends CBR1000RR and that thing can be scary but I was able to ride responsibly and safely til I got more comfortable with it. I just can't push it because the front end will lift up easily.

I did most my riding on a 650 Katana and now, it feels sluggish and not as responsive as what I am looking for in a bike. That, and a more upright seating position.
GOTJ
MTS: 2006 620 (Red)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 11:10 pm Reply with quote

I've got both a 1000DS and a 620 and I'm 6'1" and 250 lbs. The key to your choice in my judgement is the two-up touring. The 620 just wouldn't be much fun with no reserve power and having to wring it out all the time for decent performance.

If you were to change the target to solo riding, I would give the 620 the edge because you CAN wring it out and not be too illegal. Wringing an 1100 puts you in the hoosgow range in second gear.

So I recommend getting one of each! Very Happy
Mutis1100ss
MTS: 2007 1100S (Red)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 12:49 am Reply with quote

Seriously would look at the Wee Strom as a first bike for heaps less than a Multi. Then, when you've whacked it a couple of times, you can upgrade to the new 2009/10 Multi!
Good luck.
Steve

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 1:00 pm Reply with quote

How much of an object is price/money? If you can afford the initial price of a Multistrada and have enough money to buy good gear and have money for mods/accessories (seat, luggage etc.) and after all that you will have cash on hand for repairs if you drop the bike, go for it. Since you are attracted to the Multi, the only reason for you to buy a V-strom over a Multi is $$. If you've got enough of it, why get the bike that you like second best?
mollycbr123
MTS: 2008 1100S (Red)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 1:21 pm Reply with quote

Mutis1100ss wrote:
Seriously would look at the Wee Strom as a first bike for heaps less than a Multi. Then, when you've whacked it a couple of times, you can upgrade to the new 2009/10 Multi!
Good luck.
Steve

I'd second that. The V-strom would be a very nice alternative, (or a Versys). I looked real close at the V-strom and got to take a nice long mountain ride on a friend of mine's 650 Strom. It's a fun, comfortable bike. But by then I'd been bitten by the Ducati bug with my ST3, and went with the Multi instead.

'12 Multistrada S Touring
Yes, I do miss my air cooled multi...
Brand spanking new '16 Thruxton R
archkevinbrown
MTS: 2006 620 (Custom colour)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 9:46 pm Reply with quote

GOTJ wrote:

...I would give the 620 the edge because you CAN wring it out and not be too illegal. Wringing an 1100 puts you in the hoosgow range in second gear.

Actually, you can probably get in "hoosegow range" in second on a 620 just as easily. I don't know about the 1100, but the 620 gets you there quicker than the 1000; though top gear top speed is certainly less, second gear top speed is about 5 mph higher on the 620 Mr. Green

'09 Suzuki DR650 Nameless 9/'10 - 5/'11
'08 Aprilia RSV Lara, aka Silver Lion 3/'10 - current
potomacduc

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 1:01 am Reply with quote

archkevinbrown wrote:
GOTJ wrote:

...I would give the 620 the edge because you CAN wring it out and not be too illegal. Wringing an 1100 puts you in the hoosgow range in second gear.

Actually, you can probably get in "hoosegow range" in second on a 620 just as easily. I don't know about the 1100, but the 620 gets you there quicker than the 1000; though top gear top speed is certainly less, second gear top speed is about 5 mph higher on the 620 Mr. Green

The solution on the 1000 is to simply shift and then you get to every speed quicker than the 620. Wink

Of course this is all irrelevant to the discussion at hand because our poster just bought an 1100, which is of course slower than the 1000 Mr. Green .