Log me on automatically each visit

Problems signing in?

Register

Forum index -   Wanna buy: Questions about everything on MTS
Goto page 1, 2  Next
bigballin
No Multistrada

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 4:37 am Reply with quote

hi, i came into this forum to find out about the mts just like so many other people here. So here's my long list, and an early thank you to those who do answer, despite answering the same questions over again.
1. this would be my first bike so would it be in my best interest to buy a 620? or an 1000S? would the difference in power and torque be too much for a beginner like myself? Is there a HUGE difference btw 620 and 1000/1100? (other than power/torgue)
2. I feel stupid for saying this, but im relatively new to bikes and but what makes the termagoti (did i say that right?) exhaust do better than the stock one?
3. does the 620 come as an "S"? what is it mean by "dark"?
4. this might sound petty, but if i wanted to change a used ducati i bought from red to black how much would it cost me? (told you it might sound petty)
5. So would even someone like me can still try to fix up my bike by listening to directions here on this site? or should i just leave it up to the dealerships/shops?
6. Is there anyone that knows how much a bike lets say a '05 620 (S/or no S) should run for? (guesstimate... lol)
7. anyone here have something like that for sale let me know through pm... thank you for reading this and understanding my questions on this subject.

Money is not a huge deal, but i would spend 5K easy on a bike (if thats how much it should be going for) but just want to get my bike ASAP lol excited to ride MTS. if you know anyone selling.. thank you, and i am located in fullerton, CA near anaheim Smile
XSTRADA
MTS: 2006 620 (Red)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 7:13 am Reply with quote

How much motorcycling experience do u have? Have u even test ridden one?

Go to "Ducati of Brea" (Lambert Ave) and see if u can demo one first... both a 620 and/or 1000/1100.

I've had my 2006 620 going on 3 yrs now and couldn't be happier... never even considered a 1000/1100.

There is no "s" 620 model... the "dark" 620 has a matted blk paint scheme finish and single front brake rotor.

BTW... the 620 MTS is NOT a beginner bike by far.

Good luck with your decision.

Richard

No Multistrada

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 4:07 pm Reply with quote

but do you think that even if i did have no experience, the learning curve is too big? and if so... could anyone recommend a good beginner bike please? thanks
greg_long
MTS: 2006 620 Dark (Flat black)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 4:33 pm Reply with quote

I actually don't have a big problem with someone learning on a 620. The main thing you gotta suck up is that the 620's fairings aren't friendly to drops. Meaning, if you drop it, you're gonna spend some $ to fix it.

If that's not an issue - and if you fit the bike - then I think there's something to be said to learning on a modern bike.

I do think it's pretty important to be able to easily touch the ground with your feet as a beginner. Flat footing it would be ideal. So I'd get on one and see how it feels.

I learned on a 70's Honda 550 & then moved immediately to the MTS 620. I had to shed a lot of crummy habits that I had developed from the honda right away.
bonefish
MTS: 2005 1000S DS (Red)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 4:36 pm Reply with quote

bigballin wrote:
but do you think that even if i did have no experience, the learning curve is too big? and if so... could anyone recommend a good beginner bike please? thanks

Kawasaki Ninja 250
Suzuki Savage (LS650)
Buell Blast
Honda Shadow 250

If you have never ridden, more than a parking lot, buy used and take the MSF course. Better still is any 250 and under duel purpose bike and stay in the dirt for the first 6 months

No Multistrada

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 4:57 pm Reply with quote

thanks for the replies, just one more thing, say if i were to buy a honda shadow or whatever beginner bike, how long do you think i would have to ride it to get enough experience for an MTS? (saying that if i were not to learn on an MTS) like 6 months like previously said? longer? shorter? just want to know so i don't get too in over my head and kill meself lol.

Last edited by bigballin on Thu Aug 07, 2008 4:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
legs748
MTS: 2007 1100 (Red)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 4:57 pm Reply with quote

Don't know what the laws are in the US as to how much training you need to have but my first bike was a 900 Monster and I had no trouble.
The bike will only go as fast as you let it, so if you have got your head screwed on and can control yourself then controling the bike will follow.
Apart from the sheer physical size of it i can't see the problem with starting on a Multistrada (620 or 1000) if thats what you want. Just stay cool, take it easy and the bike will come to you bit by bit as your ability and confidence rise mile by mile.
Just do it and enjoy it! Wink

It was working when i left it........
bigballin
No Multistrada

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 5:02 pm Reply with quote

thanks legs, i really appreciate that, its just that my friend was the one that introduced me to ducati, saying to take some pride in my ride (cause i was considering something else, which is not bad but after noticing the MTS i was almost sold) so i mean, this is something, when the community that supports this bike is very eager to help anyone learn more about this bike, so i gotta say, thanks to everyone. really helps to see that everyone loves their bikes and ducati brand. so yeah... oh and can anyone answer my exhaust question? the termagoti (did i say that right?) exhaust, is there a difference between stock? (of course there is, but what is it?)
legs748

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 5:12 pm Reply with quote

As for the exhaust, the italians sum it up in one word - Music.

A Ducati sounds amazing, what the race pipes, Termignoni, Arrow, Leo Vinci etc do is let the music out, the bike will be louder and sound much deeper. It will also, if tuned correctly give more power in a more linear way. This is done by letting the bike breathe better and burn more fuel per bang. This will increase your fuel consumption a little but if you're bothered by this take the bus! I have had Race pipes on all my other Ducatis and really want some for the multi most of the time, but as i bought the bike to tour on i don't need any hassle from the french police!

Last edited by legs748 on Thu Aug 07, 2008 5:15 pm; edited 1 time in total

legs748

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 5:14 pm Reply with quote

Glad to be of help, i'm sure others on here will disagree but thats my twopence worth. Just ride safe and enjoy it.

bigballin
No Multistrada

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 5:20 pm Reply with quote

one more thing, is there a huge difference in the 620 and the 1000?/1100? other than power and torque?
legs748

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 5:51 pm Reply with quote

If i remember right the 620 has a twin sided swingarm as opposed to the single sider on the 1000 and the suspension may be a spec or two lower than the 1000. Everything else body work wise should be more or less the same. As you have said the power and torque are down on the 620 motor and in my opinion any half reasonable rider runs the risk of outgrowing that engine reasonably quickly. The last 620 i rode was a 620 Monster loaned to me as therapy after my 900 Monster was taken from me by an unobservant driver and i found it a little wanting to say the least even though a couple of days earlier i was still in bandages wondering wether to ride a bike again on this crowded little island!
My advice, go with a 1000/1100 and just grow into it, rather than find the bike out of puff when you try an overtake.

fufaso
MTS: 2006 620 Dark

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 6:23 pm Reply with quote

The only reason I would stay away from it would be the potential of a drop and the cost to fix.

It seems to be the norm to drop your first bike, or at least that's the way it seems from my experiences.

In terms of learning on the multi (this is my 2nd bike, only my 2nd season) I would say you'd have no trouble at all. Coming from a sport bike, I find the multi a great bike and handles really really well.
Bushwak
MTS: 2006 1000S DS (Black)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 9:17 pm Reply with quote

As far as the 620 vs 1000/1100.

The 620 is cheaper to insure and gets better gas mileage, some things you may be considering.

"Cuppa"T 02' Triumph Bonnie
"Crema" 71' Lambretta GP150
Bsk cse 61' Lambretta Li 125
and a few VW's
archkevinbrown
MTS: 2006 620 (Custom colour)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 10:14 pm Reply with quote

I'd say if $5k is what you thought was reasonable, look for a 620 - you might find one in decent condition in that range. Also if that's your range, turning a red bike black is probably out of the question. You might get something simple done for $500, but red bikes have red frames, and repainting those would be very costly; removing the engine to paint the frame is probably not something you'd want to do yourself, even if there were good directions on this site. Wink
You don't need Termis on your first bike - that's another costly add.
The 620 did not come in a deluxe "S" version. The Dark was a matte black model with a larger single (rather than dual) disk front brake, but otherwise identical to the non-dark version.

'09 Suzuki DR650 Nameless 9/'10 - 5/'11
'08 Aprilia RSV Lara, aka Silver Lion 3/'10 - current