Multistrada Wiki
  About us
 Login

Username:

Password:

Log me on automatically each visit

Problems signing in?

Register

Forum index -   Wanna buy: From 2001 ST4 to MTS 1000S?
john6133
MTS: 2005 1000S DS (Black)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 5:39 pm Reply with quote

I'm currently on a 2001 ST4 which I have a love/hate relationship with (mostly love). I'm over 40, have a shoulder and back injury and commute on my bike every day. The ST has been ok for commuting, but with the injuries, going for weekend jaunts has been limited to an hour at a time due to pain. I'm only 5'8 tall, so I would have the MTS lowered for sure. I love the power of the ST as well as the incredible sound with the carbon Termi pipes, and the storage with the saddlebags is great. I've taken the MTS for a couple of short tests, but it's hard to extrapolate out to a longer trip. I don't want to give up what I love about my ST, but I really need more comfort. Any thoughts?
lotus54
MTS: 2005 1000S DS (Red)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 6:29 pm Reply with quote

I had a couple of ST2's before the Mutli. The 4 would have more power, but I rarely used all the ST2 had anyway- so I never really missed it.

I feel the MTS is much, much more comfy and fun under around 80mph while the ST never felt as good as when going over 80mph. Since I rarely have anyplace to do those speeds, it was an easy choice.
I just got back from a 1000 mile weekend, 600 miles on the second day with some freeway droning tossed in. The MTS was more comfortable for me than the ST was at doing those sorts of things. I don't have any problem with the seat, but you can't just sit there like you are on a couch either. I muscle flexing makes a huge difference. On the twistier roads, I don't even notice it, just on the freeway where I'm not moving much.
With my little 26l tailbox I have more room than I did on the ST and very similar wind protection (the ST had much better lower leg protection though). Oh yeah, I have the KTM handards on it, so I have better hand protection.

I like the MTS much better (and I liked the ST a lot)- others that spend a lot of time way over 80mph may like the seating position of the ST more. I just lean forward a bit on the MTS and it seems fine though.

mark
john6133

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 7:10 pm Reply with quote

lotus54 wrote:
I had a couple of ST2's before the Mutli. The 4 would have more power, but I rarely used all the ST2 had anyway- so I never really missed it.

I feel the MTS is much, much more comfy and fun under around 80mph while the ST never felt as good as when going over 80mph. Since I rarely have anyplace to do those speeds, it was an easy choice.
I just got back from a 1000 mile weekend, 600 miles on the second day with some freeway droning tossed in. The MTS was more comfortable for me than the ST was at doing those sorts of things. I don't have any problem with the seat, but you can't just sit there like you are on a couch either. I muscle flexing makes a huge difference. On the twistier roads, I don't even notice it, just on the freeway where I'm not moving much.
With my little 26l tailbox I have more room than I did on the ST and very similar wind protection (the ST had much better lower leg protection though). Oh yeah, I have the KTM handards on it, so I have better hand protection.

I like the MTS much better (and I liked the ST a lot)- others that spend a lot of time way over 80mph may like the seating position of the ST more. I just lean forward a bit on the MTS and it seems fine though.

mark

Thanks Mark, it sure seems like a good fit. As for ride speed, like you, I spend a lot more time under 80 than over, mainly due to commute and Seattle traffic. Now I just have to talk myself into parting with the ST...
fmechini
MTS: 2005 1000S DS (Red)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 8:02 pm Reply with quote

john6133 wrote:
I'm currently on a 2001 ST4 which I have a love/hate relationship with (mostly love). I'm over 40, have a shoulder and back injury and commute on my bike every day. The ST has been ok for commuting, but with the injuries, going for weekend jaunts has been limited to an hour at a time due to pain. I'm only 5'8 tall, so I would have the MTS lowered for sure. I love the power of the ST as well as the incredible sound with the carbon Termi pipes, and the storage with the saddlebags is great. I've taken the MTS for a couple of short tests, but it's hard to extrapolate out to a longer trip. I don't want to give up what I love about my ST, but I really need more comfort. Any thoughts?

The more recent ST3's are more confortable. Better seat, higher screen, higher handlebar. I don't think you will find the MTS more confortable as on long trips the ST3 will be more confortable. Lastly the MTS above 80 mph has a lot of wind buffeting. On the ST3 I was riding at 90 mph and that was just the beginning Very Happy

Thru this forum you will see over and over the complaints about the screen and the front brake.

As for the rest the MTS is a joy to ride.

Fred

2005 Red Ducati Multistrada "la signorina"
2003 Blue Suzuki DR650 "il muletto"
Ducati Bob
MTS: Not specified

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 9:27 pm Reply with quote

John,
I have owned an ST2 and an ST4s before I purchased the Multistrada S in May '05. I am 50 years old and I have no large complaints about either of those beutiful machines.
Having said that, the Multi is more fun for me so far than the STs. I only have 1500 miles on it and 400 is my longest in a day, but at the end of that day I was still very comfortable on it.
Last week I took advantage of a chance to ride it on the Mid Ohio Raceway and I do believe I did better through the turns than I would have on the STs. I am a road rider and not a racer. That may be the reason I felt so good on the Multi.

Till Later,
Ducati Bob
Ducati Bob
MTS: Not specified

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 10:34 pm Reply with quote

Oh yeah, I forgot to tell you, I am also 5'8".

Ducati Bob
john6133

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 5:12 pm Reply with quote

Ducati Bob wrote:
Oh yeah, I forgot to tell you, I am also 5'8".

Ducati Bob

I'm taking the plunge. I rode the 1000s again and it was so comfortable, I can't see any reason not to trade except looks... I love the look of my ST. However, it's time to act my age (and injured body), and go with function over form. I'm really looking forward to some longer weekend rides now without back/shoulder pain. Nice new black 1000s with termi exhaust! Thanks everyone for your helpful feedback!