Password:

Log me on automatically each visit

Problems signing in?

Register

Forum index -   Wanna buy: 1st MS test ride yesterday-observations
catneck
No Multistrada

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 2:52 pm Reply with quote

Hi all. Lurking for a 620. I am replacing a 650 V-Strom-looking for a lighter/short mountain pass commuter/more city friendly bike. I have no off road intentions with these bikes. Compared to my recent rides:
I had a 2 day stint with my father-in-law's Versys recently. I also ride a BMW RT and my wife loans me her 250 Ninja from time to time.
I had the good fortune to test ride for 10 minutes.
I noticed:
The hard, thin seat is a good bit lower than the Suzuki. I have to remind myself that the bike will be used for short trips/commuting over the pass-no touring/two up rides. At least the seat shape is right, narrow at the front, and "full coverage" at the back. It feels lighter, I will have to check the actual numbers there. It feels like a motocross bike-light , narrow, and tall. You sit on the tank too. It has really wide bars. And they are chrome-kinda odd on this nearly all painted bike. It has no "fall in" to the corners like the Strom. It turns quicker-way quicker-almost twitchy. The screen is small enough that I am in clean air. Big difference over the stock Strom setup, about the same as the Versys. Soft luggage looks like it would mar the paint. A seat bag or factory panniers will probably be needed, as I always like to be prepared with food, water, and small spares aboard.
It's purposeful and oddly beautiful-maybe graceful, an Italian trailie lookalike with almost no off road intentions. The Versys is as close to this as any of the other bikes I mentioned. And the Versys will most likely cost less to keep. But the Versys is kinda boring, it is not Italian, so I am now looking to an the MS to the stable. Anybody want a Strom?
Thanks
Chris

MTS: 2006 1000S DS (Red)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 4:31 pm Reply with quote

You shouldn't have any trouble selling the Strom. With it's huge fuel tank and great milage there are always a few looking for a nice used one. I had one I lowered 2 inches and it felt lighter and much easier to manage. A 650 strom is a little zippier than a 620 Multi but the Strom has no character. The multi can be lowered easily also. I found the Versis a bit tall for my 30" inseam and I think you might need a custom shorter shock to lower the rear. Seems like most multi folks like an aftermarket front seat. Good luck. Al
jachew
MTS: 2007 1100 (Red)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 5:36 pm Reply with quote

catneck,
My wife has a 650 Strom and I enjoy riding it a great deal. Very solid, and reliable motorcycle. If you can swing it, keep the Strom and grab a Multi.

If sell it you must, spring is around the corner and the Stroms, especially the 650's are good buys, so there is a future Strom owner out there. My wife bought the last 650 in our area the first few days into July. The dealer had just received hers the evening before and we were looking at her Flat Black Strom on the showroom at 1100 am and rode out that afternoon. Incidentally, the only 1000 Strom they had was a 07 model, the 08's had also sold out. Bottom line, they are popular so you should find a buyer if you are selling yours.

Good luck with your decision. I will be watching this thread to see what unfolds down the road for you.
take care,
JC
The Duchess of Desmo
MTS: 2008 1100 (Red)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 8:09 pm Reply with quote

oooh once you have ridden her she will keep haunting you...you won't rest till you get one!! Razz

Spensersdad
No Multistrada

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 7:01 pm Reply with quote

Greetings catneck!

I too am looking for a Multistrada, but an 1100S. I talked to Craig Hansen recently and he told me about a 620 he was taking in trade from a family member. He said it has lots of goodies on it. If you haven't been to Hansen's lately you might want to check it out.

catneck
No Multistrada

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 9:22 pm Reply with quote

That one is real nice and has the Arrow exhaust. I will try to look at it this weekend, snow permitting. And someone buying my V-Strom permitting....

MTS: 2006 620 (Red)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 3:14 pm Reply with quote

My new to me 06 Multistrada will be here tomorrow.
Deal too good to pass up. I will be seeking advice/spreading tales here a bunch now that I have a sexy Italian sleeping next to the big German in the garage.
My first non black bike in a while. Ducati Red is refreshing. Smile

MTS: 2005 620 (Yellow)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 3:20 pm Reply with quote

Hi Chris, I hope you enjoy the Multi, I love mine. Just a note on the seat; I have found mine very comfortable and have completed 11 hour days on it with no aches at all, but other owners here have found the need to change them. I guess we are all different shapes....