Password:

Log me on automatically each visit

Problems signing in?

Register

Forum index -   Wanna buy: MTS or ST3
vf84pc
MTS: Not specified

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 12:25 am Reply with quote

I currently own a 98 M900 My friend and I want to ride from NY to California this summer. I was thinking ST but I found the MTS to be more to my liking. Is the MTS the bike to do 3000 Miles on? How is the weather protection with the half faring? If you have some input good or bad please reply.
vduc
MTS: Not specified

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 1:36 am Reply with quote

I just did a 1500 mile 4 day trip on my `04 Multistrada and didn't find it too bad. I would change windscreen to a taller one (the `05 I think already have one) and add handguards to block the wind before I did a long trip again. The windscreen for better protection and to cut wind noise since I wear a Arai RX7-RR4 which allows a lot of wind noise. The handguards because even with heated grips at 35-40 degrees F my hands where getting cold. Otherwise I didn't have any issues with the half fairing other than having to clean a bugs out of the engine more work than a fairing Laughing

I changed the seat as the original ones were bricks, but I hear the new ones are much better. Either bike in my opinion would be good. I know this is a Multistrada forum but the new Triumph Sprint ST looks pretty nice, and if the motor is as good or better than the current one, it'll be great.

Vito
fmechini
MTS: 2005 1000S DS (Red)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 1:42 am Reply with quote

I would not ride the MTS for 3000 miles. The ST3 is built for that kind of trips in mind. You will ride 90mph on an ST3 without even knowing it ... at that speed w/o big wind screen on the MTS you will flip flop all over ...

I had an ST3 and liked the highway feel but hated the city rides ...

The MTS is a good allaround bike but can't keep up with the ST3 on the highway.

my .02 cents Fred

2005 Red Ducati Multistrada "la signorina"
2003 Blue Suzuki DR650 "il muletto"
lotus54
MTS: 2005 1000S DS (Red)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 11:04 pm Reply with quote

How many miles a day?
I have a ST2 (for sale) and just bought a MTS. I found myself doing backroads more, at lower speeds. The MTS is way more comfy below about 80mph for me. Above that and the ST starts to win out.
Much depends on how comfortable each bike is for YOU, and how fast you are going to be riding. If you think the speeds are likely to be 80mph or lower, maybe 500 mile days or less and you just plain like the MTS better- then I would get it.
I rode my MTS for a couple of hours today, then hopped on the ST to fill the tank up. Around town I don't care for the ST, but the MTS is great. The long ride on the ST would have been fine, but for me- the MTS is still better.

Can you take both for a longer ride?

Mark

vf84pc wrote:
I currently own a 98 M900 My friend and I want to ride from NY to California this summer. I was thinking ST but I found the MTS to be more to my liking. Is the MTS the bike to do 3000 Miles on? How is the weather protection with the half faring? If you have some input good or bad please reply.