Password:

Log me on automatically each visit

Problems signing in?

Register

Forum index -   Wanna buy: Need Honest Opinion on a Trade
gonesurfin7
MTS: 2005 620 Dark (Flat black)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 11:06 pm Reply with quote

Ok so here's the deal. I own a 2007 Triumph Speed Triple, stock, mint, with about 5000 miles on it, but I want something with more touring potential. I recently was given an offer of a trade for a 2004 multi 1000DS with 6,000 miles, mint, recently tuned, with a givi topcase, straight up.

Think What I am wondering is does this sound like a fair trade value wise? Is 04 a good year multi? my friend has a 620 '06 that I am bonkers for ('cept the lack of power), but I am worried about trading for an older bike and wondering if it'll hold its value.

Any thoughts, comments, or advise is greatly appreciated!
Joeymac
MTS: 2004 1000 DS (Gray)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 11:51 pm Reply with quote

Just bought an 04 1000 - low km as well, and I can vouch that they keep their value. If you like the triumph triples, you can get a Tiger probably newer and cheaper. I was torn between my 04 multi and an 08 Tiger. Both had less than 1000km and the Tiger was only 1500 CDN more.
That being said, I still picked the Multi. Smile
mandrbarrett
MTS: 2003 1000 DS (Red)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 11:47 am Reply with quote

I wouldn't swap for a bike 3 years older. However the MTS is still a brilliant bike, so I'd consider getting a newer one or getting a cash adjustment on the deal.
potomacduc
MTS: 2004 1000 DS (Black)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 3:40 pm Reply with quote

I don't know the value of a 2007 Speed Triple, but a clean '04 MTS1000DS can be had for under $7000. If you're shopping '03-'06 Multis (or any 1000DS engined bike from those years) you need to check into the valve guide issue. Most bikes don't have the problem, but it should be checked out (do a thread search). To be honest, I would almost be more comfortable with an older 1000DS that had some miles as opposed to a bike that has barely been ridden.

If the bike checks out make the trade, but as a previous poster noted, you likely will want a cash adjustment for your newer Triumph.

Last edited by potomacduc on Mon Mar 16, 2009 12:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
DR14
MTS: 2006 1000 DS (Red)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 12:08 am Reply with quote

I don't know cost issues between the two but I switched from an '04 955i S3 to an '06 1000 Multi DS and it is so much better in every way,
is just as much a hooligan bike as the Speed Triple w tons of useable torque, handles way better and can tour for days on end,
def. make the switch to a Multi (even if not that one) you will not regret it.

-Dave
ss400
MTS: 2005 1000 DS (Red)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 12:28 am Reply with quote

I have no idea on relative prices in the US, but in 2009 here in Australia I bought an '05 Multi 1000DS with 2000 miles, a soft bag set & heated grips for the price of a new delivered 09 Street Triple. I thought I got a pretty good deal, saving about 1/3 off the cost of a new Multi 1100.

Some people get hung up on resale values. Are you going to ride it? Or just keep it and then sell it? Stubborn

If you ignore the year, what you are buying is the unused miles in the bike. Both have similar miles on the clock. OK so there's a 1000 in it, but that's just a decent month or two of fun weekends, maybe less. And to be honest my Multi wasn't even run in 'till 6000 miles.

And remember, the most you can loose on a bike is what you paid for it, plus of course the cost of fuel, tyres, servicing insurance etc etc etc which in the end is usually more than the bike itself. Think
gonesurfin7

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 1:04 am Reply with quote

Thanks for all the feedback everyone. I'm still kind of wary because of what some of you said about the year difference.

The multi does come with a givi topcase and zerograv windscreen, would that be a sufficient cash difference or what would you recommend?

If he just had a service done on the bike a couple hundred miles ago would that have uncovered the valve guide issue?

P.S. Is there an "s" model '04?
SpeedwayRN
MTS: Not specified

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 9:16 am Reply with quote

Ducatis are like love..............neither one makes financial sense Whistle

2007 Moto Guzzi Breva 1100- Antonio - died a traumatic death!
2006 MV Agusta 910s-Ginger Is missed dearly! God Bless Mossimo Tamburini
1975 Honda CB750
potomacduc

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 12:42 pm Reply with quote

gonesurfin7 wrote:
Thanks for all the feedback everyone. I'm still kind of wary because of what some of you said about the year difference.

The multi does come with a givi topcase and zerograv windscreen, would that be a sufficient cash difference or what would you recommend?

If he just had a service done on the bike a couple hundred miles ago would that have uncovered the valve guide issue?

P.S. Is there an "s" model '04?

There was not a S version in '04. A service bulletin exists for the valve guide issue, so I would think that a good shop should have been looking, but these days you never can tell for sure. You may want to check with the shop and see if the technician is aware of the bulletin and if he checked.

I've bought two '04 Multistradas in the past 2 years and I still watch the ads. Still this is just my opinion, but I would say that a clean '04 with no issues with a topbox and screen is right around the $7K mark here in the US. Anything under $6700 would be a nice deal and anything over $7300 would be pushing it. Now of course I am talking about a black Multi. The slower red version should be at least $500 less. Laughing Seriously though, if your Speed Triple is worth more than $7300, then I think you should look to get some cash with the deal.

As for the future resale value of the bike, like somebody said, do you plan to ride it or sell it? If you are going to keep the bike for at least 2 years, I wouldn't worry the tiniest bit. Even if you do like to switch bikes every year, you are probably ok. Older 1000DS Multis have taken most of their depreciation already. As I alluded to above, I bought an '04 MTS in January '07 and another in July '07. From what I can tell, prices haven't dropped much since then. When you are looking at bikes that are more then 3 or 4 years old, condition starts to matter more than age.

Everyone's take on the feel of bike engines is different, but I greatly prefer the 1000DS motor to the 1050. Make the trade, but continue to do your homework and make the right deal.

Again, just all my opinion.
potomacduc

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 2:19 pm Reply with quote

This is far from you, but a great deal: http://www.multistrada.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=17003&highlight=

I am in the DC area and I bought my bike from a dealer in CO. I think shipping was about ~$600.
TTT
MTS: Not specified

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 5:43 pm Reply with quote

gonesurfin7 wrote:
...If he just had a service done on the bike a couple hundred miles ago would that have uncovered the valve guide issue?...

the valve guide issue is usually (but not always) evident at the first major service.

P.S. with the bike being over 4 years old you should check to see that the belts were replaced at the 6K mile service.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 4:52 pm Reply with quote

I asked for 500$ in addition to the trade, he accepted. Looks like it's going to happen soon, I'm stoked!
potomacduc

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 12:32 pm Reply with quote

Congratulations! Looking over 2007 Speed Triple prices on ebay and Craigslist, I think you made a fair trade. Enjoy the MTS! Ducati logo