Log me on automatically each visit

Problems signing in?

Register

Forum index -   Wanna buy: Riding position
Goto page 1, 2  Next
guenelin
No Multistrada

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 2:42 am Reply with quote

While I'm sure this has been discussed many times, I have not found a single post that answers my question. How forward-posture is the Multistrada? I'm close to purchasing an '08 MTS, but also considering BMW F800 ST and BMW R1200 RT. Anyone compared the seating position on those Beemers vs Ducati?

The Ducati dealership suggested getting the gel seat for the Multi, I've considered adding the Ducati handle-bar extenders too.

I haven't had the chance to sit on all three the same day. My current, and first, bike is a Kawasaki Vulcan 500 LTD. I'm well aware that a sport-tourer will have a substantially different position from my cruiser, however, I expect to still sit pretty upright.

I'm 5'9, with a 30"inseam and a 33.5" sleeve. I'm not super fit so I'm concerned about the weight on my upper-body, especially my back and my arms/hands.
lotus54
MTS: 2005 1000S DS (Red)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 3:28 am Reply with quote

I normally don't have any weight on my arms at all.
I tend to sit quite far forward when riding quickly (probably from my dirt background).

I'm 5'10" and longer legs. Not sure of my sleeve.

Yes, it will be very different than the LTD.
I don't personally like the 'feet forward' position of many bikes, I like to have my feet under me. I weight the pegs a lot and lift off the seat an inch or so quite a bit on really tight roads.

Have you test ridden one yet? That is the best way.
One with a centrestand can give you an idea- but wear all your riding gear when you do so.

Mark

Beta XTrainer 300
The Xile
MTS: 2007 1100S (Red)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 10:45 am Reply with quote

I'm 5'10'' with a 30 inch waist and don't have any comfort problems except the usual numb arse after 80 miles or so.
I find my mts 1100s easy to manoeuvre both on and off and I'm not exactly strong.
I tend to sit in the saddle at different spots depending on the road ahead. Near the tank on the short twisties, a little further back on long sweeping bends and full back in the seat on straight motorways / bigger roads.
I've heard that the gel seat is a good purchase but I haven't been in enough discomfort yet to change the original seat.
Say YES to an MTS Very Happy
Ged
mixemongpete
MTS: 2007 1100 (Red)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 12:27 pm Reply with quote

i bought an 07 bmw 800st . The footpegs i felt were too high and the handle bars to
low, unfortunately i didn't realize this at time of purchase. three weeks later i got a chance to ride the multi, i traded the beemer that day and have been very very happy since. unfortunately i lost a tidy sum of $ in my learning curve. the upright riding position of the multi suits me perfectly, with the gel seat,14 tooth sprocket, and the ''fat duck'' this is the best most fun bike iv'e ever had.
Steve
MTS: 2003 1000 DS (Red)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 12:30 pm Reply with quote

I'm almost the same size/height as you. I swapped my standard bars for Renthal's which are swept back further and slightly lower. They are more comfortable and you don't need to lean forward.
I have a gel seat and have also bought an Alaskan Leather sheepskin cover for the seat which has made a big difference in comfort (although I get the ususal comments about road kill).
bgone
MTS: 2004 1000 DS (Red)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 2:49 pm Reply with quote

I traded in a '99 RT for my Multi, have sat on the newer models and consider the riding position quite similar. At first I thought I leaned forward a tad more on the Multi but I am very comfortable with the position now. I also have the gel seat and in my opinion, it is an improvement over the stock '04 seat.

I also have sat on the F800st and liked the position other than my legs felt a little too bent and the bike a bit smallish. But I am 6'4"
guenelin
No Multistrada

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 4:52 pm Reply with quote

ok. So you feel the RT and the Multistrada are almost identical in seating position. Perfect, thank you. That was my impression too. I've sat in both though driven neither. While I love many of the features on the RT, the lightweight of the Multi is very atractive.
kenfield
MTS: 2007 1100S (Black)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 9:38 pm Reply with quote

These are 2 VERY different bikes you are trying to compare. I have had the BMW RT, RS, GS, and many others over the years. You really need to test ride each of them and not just around the block. The MTS is nimble and quick and the most fun bike I've ever ridden. The RT offers creature comfort, and is more suited to long distance touring. Yes, they each offer an upright riding position, but that's pretty much the end of their similarities.
dmk
MTS: 2007 1100S (Red)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 11:00 am Reply with quote

guenelin wrote:
ok. So you feel the RT and the Multistrada are almost identical in seating position. Perfect, thank you. That was my impression too. I've sat in both though driven neither. While I love many of the features on the RT, the lightweight of the Multi is very atractive.

They are similar but the RT is definitely more upright - absolutely straight upright in fact. The Multi has just a bit of a forward lean, the 'S' model a little more than the standard model, but it's hardly noticeable when you're riding.

By far, the biggest difference is the wind protection. The RT is like riding behind a barn door - at least that's how I felt. A stock Multi has way less wind protection so you'll be leaning into the wind a little at highway speeds. Even with the big Laminar screen + lip and hard guards, the Multi won't keep you in a bubble of still air like the RT, if that's what you're looking for.

Also, the Multi bars have less sweep, so you ride in a more elbows-out, dirt bike style riding position. But then again, you can swap bars on the Multi to tune it more to your liking.

Dave

dohcdelsol93
MTS: 2006 620 Dark (Flat black)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 12:00 pm Reply with quote

i went from an 08 nighthawk to the multi.

I found that i sit slightly more forward on the multi, my arms were pretty tired after the 2 hr drive from Charlotte NC to Greenville SC the night i picked her up.

It took me about 2 weeks for my arms to get used to the new riding position and i usually work out (lift weights) about 2-4 times a week. So that may have had something to do with my arms being sore after just 10 min on the bike those first two weeks.

Now i can ride all day and they feel fine.

To me the biggest issue is the numbing of the arse. That and my feet not being able to sit completely flat on the ground in a comfortable riding position(which is only an issue to me when i'm riding and there is a possibility of ice/snow in the road) I have the sergant seat, i'm not sure if the ducati gel seat is any better, the sergant is super hard and as soon as i get the money to spend it's being tossed for a gel seat.

Because of my height (6'2) i sit as far back as the seat will let me. When i come to a stop only the tips of my toes touch the ground unless i slide forward. It's not much of an issue unless i'm riding 2 up and thats only because my girl is fidgity if she's not right against my back. So that issue is definately more of a passenger issue and not a bike issue. Although with as high as the passenger sits on this bike (and being a super light bike) any move the passenger makes can really affect the direction the bike wants to pull.

Overall it's comfortable, far more comfortable than my nighthawk was. I had to get a zg touring (tall) windscreen to allow me to sit more upright without the wind directing right on my helmet causing a very stiff neck after a little 60+mph riding.

MTS: 2005 1000 DS (Red)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 12:30 pm Reply with quote

I have always felt that the MTS gives you the handling and performance of a sport bike (good) without the laid over the tank posture (bad).

My bike came with a corbin seat, and I really like it. No arse problems after 500+ mile days. I hear that the gel will heat up in the sun...
F1Tod
MTS: Not specified

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 12:59 am Reply with quote

How about me. I'm 5'7, 130 lbs. I'm shopping used Ducatis and am leaning towards a Multistrada or the Monster. I live close to work ( 7 miles, no highway). My wife would like to ride along sometimes.
I have ridden a 900 monster and I like the low seat height. How high does the Multistrada sit ( I've never sat on one and there are not any dealerships very close). I would love to buy a multistrada, but am worried about my verticaly challenged legs.
archkevinbrown
MTS: 2006 620 (Custom colour)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 11:05 am Reply with quote

F1Tod wrote:
How about me. I'm 5'7, 130 lbs. I'm shopping used Ducatis and am leaning towards a Multistrada or the Monster. I live close to work ( 7 miles, no highway). My wife would like to ride along sometimes.
I have ridden a 900 monster and I like the low seat height. How high does the Multistrada sit ( I've never sat on one and there are not any dealerships very close). I would love to buy a multistrada, but am worried about my verticaly challenged legs.

If you really want a Multi, you may want to look for a 620, although it is a three year old model. At 830 mm (32.69 in), it's about 3/4" shorter than the 1000/1100. I have one, and with a 32-1/2" inseam, my legs are just long enough to get both heels on the ground. (edit - that's sitting all the way back. Standing forward, I can also take all weight off the bike with both feet flat.) Although the uprightness of the Multi is great for city street visibility, if you don't need the luggage options and don't expect to spend time on long rides or on highways, then the Monster may be altogether more suitable.

Last edited by archkevinbrown on Mon Apr 20, 2009 10:06 pm; edited 1 time in total

'09 Suzuki DR650 Nameless 9/'10 - 5/'11
'08 Aprilia RSV Lara, aka Silver Lion 3/'10 - current
Rup
MTS: 2008 1100S (Red)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 9:56 pm Reply with quote

F1Tod wrote:
How about me. I'm 5'7, 130 lbs. I'm shopping used Ducatis and am leaning towards a Multistrada or the Monster. I liv How high does the Multistrada sit ( I've never sat on one and there are not any dealerships very close). I would love to buy a multistrada, but am worried about my verticaly challenged legs.

I'm 6 feet with a 32" inseam. I flat foot it with the stock seat. You should sit on one and see if your feet can reach the ground. I haven't carried a passenger yet, but I wonder if it will be more difficult than a lower bike to keep the weight of two people upright at stops, than with a lower bike.

2010 StreetfighterS;
2010 SV650SA*;
2009 848;
2009 Monster 696;
2008 CB250 Nighthawk.
* = Current
lotus54
MTS: 2005 1000S DS (Red)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 2:38 am Reply with quote

I'm 5' 10" and had no trouble with both feet flat on the ground.
But I tend to sit fairly far forward also.

Mark

Beta XTrainer 300