Multistrada Wiki
  About us
 Login

Username:

Password:

Log me on automatically each visit

Problems signing in?

Register

Forum index -   Wanna buy: Almost convinced.
husky
MTS: Not specified

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 7:09 pm Reply with quote

I'm used to 100bhp plus but would like to ride something more versatile and comfy than a race style sportsbike, and my supermoto. I would appreciate any views from owners who have mts' that have come from a similiar place. Other queries; How is the finish holding up? Has anyone fittted lighter engine internals? Is ground clearance really a problem? What is a physically comfortable cruising speed? Are running costs high? ( I know it's a Ducati but modern technology has evened the playing field somewhat ). I'm pretty sure I want the S DS, any comments on the differences in real world terms? I know it's alot to ask, but this forum is very helpful and an enjojayable read. Am also considering BM GS, Tuono, ST4S, KTM950. I ride all year round with average mileage 15 - 20 thou.

Many thanks.
Husky hooligan.
Tee-Dub

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 1:56 pm Reply with quote

The KTM, Tuono, and ST4s are all great bikes, IMHO the BMW GS doesn't belong in the same class as these others. These all have a degree of excitement that the BMW just doesn't offer. The Multistrada is lighter and easier to ride than all of these bikes. The lowish horsepower is forgotten as soon as you get into the twisties. Freeway cruising? Not bad, but the ST4s would be the best bike for that. I have heard the Multi referred to as "the most fun under a ton" meaning the best bike under 100mph. The Multi will offer slightly better wind protection than the Tuono and will be more comfortable on road than the KTM. In the end only you can decide. Go ride one, most dealers are more than willing to offer a test ride on a Mulitstrada.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 2:01 pm Reply with quote

I guess I didn't address all you questions. As far as finish, mine looks great, but it is garage kept, washed and waxed regularly, and is only 1 year old.

Ground clearance? I've never come close to dragging parts and my rear tire is scrubbed from edge to edge. I think anyone that has problems dragging parts isn't hanging off the bike properly in tight stuff, or is just a crazy ass racer at a track.

There is a big bore kit available for the engine. Also, a relatively inexpensive mod is the lightweight flywheel that will help the motor to rev quicker. After doing exhaust mods and a power commander, I don't find slow revving a problem. I have found the rev limiter a few times since doing these mods and the engine never wound up that quick before.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 7:57 pm Reply with quote

Thank you for your informed reply. Although it's alot of fun deciding which bike to buy, it's also quite nerve racking. Like alot of passionate motorcyclists I spend way more than I can responsibly afford! your reply is most useful and further weights my decision in favour of an MTS. I am currently waiting on a demonstrator to be made available. Glad to hear about the finish as I've recently moved to Scotland and it appears to be the road salt capital of the world! But, the riding here is glorious, far better than the overcrowded London area. Cheers.
Kerrigan Blackman

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 1:35 pm Reply with quote

I agree with Tee Dubs comments.
I came from an Aprilia Mille, but I can honestly say that the Multi is miles more fun for most of the time.
Yes, occasionally you will miss blasting past cars at 130mph - but how often do you really do that anyway?
It definately is the most fun to be had at under 100mph.
In town its great. In the twisties its great. It sounds great - especially with Termis.
Servicing costs are quite high - the yearly cost around £325.00 (ouch!)
But there is a lot of fiddling and dismantling to be paid for.....
JUST DO IT!