Multistrada Wiki
  About us
 Login

Username:

Password:

Log me on automatically each visit

Problems signing in?

Register

Forum index -   Wanna buy: Is the MS 620 good for touring?
pmrick
MTS: 2007 1100S (Black)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2005 9:21 pm Reply with quote

First time posting here, so hello everyone!

I'll be taking a rider course in about three weeks and plan to buy my first bike then. I've spent the past year actively exploring my options, at one stage or another, considering everything from a Harley cruiser to a sport bike, but I seem to keep coming back to the Multistrada. I don't plan to use the bike for daily commuting, but rather for weekend rides and some touring/traveling. The MS seems to fit the bill nicely. I'll probably get the 620 since I don't want to get in over my head while I learn, but I do have a couple questions/concerns:

1. I'm 6'1" tall, weighing 190 lbs, so I'm not a small guy. Will the 620 work for me?

2. Is the 620 a comfortable ride on longer trips? I'm hoping to take a week-long trip through the western United States late this summer if I feel my skills are up to it. I'm a little concerned that the bike might be on the small/light side for longer trips, though. Have any of you gone touring on one? And in general, what are your thoughts about a long trip shortly after learning to ride?

Thanks for you input. This is a great forum.

Update: One more question: Are the side cases available for the 620?

Last edited by pmrick on Fri Jul 22, 2005 9:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
carockwell
MTS: Not specified

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2005 6:44 am Reply with quote

People these days have gone power crazy. The 620 makes more power and torque than the old 750 GT's of yesteryear. The GT's were considered high speed sport touring bikes capable of going 85mph all day long. I know, I used to do that on my 860 GT, which is a LOT slower than a 620. You will have to use the gears more on a 620, BUT THAT's WHAT MAKES IT FUN. It also feels like you are really flying at 80 mph. You won't want to cruise much faster, which can be a blessing if you already have points on your license. If you want to cruise faster than 80mph get a 1000. A 620 is a lot like the old 70's Ducati superbikes. Nobody ever complained about them being too slow! If you are just taking luggage on the tour, the 620 is fine. If you are going to take a passenger, the 620 is marginal. But hell, Robert Pirsig wrote "Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance" describing people touring two up on 650cc Triumphs and Beemers. How much power do you need? The original Kawasaki Z-1 did the quarter mile in 12.48 seconds. A Ducati 620 Monster does it in 12.59 seconds. Believe me, that will seem plenty fast when you try it. The 1000 bikes are so damn fast they frighten people, I am not ashamed to say I am one of them. I also don't like machines that are way faster then me, where I only get to use 75% of what the machine is capable of. It is a lot of fun to really wring a machine out and use all of its potential. That is a joy 99% of the superbike riders will never know.

Sorry I used the word "I" so many times. Been a bit self absorbed lately.
pmrick
MTS: 2007 1100S (Black)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2005 3:49 pm Reply with quote

Thanks for the response, but I never said anything about going fast. That's not my goal. Rather, my questions are regarding the ergonomics of the bike, particularly on longer trips, given my size.
carockwell

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 3:59 am Reply with quote

The two bikes are the same except that the 620 suspension is lowered a bit. A tall rider could hardly find a better bike than a Multistrada. Maybe a BMW RT would fit better, but that's about it.
Erik

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 4:44 am Reply with quote

Hi

I love my Multistrada, but there i also the new BMW GS??
Big bike for big boys... Mr. Green

Erik Bjorn
Copenhagen
jbcaddy

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 3:47 pm Reply with quote

Back around '72, I toured the US of A on a 750 honda. two up for 12,000 miles. never had a thought that I needed more power to get over the high passes in Colorado or to fight the headwinds on the praries. I just last week met a guy that rode a 305 Honda scrambler to Ohio and back from California. People have ridden 50cc mopeds across the states. It all depends on your frame of mind. several people have earned Iron Butt badges on KLR650's. I just sold mine, and believe me, I would MUCH rather ride a "little" 620 Multi any day. I am 6'3 and around 230lbs and absolutely love my multistrudle. I personally like the power, but feel that if I didn't know the difference, the smaller motor would be just as much of a smile machine. Happy riding!