Password:

Log me on automatically each visit

Problems signing in?

Register

Forum index -   Wanna buy: Need Help in Purchase Decision
Tomster330
MTS: Not specified

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2003 10:58 pm Reply with quote

Last Saturday I sold my Honda ST 1300 after 10 months of ownership. Absolutely wonderful except for one fatal flaw.......a near dangerous amount of engine heat that is blasted onto the lower legs. Living in Texas, that made rides of any distance literally impossible from June through September.

So today I took a Multistrada out for a 30 minute test ride. Perhaps I've forgotten the feel of V-Twins, perhaps I forgot the feel of the elements hitting you full on, but I gotta say, I wasn't terribly impressed. Compared to that silky smooth V-4 in the Honda, this Ducati engine shook everything on the bike as well as my teeth. Certainly once I got beyond 6,000 rpm the engine really came to life and smoothed out nicely but the majority of the time I'm not racing like a bat out of Hell so I'd have to put up with the engine shake. The rear view mirrors shook so much that it was impossible to tell whether the car behind me was a civilian or cop.

As for the elements hitting me at 90 mph, that's not the Ducati's fault....it is what it is. I suppose I really got spolied with an electric windshield with an 8 inch travel. I admit that the return trip was more enjoyable as in that short amount of time I was able to reacclimate myself to this style of riding.

So I've opened myself up to some flaming but that's really not my intention. I WANT to love this bike. I WANT to own this bike. What I need is a little encouragement that, with time, I will learn to love and appreciate it. I'd like to hear from anyone who once owned a sport tourer and why you'd now never go back to that type of bike.

Thanks for your time.
kenvvy
MTS: 2004 1000 DS (Red)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2003 11:20 pm Reply with quote

I love my multi - but it doesn't sound like its what you are looking for. This is not a long distance comfort bike. I have done a few 3-400 mile days, but mostly through the mountains - twisties and stuff. It's not silky smooth nor is it trouble free. But every time I get off of it, I am smiling for a couple of days. It is the most fun I've had riding in ages - and thats what it was built for. Fun - pure fun - with just a little bit of practicality thrown in to make it useful around town and for shorter trips.
slemers

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2003 11:57 pm Reply with quote

Here's my take on your dilemma. My previous bike was a 96 BMW R1100RS. Initially, I had much of the same feeling that you had. I just couldn't get comfortable with the riding position and missed the Boxer quirkiness.
The reason I bought the Multi was to get a sportier ride without inflicting major back and wrist pain on my self.
After 1500 miles or so, the engine has lost almost all of it's buzziness. You do have to keep the rpm at or above 4250 to keep it from lugging in any gear except 1st.
In the summer you may find that the MTS puts out quite abit of heat too.
I'd like to have several bikes, but that's not practical for me. I've really started to enjoy the bike. The minimal bodywork and lack of a true fairing bothers me some. Yesterday I did 100 miles or so in the rain, and I had water in places that I never had water before. The lack of a hugger means that every piece of crap on the road ends up on your body or the bike!!
Just about all you have said is valid, but you missed the shuddering brakes, poor weld quality and a few other issues.
RawdonYoung

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2003 1:09 am Reply with quote

Traded in my ST1300 after 10 months and 26,000 miles for a Multistrada. I do miss the protection (it's getting cold here in the northeast), but I don't miss the weight. I have only 1600 miles on the Duc and yes there is vibration at lower RPMs, brake shudder now and then, and some heat, but, ... I am once again finding excuses to go riding and maybe the best way I can put it is that I feel like I have returned to motorcycles -- i.e., the excitement is back). Not that the ST1300 was bad (you don't put that kind of mileage on a bike you don't like to ride).
stisma
MTS: 2003 1000 DS (Red)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2003 1:23 am Reply with quote

It is very lovable bike. MTS is my 11th bike and my favorite. Just keep in mind that MTS is not touring bike. Europeans call it touring, but touring in Europe in not 1,000 miles trip. I find it as nimble in town as dual purpose bike, fairly comfy for 200-500 mile trips and just perfect for mixed roads, short straights, planty of twisties, ups-downs. And, for some reason, I don't have to keep RPM's over 4,5000. It works just fine.
Buy it and love it. Wink
TimB

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2003 1:47 am Reply with quote

> I WANT to love this bike.

Don't be absurd. If you like the bike, buy it. If you don't, and it sounds like you don't, don't.

Tim
Tomster330

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2003 4:08 am Reply with quote

Appreciate the thoughts, although wanting to love this bike is not being absurd. I want to love a Ferrarri as well, knowing that it's not going to be as comfortable as an Escalade. You can want something simply for its sex appeal, for its heritage. You think that most Harley guys buy their bikes because they've read comparison mags and made an informed decision that the Soft Tail was the clear winner? No. They buy Harleys for the image and the comradarie. I want to love this Ducati in part because of its Italian racing heritage and, because at 45, its pretty much the only one I can ride without back and wrist pain.

Living in Central Texas I have the advantage of being able to hop on a bike and ride up and down twisties all day long. It's exhilarating on the right bike. The ST 1300 handled the twisties amazingly well for a 700 lb bike but did not make your heart race like a performance bike would. Ultimately, the engine shake, lack of protection and questionable weld quality may force me to decide on another bike but I want to give this one every opportunity to impress me.

Last question. Someone mentioned the MTS can also get hot in the summer. It was about 80 degrees when I test rode today and I felt heat from under the seat....no biggie unless it gets considerably hotter in the summer. Was this an issue with anyone? Certainly, I felt no engine heat on my legs which was a nice change of pace.
Greg

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2003 2:24 pm Reply with quote

I have 6200 miles on my bike including a 2000 mile week in rizona at the end of summer 95 degrees I never have had a problem with the heat

MTS: 2004 1000 DS (Gray)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2003 6:55 pm Reply with quote

I purchased the Multistrada a week ago and three days later sold my ST1100 ABS. The ST is an obvious winner at eating huge chunks of miles (I returned two weeks ago from an eleven state ride) but it was time for a new bike with an altogether different spirit. And as I told my wife, I either had to take a body building class or get a lighter bike! The ST is fine on the road but paddling around at parking lot speeds was rarely a joy-filled experience.

There's just no way a partially faired MST is going to give you that same glove-like protection that an ST does. Frankly, I’m willing to endure the elements a bit more in exchange for less plastic and bloat. And if you want kick-ass acceleration in a touring package, get the Yamaha FJR. A compromise sport-tour-compact might be something like the Interceptor, if you don’t mind a plain vanilla personality in your bikes.

For me--after 36 years of riding Japanese bikes--I wanted to taste the Italian flavor of two-wheel excitement. And like you (I'm 52) I no longer wanted to return from a day of riding with wrists that felt like I'd been opening jars of peanut butter all week.

The MST has made me more eager to ride than almost all of the bikes I've owned over the years. Here’s why:

It's fun! I could call the ST1100 lots of nice things but "fun" was never the first one to come to mind. The MST has tons of personality and makes me smile.

It's different. It turns heads with its long-legged stance and unique styling. It's not another repli-racer and it certainly isn't a friggin' cruiser.

It's spirited. The MST pulls like a dentist with an attitude and a car payment to make. Less stirring of the gearbox is nice for a change too.

It's well-rounded. With the stock equipment and list of accessories you can make the MST fill just about any motorcycling need. Will it handle each task as well as a specialized bike? Of course not. But it’s probably going to do just about everything better than any other bike.

Good luck making a decision! And if you want to know more, I’m just up the Texas road near Dallas.

Dan
axiam

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2003 9:42 pm Reply with quote

.....when I see BMW or other "Cast Iron Monument" behind my multistrada on futa pass I forget all the defects...in my opinion motorbikes needs to be chosen with the heart....only wives and washing machines needs to be chosen with the head....buy it and enjoy it....greetings from Florence...Italy....
Tomster330

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2003 12:30 pm Reply with quote

To Rawdon Young,

26,000 miles in 10 months!!! I had only 7,700 in the same time frame. Were you a member of the ST1300 Forum as well? I was......and was probably pegged as one of the complainers for my rants about the engine heat and the fact that it leaned to the right.

I assume in those miles were several multi-day long journeys. I know the ST ate highway miles for lunch but would you consider taking your MTS on similar jaunts? Everything seems a little too in your face for long highway trips. I bought my ST1300 with the intention of taking trips to Colorado, Montana, California but never did due to the heat issue and due to my friends never buying bikes for themselves. Which is why it is sold and I am now looking for something fun to blitz around a 150 mile radius of Central Texas.

I know the two bikes are not really in the same riding class but did anyone consider the Aprilia Tuono before buying your Duc? It probably contends more with a Monster but has a fairly upright riding position and is supposed to be an absolute blast to ride.
Greg

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2003 2:09 pm Reply with quote

I looked at the touno but it did not fit me well my knees hit the ridge in the tank being big limits the bikes I can ride

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2003 8:25 pm Reply with quote

Tomster,

I had one cross country jaunt in September and a number of trips mostly in the east. I was a member of the st1300 forum, I was one who was not bothered by the heat. On the cross country trip I was doing the California deserts in 100 F temperatiures, yet with my kevlar pants was never bothered by the heat- based upon the problems others had I considered my self lucky.

I do plan to take long trips with the MTS. I've got the bags mounted adn am witing for non-icicle forming weather. The longest I've done on it is about 300 miles in a day and so far no problem (although the seat starts out as a plank, by about 1500 miles it (or my butt) seems to have broken in -- I also have a gel pad form travelcade jsut in case). For my spring journey next year I plan to take Hwy 1 from DC to the Keys and for my summer journey, Hwy 1 from DC to the top of Maine. so I guess you could say I do plan to take long trips on it. My only real concern is reliability (it is really tough to beat Honda's reliability -- old honda's never die, they just run slower and slower)

I looked at the Tuono and would love to have one and would have bought one except, I do like to take long trips when work permits, and I just wouldn't have been able to bring my self to putting hard bags on it and I have been spoiled by hard bags for travel.

Speaking of which, the bags don't seen to affect handling, as when I passed a sport bike on the local twisties, he got po'd that a "bagger" paseed him, repassed me on a long stringht, but then was getting frustrated when he could get away from me in the twisties. I didn't have the heart to stop with him at the end of the twisties to let him know that not only was it a bagger the passed him and he couldn't get away from , but a bagger driven by a fat old man -- some things are just too cruel.

I really love this bike!