Log me on automatically each visit

Problems signing in?

Register

Forum index -   Wanna buy: A Question for the 620 Owners
Goto page 1, 2  Next
rjforlife
MTS: Not specified

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 5:27 pm Reply with quote

I am looking at a couple different 06 620's, and would like owners opinions who have toured on them. I have read many posts on
how well they handle in the twisties, but how planted/solid do they feel on the open road. I plan on doing mostly one day, maybe two day trips at best, although I do dream of being able to take a week or two tour. The best planted bike I previously owned was a VFR, and anyone who has ridden one knows how solid it felt on the road and through the corners.
That would be my choice again, but the riding position is not going to work for this old body.
Any opinions are greatly appreciated
MK96xj
MTS: 2006 620 (Red)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 6:28 pm Reply with quote

RJ,

Since I have a ZZR 600 as well that I have toured on extensively I think you maybe able to relate to my comparisons.

I have put about 45,000 miles on my ZZR and about 17,000 on my Multi in the last 6 months.

As others have noted the Multi is a fine handling bike in the twisties. I feel it out handles my ZZR in that it is easier to manipulate where as the ZZR you need to work harder. The Multi’s pegs touch down sooner than on my ZZR which at first was quite alarming but once use to this fact it is no longer an issue.

Touring on the Multi is very good. The seating position being more upright was something I needed to get used to. Unlike many people I find the ergos of a sportbike comfortable for long periods so sitting more upright took some getting used to for me however, now I am fine with it. Since I have recently had more ass time on the Multi, riding my ZZR now I find the peg location a little cramped.

When I was considering my Multi the engine was my biggest hurdle. I loved everything else about the bike.

Comparing the I4 of to the L2:
- The I4 is smooth and ridiculously fast (I have not ridden a VFR in quite some time but the ZZR has strong mid to high range power that comes on at about 4K RPMs)
- The I4 will happily sit all day at 80mph on highway blasts
- The L2 kinda chugged its way through the RPM’s but I like this now and it puts a stupid grin on my face running it to its red line
- The L2 (620 specific) does not like sitting at 80mph. It does it but I have noticed that the fuel mileage suffers slightly.
- The low end power of the L2 is GREAT for slow speed maneuvers that would have left me and the ZZR like a turtle on it shell.

My one HUGH issue was with the fuel tank capacity. The 620 tank and the 1000 or 1100 tank are the same minus the rear vent which allows the tank to be fully utilized. The stock 620 tanks only accepts about 3.5 – 3.7 gallons. With the vent you can get +/- 5 gallons in which as you can imagine greatly increases touring distance. I made my own venting within a few weeks of owning it as this drove me crazy and it was unacceptable to get much less than 200 miles out of a tank. I can now get up to 250 miles out of a tank if light on the throttle. Highway blasts at 80mph will drop this to about 215-220 miles.

Many people change out the windshield to suit their needs. Results will vary based on your size. I have a Zero Gravity touring screen currently and will be going to a Laminar screen soon. As I am 5’6” the Laminar should shield well.

I run Continental Road Attack tires and have found that the Multi likes to use rear tires. My front however has 16,000 miles on it and still going. Whereas the rear is gone in 8,000 mile. The ZZR would eat both front and back in 8K. I will accept the cost savings but still find this strange.

I do not have a center stand and I am torn on the decision to get one. It would certainly make on the road maintenance easier but since I touch down with the pegs already in spirited riding I think the centerstand would not last long with me. I am still working on a way to get the rear wheel off the ground when on the road. There are quickstands on the market that allow this. The one from Aerostich is highly recommended.

If you do your own maintenance and have never done valves on a Duc before don’t get caught up in the hype that it’s difficult. It’s not. Setting the valve clearance on the Duc I find much easier than the shim under bucket of the I4. Less valves and more room. My only issue on the Multi is that EVERYTHING need to come off to get to the vertical cylinder. If there is an easier way I have not found it yet but have not put much time into finding it either.

If I think f anything else I will let you know. If you have any specific questions let me know.
vern748
MTS: 2006 620 (Gray)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 6:40 pm Reply with quote

Get a different seat. Its a must if you plan on long trips.

MTS: 2006 620 (Custom colour)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 9:46 pm Reply with quote

Unless you plan on spending a lot of time on slab, figuring out what aftermarket windscreen to get may be more trouble than its worth.

Other than the fair-to-middling wind protection, the only thing I can think of that makes the 620 less than ideal for the kind of touring you describe is the suspension. It's fine for the twisty, roller-coastery and occasionally bumpy back roads, but if your last hour or so of a long day of riding offers only miles and miles of heaving, rutted, pot-holed pavement (as my trips home do), the different seat you'll be yearning for on that last leg will be the back seat of a town car.

'09 Suzuki DR650 Nameless 9/'10 - 5/'11
'08 Aprilia RSV Lara, aka Silver Lion 3/'10 - current
mb10039

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 12:22 am Reply with quote

620 worked great for me out of the box.
That being said, I have put the DP gel seats on- only slightly better than stock but when doing 400 mile days any little bit helps.

I regularily go with the side bags, top box and wife all hanging off the back. When we are fully loaded the suspension is pretty maxed out but I have had no issues. The only complaint- and it's a minor one- when we do end up doing segments on major slabs it becomes more of a handful when dealing with heavy trucks, etc. at 80mph. Thats when I realize that it is a pretty light bike...

And the 200 mile fuel stops never bother me cause that ends up being our perfect window for a leg stretch anyway.

All in all, three years of bliss....go for it!
Mike

rasty
MTS: 2005 620 (Red)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 5:57 pm Reply with quote

I spent 10 weeks in Europe with mine in 2007 and have no complaints. I have since done the tank venting mod mentioned above and now get up to 446kms - abt 275 miles(best so far). Everything is stock except the bars.

Biggest problem I have is deciding what I might replace it with.
SpeedwayRN
MTS: Not specified

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 7:07 pm Reply with quote

30K miles, stock seat, stock screen.

2007 Moto Guzzi Breva 1100- Antonio - died a traumatic death!
2006 MV Agusta 910s-Ginger Is missed dearly! God Bless Mossimo Tamburini
1975 Honda CB750
vern748

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 8:10 pm Reply with quote

the 620 loaded for bear

MTS: 2006 620 (Custom colour)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 9:29 pm Reply with quote

vern748 wrote:
the 620 loaded for bear

You might want to point out your mods. Razz

'09 Suzuki DR650 Nameless 9/'10 - 5/'11
'08 Aprilia RSV Lara, aka Silver Lion 3/'10 - current
MK96xj

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 10:59 pm Reply with quote

archkevinbrown wrote:
vern748 wrote:
the 620 loaded for bear

You might want to point out your mods. Razz

+1

Yeah Vern. Looks like you have done quite a bit. Single sided swingarm swap looks nice. What else you got going on there?
vern748

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 3:13 am Reply with quote

It has had a bit of help

Recent mods are a gel seat and Heat - Troller for heated gear ad heated hand grips.

Ps. Im also the one that created the extra fuel mod. Search for "MultiStrada 620 Fuel Tank Breather - More Fuel"
and
"749/999 front wheel on a Multistrada"

Cheers
Vern

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 3:34 am Reply with quote

vern748 wrote:
It has had a bit of help

Recent mods are a gel seat and Heat - Troller for heated gear ad heated hand grips.

Ps. Im also the one that created the extra fuel mod. Search for "MultiStrada 620 Fuel Tank Breather - More Fuel"
and
"749/999 front wheel on a Multistrada"

Cheers
Vern

Does your 620 still have the original kickstand?
vern748

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 4:16 pm Reply with quote

yep. There are no remote, automated levitation devices available for a motorcycle at this time. Very Happy

Last edited by vern748 on Thu Dec 10, 2009 7:15 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 7:00 pm Reply with quote

10000 miles in a year and a half. My knees don't ache on 500 mile days anymore. I have the DP windscreen, handguards, and the Beadrider seat beads, they work great.
Spend the day on Rt 33 west of Harrisonburg Va and you'll realize just how incredible this bike handles. Very quick to flick from side to side. I agree that on the highway over 80 you feel a bit "light" but it's a small price to pay when riding it everywhere else. Anyway, I'm only on a slab once or twice a year, so to me, the sacrifice is worth it.
Haven't had any issues with the bike at all, except when it refused to shut off and kept the starter motor going when I first got it. Never happened since.
I too had issues, mental ones, concerning the 620 engine....was it powerful enough???? Now, I'm of the mindset that smaller is better. It runs like a raped ape, sounds, and handles great. Range????? I go about 150 miles until the light comes on but find that in my old age of 45 I generally like to stop every 100 or so miles for a 5 minute stretch so it's a non issue for me. I'm still amazed that I get around 50 mpg.
Wanna buy mine?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 8:26 pm Reply with quote

vern748 wrote:
yep. There are no remote, automated levitation devices available for a motorcycle at this time. Very Happy

Haha. I asked because your 620 appears to be lower than stock height and wondered if the oem kickstand need to be replaced with say an adjustable unit.

I'm swapping the f/r suspension with stock units from a 1000DS and while I'm at it adjust the height to fit my 29" inseam.

Mark