Multistrada Wiki
  About us
 Login

Username:

Password:

Log me on automatically each visit

Problems signing in?

Register

Forum index -   Wanna buy: Is the multi for me?
Al McEwan
MTS: Not specified

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 11:42 am Reply with quote

What made all you guys buy the multi? How'd you get past the looks? Every time I look at it I'm torn between no way and that it looks so funky that I really like it. I miss my 907ie, it just felt right and the sound was incredible. Now I'm riding a Falco and it just doesn't do it for me, age is creeping into my back and shoulders. I spend alot of time on the highway back and forth to work, and I like to take off for long rides on the weekend. I need a bike I can go all day on. Got to have hard luggage this time and I'm in New England so my next bike is won't leave the shop without heated grips. Is it really that good?
Steve B
MTS: 2007 1100S (Black)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 12:16 pm Reply with quote

Just take one for a ride Al and you'll know. I also wanted more of an all around ride, had a couple of Ducati STs, and didn't know if I could handle the looks. When I rode one the summer of '03, I knew it was the bike I wanted and looks moved way down the priority list. As other maunfacturers are also tending to make bikes with funky lines like the MTS, it looks less odd too.
doctor_john

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 12:37 pm Reply with quote

i found in the multi (not my own yet... Sad ) the same comfort that i found on GS and TDM.
if you have a covered place to keep her, i think that you will love it.
i am getting tired over the 180km distance and the only reason that keep me away from her are my savings...
i 'm 1,81m and 85kgm. I am definately with Steve that propose a test ride, cause you never know!

Cool
falcofred
MTS: 2004 1000 DS (Red)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 2:29 pm Reply with quote

Al, make the move. I came off a Falco to the MTS, so did a couple of others on this list. While the Falco was great fun for a couple seasons, I wanted a bike with a sit up riding position, and hard luggage.
The MTS has some quirks, but no machine is perfect. Simalar to the Falco in some ways, the manual tells you absolutley nothing in the way of maintenace, except return it to your dealer. But lucky for us their is this this site and many others where we can share information.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 2:54 pm Reply with quote

Hi Al,

I came to the Multi from a 954 blade for the reasons by the sound of it: not old age but the pain was just getting to me a bit too much. Anything longer than an hour in the saddle moved very rapidly away from being fun to something approaching torture.

I don't think you'll look back if you make the change. I think the Multi is a great looking bike. It handles superbly. It's great fun. It's easy to ride fast. It handles all day touring equally well. What more can you ask for?

I got the Multi as it was something a bit different to the mainstream. It attracts a lot of attention from bikers and non-bikers alike. And the community surrounding the bike is second to none: just look at the activity on this site! So many helpful and like minded people. You can't buy that kind of support from any shop or mechanic.

Go for it Al, you won't regret it for a minute.

Cheers,
Chris.
------
lotus54
MTS: 2005 1000S DS (Red)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 4:02 pm Reply with quote

I used to own a 907ie, then a couple of ST2s now I sold the ST2 for the Multistrada 'S'. I really liked the 907 also, I had custom bar risers on it that raised them up and inch and back an inch, with the Crobin saddle I could do 600 mile days easily.
The ST2 had WAY better suspension, sounded good but wasn't quite as comfy for me. I had 1" bar risers on it with the stock seat. But I also found I wasn't as confortable on it below about 80mph, and I don't ride that fast all that often around here.
So I tried out the MTS, seemed like it would be a good match. The fairly upright seating position is great, especially better two-up. No problem with wind up to 80mph, I haven't really had it over that for any lenght of time. But I'm going to guess the ST or 907 would be a bit better for the over 80mph stuff.

The sound of the stock Multi isn't as good as a stock ST2, at least I dont' think so. I haven't heard the Termis, but I'm working on modding the stock setup to make it just a bit louder and better sounding. We'll seee what I get.

Take a test ride, I think you will really like it. I have the 'S' with the fancy suspension, I think it is worth the extra- very nice.
I wasn't too sure about the looks at first, but I've gotten to like it. I certainly get a lot of comments on it, none negative to this point. Everybody like the exhaust.

I'm using a small 25Litre Givi tailbox right now, it works pretty well. I have had my panniers on order since January when I bought the bike, but still no word on when I may actually get them.

mark

Al McEwan wrote:
What made all you guys buy the multi? How'd you get past the looks? .. I miss my 907ie, it just felt right and the sound was incredible. ..age is creeping into my back and shoulders.
davidjst

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2005 1:45 pm Reply with quote

I have a 749S and had been thinking of picking up a second bike that I could take an occasional passenger on that would be more comfortable on longer rides. As with many, I was initially turned off by the looks of the multi - just too darned strange looking for my sportbike taste; ugly even. Anyway.. decided to take one for a test ride one day to see what it was all about and as they say, "the rest is history."

I have had my 05 multi for a few weeks now and absolutely love the thing. I can't stop grinning from ear to ear inside my helmet every time I ride it. There are some things in life you love becuase they are gorgeous.. and others that are gorgeous because you love them. It must be the latter for me with this bike because I can no longer remember why I ever thought it was ugly.

Also, much to my surprise, I have had many people come up to me and say they love the way it looks. Had one person walk by as I was filling it up one day and blurt out "That bike is bad ass!". Go figure.

Go buy one. You will love it!

David
kenvvy
MTS: 2004 1000 DS (Red)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2005 2:02 pm Reply with quote

Hi Al,

I agree with what has been said - go ride one and see what happens. I was looking at a half dozen different bikes - the multi NOT being one of them. Then I saw one when I dropped a freind off at a bike shop and began to wonder.... I rode it and 8500 miles later, I still can't wipe the grin off my face. So to answer why buy a multistrada? Grin Factor! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
jbcaddy

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2005 7:14 pm Reply with quote

Hey Al, like the other have said, go for a ride on one. N.H. has one of the best dealers in the country, BCM is the name if I remember correctly. One ride is all it took for me. I'm 6'3, 225 with a back ravaged by years of construction work. When you are in the saddle, who cares what it looks like! I am not a track day/racer type, but I am enjoying the fact that I need a new front tire because the sides are worn out and there is still tread left down the middle. I just sold my KLR650, as it hasn't been ridden since i bought my multistrudle. pure grins! good luck, Jan
Alaskan

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 3:36 pm Reply with quote

Al McEwan wrote:
What made all you guys buy the multi? How'd you get past the looks?

The more I look at it the more I like it. Terblanche is a genius. I liked the angular styling of 999/749 Superbike right off, but the Multistrada initially looked bulbous to me. Now I am digging it.