Multistrada Wiki
  About us
 Login

Username:

Password:

Log me on automatically each visit

Problems signing in?

Register

Forum index -   Wanna buy: MTS as a touring bike?
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Yellow998
MTS: Not specified

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 3:03 am Reply with quote

I am thinking very hard about getting an MTS this year or next, and I was wondering what the consensus seems to be on the touring capabilities of the MTS? I have a 998 for racing, and would like to use the MTS to screw around town and take longer trips around the country. I've read several articles and reviews of the MTS that make it sound like one of the best sport-touring bikes around. Agree? Disagree? Is it more of a sportbike that can pass as a sport-tourer, or is it truly meant to be a touring bike? I'm sure this is old territory for this forum, so thanks for your input in advance.

Jason
NonoS4

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 6:12 am Reply with quote

For me, I don't think it's a pure touring bike, seats are not so good, wind protect can be better, and so on
It's an excellent bike if you have just one bike for sport touring, but if you ever have a 998 Cool and you want to travel far and longtime , I think you should choose a ST3, I tried one a few days ago, it's really a great touring bike
That's my advice
martins

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 6:32 am Reply with quote

A sports tourer for me, I carry the scars from touring on sports bike, MVF4, 749s and S4R, so last year I brought the MS, took it to Northern spain last month, my thoughts are that it is comfortable enough to walk stright at the end of the day, and sporty enough to have some fun-get one!

Rocker

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 6:45 am Reply with quote

For once I agree with Martins. After fitting the comfort seat ( not necessary if you have a 2005 model) the comfort screen and DP hard luggage I find the MS makes a good sports/tourer

MTS: 2003 1000 DS (Red)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 9:35 am Reply with quote

Rocker and Martins said it all. Fun, sport and touring are all capabilities of the Multi, just add, set-up and/or remove some things (luggage, suspension etc) and you'll be fine.

Doc

greenmanstunnel
MTS: 2006 620 Dark

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 11:55 am Reply with quote

Yellow,

I think the choice of bikes depends on how you ride and how much weight you carry. I bought a BMW R1100RT to tour, but I'm 140 pounds and never carry a passenger, so it turns out it's just too big and heavy. It's a great bike, though, and would be great for a heavier person with a passenger. I put a deposit on a Multi 620, and plan to use it for touring as well as all-around riding. I think it'll be perfect for my size.
rrichard

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 11:56 pm Reply with quote

For anyone who has sporting tendencies, the Multi makes a great touring bike, my only recommendation would be a Corbin seat.
I have done 300 mile days and was ready for more, the Corbin seat really gives great support. I have the big hard bags and made the mounting hardware easy to get on and off to keep the clean look when not in use.
tarzan
MTS: 2003 1000 DS (Red)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 7:23 am Reply with quote

Maybe its my arse but four hours is the comfort threshold, even with the comfort seat, and then I need a days rest. I wouldn't tour with my MTS...
Rocker

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 8:05 am Reply with quote

tarzan wrote:
Maybe its my arse but four hours is the comfort threshold, even with the comfort seat, and then I need a days rest. I wouldn't tour with my MTS...

I rode from Ashford Kent to Wigton in Cumbria stopping only for fuel and confort stops as I believe our American cousins refer to them with no problems and was still OK to go accross country to watch BSB at the Croft the following day.
I guess we all have different comfort thresholds

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 11:30 am Reply with quote

For my way of seen, multi is a great bike to ride everyware!

ofcource the first 1 or 2 years i wouldn't program trips over 4000km, to give the bike (and me) time for settings or improvements.

Cool

ps: i don't have good sence of easy riding and i respont to japs even after a 3 hours ride... Mr. Green
kjsides

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 2:36 pm Reply with quote

I rode my MS to Alaska from the San Francisco bay area last year and the bike proved to be an excellant tour bike. I did use a Airhawk seat cover even though I had the DP Comfort Rolling Eyes seat. I also have the DP hard bags and top box.

MTS: 2004 1000 DS (Red)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 2:40 pm Reply with quote

How far do you want to go? People have toured around the world on a Triumph Tiger, with no windshield, and an open faced helmet. (jupiters travels) People go cross county on scooters these days. Other people need a Gold Wing with a trailer to run to the store for a six pack. Some people camp, and need to carry camping gear, others motel it, so a change of clothes and a toothbrush is all they need. Do you plan on cross continent trips? or touring to the next state? You didn't say where your from, but if your in Europe, do you plan to travel within Europe? If you live in the US, you can possibley need a valve check on the road if your planning a cross country round trip.
I used to have a Honda ST1100, did trips to Canada, Colorado, Key West, Texas, etc., but now have a family and do more family vactions, so my touring consists of rallies and overnights within the Southeast. So I found the ST too heavy, and prefer a lighter bike, but still have luggage.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 2:56 pm Reply with quote

As seen in "Ride Reports", I did a ~2000mi/3000km AR-TX-return trip last month on a completely stock '04 MTS. This was over 5 riding days (1 weather-forced rest day) with the longest days a couple of 8-9 hour, 500mi/800km days. I only weigh about 145# and find the ergonomics & stock seat bearable for this kind of thing, no recuperation time when it was over. The '05s should be even better. With the fairly high gearing and OK wind protection (I'm short from the waist up), high speed touring is quite effortless compared to my '98 BMW F650ST. Gas mileage is comparable to my 650 if you don't get too carried away with the right hand! The Ducati panniers worked great and suit the esthetics of the bike, I think.
jkramer

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 3:37 pm Reply with quote

I use my MS for touring, in fact I plan to ride it from Seattle to Laguna this year for the MotoGP event. I think others pointed out the 3 areas for improvement: seat - I replaced the stock seat with a Corbin; windscreen - if you have an 03 or 04, install the taller windscreen, the 05 comes with the taller screen. Hardbags - these are not too easy to find as the original mfg. went out of business. Check around to see if any dealers have some in inventory.

I previously have owned an ST2 and and ST4s. I find the MS to be as capable for touring as either of my previous sport-touring bikes and a helluva lot more fun.
dryphtr

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2005 7:03 am Reply with quote

Most of the touring in this thread seems to be solo. What about carrying a normal sized passenger? The pillion seems rather short front-to-back and the grab rail is close in. Anyone done a couple hundred miles two-up?

'04 ST4s ABS (Sold)
'04 Multistrada (Sold)