Password:

Log me on automatically each visit

Problems signing in?

Register

Forum index -   Wanna buy: New to list, I want a Multistrada
ScottRNelson
MTS: Not specified

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2003 3:40 pm Reply with quote

I just thought I would introduce myself. My user name and real name are the same, since I don't see the point of hiding behind a pseudonym. I live in Northern California and have been hooked on Ducati motorcycles since 1997.

I've been riding an M900 Monster for the past six years, but have wanted a Multistrada ever since I first read about them. I'm not currently in a financial position to pay $13,500 (OTD) for a new bike, so I have to stick with the older ones for a while. (Still recovering from 8 months out of work a couple of years ago.) I recently wrecked the Monster, which looked like a good opportunity to go ahead and get the Multistrada, but my financial advisor (a.k.a., wife) informed me that even with the insurance money we were still about $7000 short. Sad

So I bought a used ST2 and plan to ride that until my financial situation improves a bit. I'm hoping that by following this board I'll remain enthusiastic about the Multistrada and will learn enough about the bike that I won't have a million questions once I get one, as was the case with the Monster.

I'll go back to lurk mode now.

Hans Wurst
MTS: 2003 1000 DS (Red)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2003 4:55 pm Reply with quote

Hi Scott!
not too much to say right now except that I like that one a lot:

"I may grow older, but I refuse to grow up"

nice lurkin'
HW
Lutz

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2003 5:16 pm Reply with quote

Hi Scott,
nice to meet you here in that forum.
Lutz
Multibound

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2003 5:53 pm Reply with quote

Welcome Scott. I too have been lurking for a while then began conversing with the folks on the board. I had my doubts when the MS was introduced, but once i test rode it a few times, i was sold. Mine is on order and will arrive in early March. Thank god its winter time.. Hope your financial situation works out for ya.

aka.
Arthur

jinx

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2003 7:56 pm Reply with quote

Great to see you here Scott!...we chatted a few times on DML. Like you, I found myself removed from the monster unexpectedly. My reasons were mechanical in nature however. I decided I was tired of buying used bikes (and problems) and after some serious number crunching I planned to go new. Funny thing is, I was all set to go down and pick out a brand new monster. Brought the lady with me so she could take the car home...(I wasn't leaving with out a bike!) Knowing the monsters well as I've owned 2, and several friends also own them, the test ride was "as expected"...the only real difference was the virginess of the thing, all new, pure, and the weak sound from the stock exhaust etc etc. As I came back in the door the sales guy said, you should take the demo MTS's out for grins. It's a kick in the pants they said. Hey, you don't have to ask me twice to test ride ANY Ducati. So as I put my helmet back on to go, they said, here's a helmet for the lady take her too. "We would like to get some 2up feedback, take it into the hills!" (we're in Colorado) This on a beautiful Saturday....insane. Not only did I have one of the most enjoyable 2 hour rides, my fiancée did too!! She loved the thing! She was all talking about getting the luggage for it and taking it on weekend trips!! She had never to that point taken any real interest in my motorcycling "problem", so this was huge. I was sold.

The performance of the stock bike coming from a M900/full termi PCIII etc...felt on par with a bit more torque and comfort to spare. Fine by me. But the weird thing is that visually it combined all the favorite aspects of my previous bikes. It has the single side swing arm of my speed triple, the exposed "naked" engine of my monster, the quarter fairing and red paint job of my 91 750SS, not to mention the under tail exhaust of the 748 I always wanted. That's all personal opinion though.

I digress...and ramble...again Scott, great to see you!
jinx
drduc

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2003 11:23 pm Reply with quote

I too have been lurking and want a Multistrada. I have a cousin who is big into cycles and has been steering me in the two wheeled ways. My dealer just sent me an email about a black MTS that just rolled in and I plan to look at it ASAP as I have only had a look at a stop light. Do I have any negotiating power with regard to price, or do I need to just lay down my deposit before this baby is gone? I am here in FL and don't see a whole lot of Ducs on the road. Any feed back for a newbie is appreciated.
CoastalRider
MTS: 2003 1000 DS (Red)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2003 4:23 am Reply with quote

Dr. Duc: I doubt the price is negoitiable, but perhaps you can get a discount on the financing, scheduled maintenance, or accessories. Perhaps the destination and dealer prep charges are negotiable. BTW, if you can get your hands on a 2003 MTS, you get zero percent financing. Also be aware all bikes will increase by $500 beginning January 1, 2004.

I bought mine 2 weeks ago and paid the list price of $11,495. I got zero percent financing, so I didn't even ask for a discount off of the list. I paid about $500 for dealer prep/destination. I bought a helmet, leather jacket, boots, gloves, and bike bag. The dealer gave me a 15% discount on these accessories, and I didn't even ask. I was able to finance all accessories at zero percent, also. I did place a 10% down payment.

Since the dealer will perform maintenance on my bike, and may need to fight Ducati for me in the event of a warranty claim, I'm inclined to let him earn a reasonable profit in return for a long-term relationship. Since safety is more of an issue with a m/c than a car, I also want to have a friendly environment. If this were a one-time purchase, and no future maintenance was involved, I might be inclined to ask for his best deal.

Good luck,

Tom
San Diego, California

P.S.: People absolutely love my red Multistrada here in Southern California. Smiles everywhere. The attention is almost overwhelming.
drduc

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2003 3:16 pm Reply with quote

CoastalRider-Thanks for the tips...they put things into perspective. I go today to look at a black 2004 MTS-and with any luck I'll be posting quite a bit more in the future. Very Happy