Multistrada Wiki
  About us
 Login

Username:

Password:

Log me on automatically each visit

Problems signing in?

Register

Forum index -   Wanna buy: Not so sure about my S4R........
Goto page 1, 2  Next
gasgaseffinfast
MTS: Not specified

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2005 12:42 pm Reply with quote

Hello all - usually I lurk. I traded an older Ducati for a 2005 S4R plus some cash - could have had a 2004 silver multi plus a little more cash but I wanted the 4 valve motor and the bike was newer and it was.....red!

The S4R is a beast, amazing power, but (I never thought I'd hear myself saying this) it's almost too much for the street. It's nearly impossible to keep the bike below 70mph, largely because of the gearing, it just doesn't feel balanced until you're around 5 grand on the tach, at which point in even 2nd gear, you are flying.

It is a hugely aggressive motorcycle - it really is a superbike without bodywork very involving. The multi appealed to me because it just seems like a nice, versatile ride, it's different, but when I sat on it, it had the most perfect riding position i've ever felt on any bike. It seems like the type of bike that you could ride all day. The S4R is a bike that you have to ride hard and aggressively or it just bucks and protests.

I have about 250 miles on my S4R, and it is largely stock. I'm wondering whether I should modify it to make it work a bit better, or just sell/trade it to cut my losses and get an 05 multi. I'd lose money doing this but 'm thinking the multi just might be a better "riding" bike than the S4R, which seems like it's just going to eat my license.

Anybody have an opinion (hopefully based on experience?)

Thanks! Jim
Tee-Dub

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2005 1:01 pm Reply with quote

Sounds similar to the Multi in two areas. The motor on the multi is happiest at about 5k rpm too. And, like most Ducatis, the Multi is geared too high from the factory too. Put a new countersprocket on that is one tooth smaller and it will help.

How about selling the S4R and getting a used Multi? They should be worth about the same amount of cash I'd think.

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2005 1:07 pm Reply with quote

Hello Jim,

It will be worth trying a lighter flywheel and dropping a teeth or two on the front sprocket on your S4R - it makes the bike easier to ride at lower revs, but, have to say, also unleashes the desmo devils easier when at pace. Still, for little money you can have more flexability at lower revs and a more friendly city bike.

Laurentius,

PS - had a ride on the S4R a month or so back - you are right - it demands, no begs, to be riden hard with full commitment - I loved it!
gasgaseffinfast

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2005 1:08 pm Reply with quote

Tee-Dub wrote:
Sounds similar to the Multi in two areas. The motor on the multi is happiest at about 5k rpm too. And, like most Ducatis, the Multi is geared too high from the factory too. Put a new countersprocket on that is one tooth smaller and it will help.

How about selling the S4R and getting a used Multi? They should be worth about the same amount of cash I'd think.

Well, gee, I hope not, the S4R is an 05 and it's more money new than a multi. Used 2004 S4Rs go for around 11 and I see 04 Multis going for 9 every day of the week.

I think the s4r's problem is being geared too low, not too high. It has a 42 tooth sprocket on her. I guess you meant to say one tooth larger (larger = shorter gearing for more acceleration, going one tooth smaller will decrease acceleration and increase top speed).
gasgaseffinfast

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2005 1:11 pm Reply with quote

laurentius wrote:
Hello Jim,

It will be worth trying a lighter flywheel and dropping a teeth or two on the front sprocket on your S4R - it makes the bike easier to ride at lower revs, but, have to say, also unleashes the desmo devils easier when at pace. Still, for little money you can have more flexability at lower revs and a more friendly city bike.

Laurentius,

PS - had a ride on the S4R a month or so back - you are right - it demands, no begs, to be riden hard with full commitment - I loved it!

It's funny, I have a KTM 950 Adventure also, which I bought instead of a multi. I know I will own this bike at some point! The KTM is a beasty too, pretty good urban survival vehicle.

Tough part of having a bike that demands to be ridden hard is the police who demand you ride it like a grany - that's how it is here on Long Island!
doctor_john

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2005 2:39 pm Reply with quote

the S4R is a beautifull naked bike, just like the most of you describe it...

it also has the same (or a bit higher) price than the multi.. (at least here in Greece)

so, if you find it raugh for your needs, i recoment you to give it back to the dealer (your bike is new!) and buy a multi or a S2R (beautifull motorcycle for people who knows what they want)

but PLEASE, DEMAND a test ride first!

Cool
Tee-Dub

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2005 3:39 pm Reply with quote

I wondered what you were talking about when you said you bought the S4R with your trade and a little money and the Multi would have taken a little "more" money.

As to the sprocket, you are wrong. I'm not talking about the sprocket at the wheel. I'm talking about the countersprocket, the one off the transmission. This is the least expensive way to change your gearing. And, yes, dropping one tooth on the countersprocket will indeed make your gearing steeper.

MTS: 2004 1000 DS (Red)

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2005 6:14 pm Reply with quote

Sounds like you aren't really sure of what you want the bike to do for you -- or maybe I just didn't understand it all. You bring up two very different issues. One is solvable the other less so. The first is where the power is on the motor. As people have said, drop a tooth in the front and that is a cheap easy way to see if you can tame that one. The other is overall ergonomics. That one is tough. You can spend a lot of money on seat mods, handlebar adjustments, rear-sets and still not be happy. The tricky thing is it sneaks up on you. At first you think, oh just get some rear-sets and everything will be great (ping! $500) then you want your handlebars moved (fully adjustable TBR $400).

So you really have to decide what you are after and how much you want to spent on it.

MTS: 2005 1000S DS (Red)

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2005 12:58 am Reply with quote

I sold my ST2 and bought the Multi because I felt the ST liked going fast, and the MTS liked it anywhere (Ok, the ST is better over about 80mph).
The MTS is great all the way down to those slow 15mph roads. I really liked the ST, but it liked going faster speeds and I seldom do much over 80mph these days where I ride. I found it the MTS was a lot better all around bike for the type of use I am doing. WAY more comfortable at lower speeds too. (I have a 2005 'S', so the seat is actually ok also).

mark

gasgaseffinfast wrote:
The S4R is a beast, amazing power, but (I never thought I'd hear myself saying this) it's almost too much for the street. It's nearly impossible to keep the bike below 70mph, largely because of the gearing, it just doesn't feel balanced until you're around 5 grand on the tach, at which point in even 2nd gear, you are flying.

Thanks! Jim
gasgaseffinfast

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2005 12:56 pm Reply with quote

Tee-Dub wrote:
I wondered what you were talking about when you said you bought the S4R with your trade and a little money and the Multi would have taken a little "more" money.

As to the sprocket, you are wrong. I'm not talking about the sprocket at the wheel. I'm talking about the countersprocket, the one off the transmission. This is the least expensive way to change your gearing. And, yes, dropping one tooth on the countersprocket will indeed make your gearing steeper.

aahh yes thought you were talking about the rear sprocket as your original message wasn't specific. guess neither one of us was "wrong"! thanks for the feedback.
gasgaseffinfast

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2005 1:08 pm Reply with quote

[quote="lotus54"]I sold my ST2 and bought the Multi because I felt the ST liked going fast, and the MTS liked it anywhere (Ok, the ST is better over about 80mph).
The MTS is great all the way down to those slow 15mph roads. I really liked the ST, but it liked going faster speeds and I seldom do much over 80mph these days where I ride. I found it the MTS was a lot better all around bike for the type of use I am doing. WAY more comfortable at lower speeds too. (I have a 2005 'S', so the seat is actually ok also).

mark

Well, I test rode a 2004 base model multi yesterday for about 75 miles. what a great bike, so much better for the street than the S4R. It is so nice how you can just put along on this bike if you like, have a nice relaxed ride, then crank it up if you want to go fast. I rode the bike much harder than I have ridden the S4R almost immediately. So I decided I want a multi s.

I rode the S4R to the dealer and was convinced I'd be trading it for the Multi. Then the dealer offered me (K for it - mind you it has 200 miles on it and is an 05, so it was a nice 4 grand hit for the 200 miles I rode it. So I told him I'd think about it, and rode the S4R home.

I guess I was in a wtf mood and just rode the S4R harder, and it was really amusing. Way more power right off the bottom than the multi. Truly, these are two completely different bikes, they could almost be from 2 different manufacturers - the multi is so smooth and the controls so sophisticated, it could be a Japanese bike. The S4R feels like traditional/pre-Terblanche Ducati with a freshen up, it smells and is rough and loud. In a good way!

So I got home and looked at my KTM 950 Adventure, the huge beast, with tubed tires, and no respectable dealers within 2 hours from my house. I struggle to get on and off this bike every time I ride it, even with a lowered seat (30 inch inseam). It's orange, gorgeous, and has tons of extras, but to be honest, the multi is a better streetbike.

The S4R is a total hotrod - it's for those "Mr. Hyde" days. And to my eyes, it's the best looking current Ducati. So what to do?

I ordered the Multi S and put the KTM up for sale on advrider.com!

Thanks all, looking forward to being an official member of the family.

Jim
doctor_john

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2005 1:50 pm Reply with quote

it's the first time in my life that i feel the need of medication to relax! Whistle

i wish you a fair trade and a multi that fit your needs

Cool
kneepuck
MTS: 2004 1000 DS (Red)

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2005 3:39 pm Reply with quote

Congrats!! Sounds like you made a perfect choice.

MTS: 2005 1000S DS (Red)

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2005 4:18 pm Reply with quote

I was considering the KTM 950 before I bought the MTS. Much better off road, from what I hear, the MTS really isn't made for off road, although certainly handles gravel roads very well.
Sounds like a good choice to me, especially if you feel better on the MTS than the KTM.
You can still keep a bit of KTM if you like, I have KTM handguards on my MTS, I liked them better and they were cheaper than the Ducati ones.
(I have some photos in the photo section with part numbers.

Mark

gasgaseffinfast wrote:
mark,

Well, I test rode a 2004 base model multi yesterday for about 75 miles. what a great bike, so much better for the street than the S4R. It is so nice how you can just put along on this bike if you like, have a nice relaxed ride, then crank it up if you want to go fast. I rode the bike much harder than I have ridden the S4R almost immediately. So I decided I want a multi s.
So I got home and looked at my KTM 950 Adventure, the huge beast, with tubed tires, and no respectable dealers within 2 hours from my house. I struggle to get on and off this bike every time I ride it, even with a lowered seat (30 inch inseam). It's orange, gorgeous, and has tons of extras, but to be honest, the multi is a better streetbike.

Jim
dialysis

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2005 1:33 am Reply with quote

if you can afford it, everyone should have 2 bikes Mr. Green