Log me on automatically each visit

Problems signing in?

Register

Forum index -   Wanna buy: HELP ME ! 2004 1000ds
Lonestar
No Multistrada

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 1:47 pm Reply with quote

Hi everyone !

First post here ; ) Anyway I need a little guidence please. I am brand new to the motorbike world. I am no stranger to speed and have been wanting a Ducati for a while now. I have mostly been looking at early 2000 Monster 620 or 750.....But...I have found a black 2004 Multi that appears to be in great shape for $2000. I was susspicious of the price untill I found out hes in the Army and has been mobolized for Afghanistan so he needs it gone fast !

I love how the bike looks with the single sided swingarm but im indiffernt about the front fairing with the windsheild...I like the naked monster look better. But the price seems damn good. I have found on line people modding their Multi to a more street fighter look which I like, but im guess thats major $$$$$

Anyway, any thoughts ? Thanks

Think
lotus54
MTS: 2005 1000S DS (Red)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 1:57 pm Reply with quote

If you can do the work yourself, modding to a more 'naked' look doesn't have to cost a lot. But can be a lot of work, depending on what you are going for.
Ii did some fairly major mods on the rear of mine (front maybe this winter).

I'd take it to a good shop that knows Ducatis well and pay for a checkout. If the valve guides are worn or something it can be an expensive fix, unless you can do it yourself.

mark

Last edited by lotus54 on Mon Nov 01, 2010 11:50 am; edited 2 times in total

Beta XTrainer 300
Lonestar
No Multistrada

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 5:55 pm Reply with quote

cool thanks, forgot to mention but it has about 6000 miles on the clock. To me this seems low. Can things be worn at this stage ? If everything works out does this seem like a good price ? Thanks
cagiva900gc
MTS: 2004 1000 DS (Red)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 6:30 pm Reply with quote

Lonestar wrote:
cool thanks, forgot to mention but it has about 6000 miles on the clock. To me this seems low. Can things be worn at this stage ? If everything works out does this seem like a good price ? Thanks

From what you are saying, this sounds like a really good deal. As long as it has a clear title, you have both keys, red key, card etc I think it should be fine. 6000mi is nothing for that engine.

If it all checks out, you will have yourself the best $2000 bike ever.
falcofred
MTS: 2010 1200S (Red)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 9:17 pm Reply with quote

Ok, 6,000 miles is the interval for the valve lash check and oil change. This will cost you $400-$500.
04 was the first year, I just traded mine in at 40,000 miles on a new 2010 model.
Things to know about the 2004 Model.
1. The stock seat sucks, in 05 they made the optional comfort seat standard. I bought a slightly used Saraget seat off someone on this site.
2. The stock 04 mirrors suck, in 05 the widened the mirrors, I went with bar end mirrors, and installed small turn signal lights on the fairing.
3. The stock side stand will NOT hold the bike upright with any luggage installed. Ducati replaced the 04 design with an updated 05 design under warranty. Make sure your bike has the 05 upgrade which includes side stand, bracket and safety switch.
4. Some 04 bikes had valve guide issues, It was explained to me that it wasn't defective guides, but valve lash set too tight at the factory causing wear. Be sure to have a good Ducati dealership check it out.
5. The oil cooler lines were subject to a recall, I never had any leaks, but I guess some lines were defective, just check and see if the recall was done.

I rode my 04 for 5 seasons, great bike, light as a sport bike, yet comfortable, with the luggage I was able to do overnight trips, with an aftermarket Hepco-Becker rack I could carry my tent and sleeping bag to go camping. With the low miles on this one, be sure to get the service, change your clutch and brake fluid (I change mine anually), and remove the clutch cover to blow out accumulated dust on a regualar schedule.

MTS: 2006 1000 DS (Red)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 12:51 pm Reply with quote

Make sure you look this gift horse in the mouth.....that is, check it over very carefully. There is a reason why the price is so low and it probably is not just the upcoming deployment.

You need to understand that the Multistrada will require a bit more maintenance than your typical Japanese bike. You can do much of the maintenance yourself if you have basic mechanical skills and a few specialized parts. If you go the DIY route you will need a manual , crank turning tool, shim set, rear stand, sockets for front and rear wheels (three sockets), and maybe the TechnoResearch VDST software. All these items can be found at www.desmotimes.com. I'm assuming that you already have the metric tools and two torque wrenches. If you do not go the DIY route you can anticipate at least $1000 for the 12K service, probably more.

There is a similarity between motorcycles and boats. Sometimes the price is too high even if the boat is free.

With all that said, you could probably get your $2K back by parting out the bike.

Good luck,
Peter Y.
keener
MTS: 2005 1000S DS (Black)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 1:27 pm Reply with quote

$2000 Shocked seems pretty cheap for nearly any bike much less an 04 Multi 1000... however it just could be the deal of the year so....
get her checked out by a shop or a person that is familar with Multis/Ducatis ... be careful out there Wink

74 Z1 900
98 1200 Bandit
2015 Kawasaki Verses 1000
turbodude
MTS: 2005 1000S DS (Black)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 2:54 pm Reply with quote

Get it checked out by someone knowledgeable with ducati's. If it checks out buy it regardless if it's what you want, ride it for a while then sell for a profit. As long as it's in decent shape, thats a smokin price.

MTS: 2007 1100S (Custom colour)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 5:59 pm Reply with quote

I suspect this is some kind of scam, why would someone try to sell 5K bike for 2K? Be extremely cautious.

D.

12 Multistrada 1200 Pikes Peak - Commute, Adventure, Light Dirt, Track, Fun

08 Multistrada 1100S - Scrambler / Supermoto project

05 Honda CRF450X - Real dirt fun
klavdy
No Multistrada

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 9:04 am Reply with quote

Hmmm, wonder how that worked out?
Smelled a bit.
SpeedwayRN
MTS: Not specified

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 11:18 am Reply with quote

Dont know but there would easily be 2k or more in parts there. So if nothing else it would have been a good parts bike.

2007 Moto Guzzi Breva 1100- Antonio - died a traumatic death!
2006 MV Agusta 910s-Ginger Is missed dearly! God Bless Mossimo Tamburini
1975 Honda CB750
orvieto
MTS: 2006 1000S DS (Red)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 3:51 pm Reply with quote

I bet it is scam. Make sure to see the bike first. Don't send anything before you see it!!! I bet you found it in Craig.

Again DON'T SEND ANYTHING BEFORE YOU SEE THE BIKE!!!!!

Motodisiac wrote:
I suspect this is some kind of scam, why would someone try to sell 5K bike for 2K? Be extremely cautious.

D.