Log me on automatically each visit

Problems signing in?

Register

Forum index -   Wanna buy: Looking for pre-purchase opinions/advice
Goto page 1, 2  Next
jazz
No Multistrada

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 7:02 pm Reply with quote

I'm going to be checking out an '07 tomorrow. Bike has 15K, speedometer was replaced under warranty for EURO issue at 10K miles so it's only showing 5K, tank was replaced under warranty, 15K service has been done. Bike looks very clean from photos and is stock except for Moto Lites mounted on the calipers and Sargent seat. Owner has maintenance records and bike has extended warranty until July 2012. This would be my first Ducati, a long time object of my bike lust. I'm not afraid of quirkiness, just sold a beautiful Moto Guzzi and now fairly well addicted to twins of Italian heritage. The asking price for the bike is very reasonable which is typical this time of year.

Are there any things I should look for in particular? Is it normal that the replaced speedometer shows only the mileage since it's installation rather than some mileage figure that may be stored in the bikes computer? I've got a lot of questions but just looking for some basic information and gut reaction from current or past owners. Thanks in advance for your help.

Cheers-
Jazz
jrbourke
MTS: 2005 1000S DS (Red)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 7:18 pm Reply with quote

Jazz,
The "dash" is what you are referring to when you say Speedo, I assume. If so, that is the computer where the mileage is stored so if it was replaced there will be a difference. Some dashes were also replaced for water intrusion and fogging. That happens if the bike is washed improperly or it gets caught out in the heavy rain. Most of us put a large zip-loc over the dash before bathing. I would do a quick read of the topics on the "Problem Area" of the forums and get a feel for what is common. 07's and up have less issues than the earlier ones, mostly because of a design oversight that folks perceived as a problem: fuel low light illumination at 1/2 tank. It was designed that way but everyone griped so the later models sort of fixed the problem. The fix, however is not retroactive.
Jon

jazz
No Multistrada

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 7:28 pm Reply with quote

Thanks Jon - yes of course I mean the dash. I've researched the bike pretty thoroughly but you know how it is; there's always some insider stuff that slips between the mainstream cracks. The seller seems like a genuine person which eases my mind a great deal. I will check out the "Problems Area" as you suggested. Wish me luck!

Jazz
zookiman
MTS: 2006 1000 DS (Red)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 1:13 am Reply with quote

Just turned 113000 miles or 181856 km on my 06 Multi. Bought new in 07. I haven't changed a thing on it. AMS Ducati replaced tank and dash and other than that it has been flawless. I ran Motul 300v factory line for 70k miles then Castrol R44t to 100k now I'm back to Motul. I learned to do my own maintenance. Easy, no voodoo magic. Watched DucatiTech YouTube videos on setting valves and replacing belts. This is my first Duc and I'm very impressed. I'm a little bummed out they discontinued the air-cooled Multi but maybe Ducati will give us a touring HyperMotard like KTM 990sm. My son was so impressed he found a used 08 and loves it. So get it!
EMSDuc.com for OEM type shims
Ca-CycleWorks for belts chain clutch plates etc
Cycle Gear for oil and filters
AMS Ducati for everything else
jazz
No Multistrada

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 2:29 am Reply with quote

Hey zookiman -Thanks for the encouraging words. Great to hear those things! Dance
Humblebub
MTS: 2007 1100 (Red)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 7:34 am Reply with quote

My 07 Multi just turned over 30 K KM and has been flawless. Great bike and still makes me grin. IMHO a Fatduc is the only required improvement for the many reasons quoted in various places on this forum.

Craig
jazz
No Multistrada

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 9:19 pm Reply with quote

Here is my dilemma - There is also a fully loaded '98 R1100GS that I'd love to have. Have been wanting a bike with a little off-road capability for a long time. Parts are easily found for the big GS, the Multi well, is the opposite. The GS is remarkably only about $600 less expensive in the asking price. Someone talk me out of the GS or rather, talk me out of the Multi. I'm open to both arguments. Think
zookiman
MTS: 2006 1000 DS (Red)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 12:24 am Reply with quote

Multi vs GS. Well I looked at the GS before I settled on the Duc. I chose the Multi because it's narrow lite and just shy of sexy. The majority of my riding is street and every time I ride off road I manage to get a flat. The Multi will do all the off roading I want and has. I can ride the pasture looking for wayward cattle and then burn up the rough back roads to work. I never understood the funky front suspension on the BMW and inline 4s are narrower than the boxer. I read Ewine McGregor's Long Way Around and it seemed they had heck with the heavy GS. So I reckon it boils down to what you wanna do with it. If ya want a jeep get the GS. If ya wanna finicky sexy bitch with 100 grins per hour then go fer the Duc. I have no regrets on my decision but I still look at the Beemers when I go scooter shopping. Wish I could afford a Guzzi, GS and my Multi all in the same stable.  
jrbourke

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 12:48 am Reply with quote

The multi is lighter, more lithe, handles like fly-by-wire...
The GS is like a thick-necked German Wench resting a large keg of lager on her two opposing grotesque boobs, willing to listen to her "master"and serve a stein like a good teutonic personality-less indentured servant. Like a female version of Lurch...(You rang?)obedient and reliable, just no Elan.
The Ducati crowd has pizzaz... panache... flair for style... not afraid to say "Hey, I am here! Want to Play?"
The BMW crowd has....mmm..senior-ity-ness...willingness to fall in to a Goosestep with their select brethren, as long as they are all wearing the same BMW garb and drink the same beer(must be Reinheitsgebot).
The mood in a Ducati shop is cheerful and upbeat because there is always some Ducati sponsored unveiling events just around the corner that have beautiful girls(and guys sometimes) dressed in Ducati bikinis.
The mood in a BMW shop is somber and serious, probably because of the depressing price of all their accessories and service, and the knowledge of the fact that BMW has no such events to look forward to but rather some seminar put on by a boring-as-shit rep droning on about the braking system's artificial intelligence capabilities that learn your driving, eating, defecating and ejaculating habits, then optimizes itself to make your experiences safer from yourself.
The Ducati engine snarls and rips with an eagerness... like a coked out nymphomaniac looking for more speed;"faster!faster!Faster! OOHHHHHYYYEEEEEAAAHHHH........"
The Boxer engine farts with displeasure at you demand it to go, buzzing your hands to let you know that it is following your orders but not happy about it. It obeys, but as soon as you no longer want it to, quickly settles back in to couch-potato mode, a low and lifeless perfectly controlled semi silent idle; a gas powered electric motor; a strong eunich with no ambition or emotion.
The feeling you have when you finish riding the Ducati is one of eager expectation to do it again and again... to rearrange your calendar to allow for more riding time; reschedule your wife's first delivery because the weather is supposed to be perfect that week and you just cannot miss the last ride of the season.
The feeling you have after finishing a ride on the BMW is also eager expectation, but it is for the next visit to the Ducati dealer to test ride the Multi again.
Jon

Last edited by jrbourke on Fri Oct 29, 2010 2:07 am; edited 1 time in total

jazz
No Multistrada

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 1:37 am Reply with quote

Jeezus H Jon! Don't mince your words for crying out loud. No reason to tip-toe around how you really feel. If you don't write for a bike mag, you ought to. I know the truth lies somewhere in the middle of all that. I wouldn't really be interested in hanging out with either crowd, just not my thing and I can't afford either marque's clothing - well maybe I could swing a pair of red speedo grape smugglers Shocked
I'm going to see the Multi early tomorrow. It's 100 miles from home and it's going to be cold. Yet, if it's irresistibly nice I'll put the thermal liners in my gear and drive it home.
jrbourke

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 1:58 am Reply with quote

Yeah I jus thought I would have a little fun with the subject!
Seriously though, on your test ride, check to make sure the tires are proper lbs and let them warm up well before allowing the bike to guide you around the corners, and see if you can block off part of the oil cooler to let the oil temp run around 190c that way the ECU gets on the running MAP; below that it is in warm up MAP. Would hate to see the cold weather spoil your first impression.

jazz
No Multistrada

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 2:15 am Reply with quote

Would allowing it to idle a bit, relatively indoors (open garage), let it get up to proper temps or would it just go back down once under way. The bike is at a suburban Milwaukee Duc dealership and I'm pretty sure the test ride will be very limited in scope. I doubt I will be able to put it through any serious paces but ya never know, sometimes riding in the burbs can be a white-knuckle affair. Will definitely check tire pressure before rolling. I'll post my findings here later tomorrow.
48 years old
20+ years of riding
13 different bikes
The thrill of riding my first Ducati...priceless

Jazz
jrbourke

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 2:31 am Reply with quote

If you do any faster highway segments it will probably drop down below running MAP if the outside temp is lower than 60+/-F. A quick section of clear packing tape across one of the nostrils will help. We who ride in some cold have more elegant solutions than that, though. If it is going to be stop and go you should be fine, but it would be a shame to not get on to some freeway segment with some larger sweepers. If it is the S model with the Ohlins, you should be fairly convinced that you need not go any further in your debate and just return with your checkbook out.
Jon

jazz
No Multistrada

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 11:26 am Reply with quote

Yup, if it were the S model, there would not be any discussion - done deal but alas, it's the standard model. On my way to the bank in 30 minutes. Cash is king!!!
jazz
No Multistrada

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 10:07 pm Reply with quote

The deed is done Dance