Problems signing in?

Register

Forum index -   Wanna buy: Multistrada 1200S for new rider
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
cormorantFE
No Multistrada

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 12:57 pm Reply with quote

Hey all,
The wife and I have decided to finally get our bike licences in summer of 2011. We both have ZERO experience riding but love to travel and thought this would be the best way to see Canada. We see tons of bikes on the road in Newfoundland where we live.
Anyways, I have been doing tons of research on the bike I/we want and settled on a dualsport type. I then discovered the Multistrada 1200S Touring version. Looks and sounds amazing.
As a 1st time bike buyer I spoke to lots of friends who ride and who tell me to buy something smaller and easier to handle to start and then trade up, However, they say I may be ready to trade up within a few months.
I then thought maybe we could purchase a smaller/easier bike to learn on, like the Suzuki Vstrom 650. Once I got profficient on this I would pass this on to the wife and move up to something better.
My main question is: Is the Multistrada too much for a first time or beginner rider? I know everyone is different and this may be hard to answer, but think back to the days when you first started to ride and let me know what you think.
Cheers.
miloVanMultistrada
MTS: 2008 1100S (Red)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 1:06 pm Reply with quote

I would get yourself a 2nd hand Multistrada 620, then move on to the 1200S when you have some experience under your belt.

Just about any bike is much faster than most cars, and it takes a while to get your brain used to the acceleration / deceleration and different cornering technique.

You will also most likely have a few "oooops, I lost my balance" type low speed incidents where you drop or nearly drop the bike and doing this with an older, less expensive to repair bike will hurt your wallet and your ego less than a shiny new bike.

Just my 2p.
Humblebub
MTS: 2007 1100 (Red)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 1:13 pm Reply with quote

Envy mode on for your beautiful province! As someone who has ridden over 50 years, you tested me with the challenge to remember when I first started riding. Everyone is different, but my general response to any new rider is go small and go slow. It is very hard to go slow on a Multi and the 1200 in particular. I have a 1100 Multi and it is a wonderful fun machine - love everything about it. I would not let a new rider ride it. I spent an hour on the new 1200. Absolutely awesome machine in every way. Comfortable, gut wrenching fast and handles like it is on rails. It is a lot of machine for a new rider. I also won't let a new rider on my R1200 RT either. However, my little 250 Super Sherpa (which I will be riding in your province next Summer) is a perfect bike to get used to riding. Great little motorcycle that can maintain the speed limit, can go just about anywhere I want to go, easy (cheap) to maintain and will not get me in trouble. When I fall over (and I do - as will you at some point), I can push it off, laugh and carry on.

If I was talking to one of my close friends I would say get a small bike for the first season, get used to it and the morons in the cars that try to kill us. Then get your touring bike and see Canada.

Just one perspective from this side of the water that separates us.

Cheers
Craig
Dangerous Dave
MTS: 2010 1200S (White)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:41 pm Reply with quote

I think the conventional wisdom here is that the 1200 multi is a lot of bike for a new rider. I think the 650 Vstrom would be perfect for what you want, and you could keep it for a long time, not just a few months.

That being said, with good training, conservative riding and some common sense, there is no absolute reason that you couldn't have any bike as your first. The real issue here is having fun and seeing some beautiful country - and if you haven't had a bike before, any bike will do. Riding a big, expensive and powerful bike can be intimidating for the inexperienced rider - which makes riding not much fun.

And you will drop your first bike, maybe just once - but probably more.

The draw of the new and shiny is strong - so be safe and good luck.
cormorantFE
No Multistrada

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 3:39 pm Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies. They do help.
I just googled the Multi 620 and it fits the bill, plus I think I like styling better than the VStrom. Any idea what the costs are for aa good 2nd hand?
NL is a great place. Just got posted here 3 months ago with the Air Force. we have done some hiking and camping and the scenary takes your breath away. I fly on choppers for a living and get to see all the back woods areas from the air. I was surprised at the amount of trails that criss-cross the province and lead to areas you can't access by car.
Since we don't have the coin to get 2 ATV's and 2 bikes, I thought a dual purpose bike would fit the bill perfectly, and allow for the longer road trips to Ontario for family visits.
If you do visit the Rock, a trip to Fogo Island is a must, and you have to eat at Nicole's cafe. Amazing local food and good wine. Great dining in an amazing out of the way place.
I'll keep researching over the winter and make final decision by early next summer.
Any other views are appreciated.
Cheers
Moronic
No Multistrada

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 8:02 am Reply with quote

If you fly helicopters for a living, you can probably answer your own question very well with a bit of reflection.

I've never flown any sort of aircraft but I am guessing helicopters vary in their ease of flying and in their performance, with the most high performing often the most challenging to keep out of trouble.

So what sort of chopper would you recommend for a novice pilot, and why? Think
x-man12345
MTS: 2005 1000S DS (Red)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 8:39 am Reply with quote

Hello from Cornwall UK.
Good to hear from Newfoundland. My wife is originally from Bonavista and we have a cabin on Terra Nova lake, which is not that far from you. I love NL as well, great place, great people, great food. Top place for fishing.
As to the 1200, its a lot of bike. I have had a few bikes, now have a 1992 Ducati 750 SS (up for sale) and a 2005 Multi 1000S DS. The Multi is the best bike I have ever owned. Plenty of power and ability but still a bit of a handfull if you haven't driven much.
Don't remember seeing many Ducati dealer/mechanics on the rock.
You going to do the servicing yourself?
mstevens
MTS: 2010 1200S (Red)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 4:06 pm Reply with quote

Is your wife planning to ride the Multi? My wife loves her Monster but can't get her feet on the ground sitting on the Multi.

As others have said, you should plan on dropping your first bike. I crashed my first Monster within a few weeks of getting it and again a year later. My wife totaled her first Monster in the first month. We both started riding in our 40's, used to fly planes, race cars, and have pursued both MSF and individual training so we're not teenaged hotheads with no machine control skills. It's just that the natural position of a motorcycle is on its side and that controlling a motorcycle requires a specific set of skills that come only through practice.

The near-universal advice is to get something that won't accelerate so fast that your brain comes out through your occipital sutures and that you can afford to crash or at least drop repeatedly. Once you've battered that bike for a couple of years, upgrade to one that has a better chance of survival now that you have experience.

Casa Suzana, vacation rental villa in Cozumel, Mexico
Tood
MTS: 2006 1000S DS (Black)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 7:48 pm Reply with quote

Coming from the other side of the fence. My 1000S was my first bike ever and short of a few XR75s and such in my youth the only "real" bike I'd been on. I had plenty of folks say to start with something smaller but the best advice was from another Multi owner at work that said, "Just because it's a 1000 doesn't mean you have to use all 1000." And yes, I did the noob drop it in the driveway a couple times. Nothing busted but my pride. I'm in my 3rd year with it and couldn't be happier.

Another example is my wife. She was talked into a Honda Rebel. It wasn't 6 months until she hated it. Now she's on a lowered Bonneville and loves it.

I think you can get whacked on a Rebel as sure as you can get whacked on a 1198. Be responsible, take the MSF or the NF equal and go for it.

"That the situation appears hopeless should not prevent us from doing our
best."
-Aldo Leopold
Joris
MTS: 2010 1200S (Red)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 8:36 pm Reply with quote

Got on a bike again 10 years ago after 22 years of no bikes. Started on an st2 with 85hp. Clearly had to learn to ride again, defensively and attentively, in comparison with the car. Been lucky enough not to have any incidents and traded the st2 in for a 4s (117hp) after 9 months because I wanted more power. Still happy that I restarted slowly.
Took me 2 years to get to know th e st4s real well in spite of some 5000 miles per year. Why? Because you want and need to try out more, the bike will do it but do you know how to?
Started on my multi 1200s 6 months ago and although I can ride it without any issues I cannot say that I know it inside out and predict her behavior like I could with the st4s. Thankfully the multi is more forgiving (thx to ao DTC and ABS) but if you make an error with your right hand you can really get in trouble (I had that 2 or 3 times on the st).

So when starting fresh I would not recommend to get a 1200 immediately, you need what we call "velvet gloves" in the Netherlands to ride it safely, you haven't achieved that award yet I think. You will get more than enough adrenaline though when you go for the 1200 straightaway!
DR14
MTS: 2010 1200 (White)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 11:35 pm Reply with quote

Having had my 1200 for a month or so now I absolutely love it, it is def not a good bike for a beginner though, it feels big to maneuver compared to my previous 1000DS,
it is unbelievably fast even in the detuned modes, once you hit 5K the bike takes off, I think it would be an intimidating ride for someone starting out.
The 620 is plenty of bike, super fun and I think would reward the learning curve well.

-Dave
bottomdog
MTS: 2010 1200S (Black)

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 1:36 am Reply with quote

I would have to agree with a bike of lesser power-weight ratio. Grow your ability gradually and get the woes out of the way.

Not sure this helps but I started out on a cruiser type with a far lesser ratio. Went through the woes of getting hit and dumped on the bike(hopefully never happens for you). I'm lucky to have come away unscathed but I've learned an awareness that is unparalleled compared to what I thought I knew about being on the road. I'm what I consider a pace heavy driver/rider Laughing and had to learn to appreciate cruising and thinking about my next move and predicting the intended/unintended actions of others.

There is also learning to operate within and respecting the engineering that went into what ever your riding(I don't doubt that you get it). You don't HAVE to learn the hard way though. Take a class bro! I could tell you stories about friends and people I know who HAD to learn this way. Most of them didn't take this class and the others miscalculate regularly(iffy with developing the sense/skills needed to safely operate motorcycles). It'll be there later and improved by the time your ready Wink
joshuachesler
MTS: 2007 1100S (Red)

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 3:21 am Reply with quote

I'd say start with a bike you don't mind dropping. The multi is expensive to repair even for just a garage fall. It's not a matter of if, but when will you drop it - riding or not. Get the experience on something cheap.
torch

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 5:58 am Reply with quote

With all due respect I consider it would be madness to get a 1200s as your first bike . Please don't do it you will end up in pain or dead .it is not a beginners bike !!!! Work your way up to it . Get something smaller do heaps of training and practise on smaller machines and then you will be able to really love understand and appreciate a 1200s down the line .
torch

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 6:00 am Reply with quote

With all due respect I consider it would be madness to get a 1200s as your first bike . Please don't do it you will end up in pain or dead .it is not a beginners bike !!!! Work your way up to it . Get something smaller do heaps of training and practise on smaller machines and then you will be able to really love understand and appreciate a 1200s down the line .