Multistrada Wiki
  About us
 Login

Username:

Password:

Log me on automatically each visit

Problems signing in?

Register

Forum index -   Wanna buy: BMW GS or Multi?
keithfsnow
MTS: Not specified

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2005 7:19 pm Reply with quote

My friend suggested I look at the ducati Multistrada before buying a 05 BMW gs 1200. I like the looks of the MTS and the BMW

I want a bike that handles our twisites well and has the capacity for long trips ( touring) and short day trips with lunch etc..

the BMW is well equipped at about 17,500

what about the MTS cost? I have no idea, I want hard luggage for sure.

Is it as reliable as the BMW?

ride?
Handling?
two up ability?

any advice, insight or comments are welcomed.
thanks
Keith Snow
Keith@myfamilytable.com
Adventure Rider
MTS: 2004 1000 DS (Red)

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2005 8:53 pm Reply with quote

I own an Airhead GS and an MTS. I have ridden an Oilhead GS and ridden with and known a lot of people who own Oilhead GSes.

If you want a bike that you are going to use for long distance touring quite a bit, to haul a lot of stuff, especially two up - then get the GS. This is where it shines - especially if you are ever going to want to take it off pavement. Not that it shines off-pavement, but that for the size it does it okay (KTM LC8 does a lot better off-pavement, but then isn't near as good two-up.

If you want a bike that is really good on pavement, don't mind some of the quirks, won't ride it two-up for very long or very often, and would take it for moderate tours (maybe a thousand mile round trip or so), don't mind having it serviced every 6K miles - then the MTS might be for you.

Neither is as reliable as they should be, but I would worry a lot less about the Oilhead GS on a long trip than the MTS, especially if I were to go out of the way places, and especially if it were a really long trip and I knew I would need service or possibly parts. The big thing BMW has going for it is its much better service and parts network - it is rare you would have to wait for a part for a GS more than a couple of days, and usually a good BMW dealer will have it in stock. It is also comparatively easier to work on.

The GS does an okay job on curves and is not dull, but it doesn't begin to compare to the feel of the MTS. That said, there are many riders who do very very well with an Oilhead GS on a curvy section of road, and some even do well with it off-road.

I did not get my MTS because I wanted to use it for touring, although I won't hesistate to use it for short trips out of state (maybe up and down the west coast), but I wouldn't take it on a world tour like I would a GS (I would prefer the KTM LC8 over either).

The MTS is about $12K US depending on what you get (the S model costs more), and about another $1K for bags and touring goodies.

There is a lot more touring stuff for the GS as most owners fancy themselves some kind of world tourer (many actually are).

I would also suggest that you consider the KTM LC8 which right now ist the main competition for the BMW GS, and why BMW is now going to sell a custom built GS for about $23K US.

The LC8 is very much targetted for those of us who like to go off-road on long tours - it is basically a dirt bike frame and suspension with a light 90 HP VTwin engine. The whole bike is very well designed, and the suspension is to die for off-road (KTM is very good at this - they own Ohlins). Not very good for two up, but in my mind the ultimate adventure touring bike. It is around $12K US.
OGRI

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2005 10:27 pm Reply with quote

I own :

3 R1150-GS (One of them in California) which I consider the best bike BMW has ever built, very good at anything you throw at it.

I also own a R1200-GS, which is also excellent, although it is not as comfortable as the R1150-GS Very Happy

Check http://www.bmwgs.com/forums/forumdisplay...2&forumid=3 Think

And http://www.ukgser.com/forums

Additionally I have a V-STROM 1000, a bike you should also look at,
very reliable, powerful and comfortable.

Check http://vstrom.info/cgi-bin/yawps/index.cgi Think

And last, but not least a Multistrada "S" which I just traded for a regular
DS I had for 6,000 miles. This is the most fun bike to ride by far !
If you test ride both models, you'll end buying the "S" because the
suspension does it all, Ohlins is the best suspension money can buy
bar none ! (all my bikes are equipped with Ohlins) Cool

I use this bike as a fun bike only not over 200 Miles (320 Kms.)
OGRI

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2005 10:31 pm Reply with quote

Check this one for the V-STROM

http://www.vstrom.info/
markh12
MTS: 2005 1000S DS (Black)

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2005 1:33 am Reply with quote

I'm trying to decide what to buy next; Multistrada or GS 1200.

I rode a Multistrada 1000 a couple weeks ago and it was love at first sit. I went on a 20 mile test ride and I thought it was a terrific bike. It fit me really well. I was following a guy testing a Duc 999 and I managed to keep him in site most of the time. Granted he wasn't trying really hard but he was moving along at a pretty good clip. I found the MTS really easy to ride, it tracked well and had good power. The seat was the best part for me. It may not be that way for a good number of people but everything felt natural. I'd really like to try the 'S' model and see how much of an improvement the Ohlins suspension really is.

Today I test rode a '05 GS1200. I'd never ridden a BMW boxer before so I had nothing to compare it to. The dealer had to set the seat on its lowest setting so I could get my feet somewhere close to the ground. It wasn't too bad but I really noticed the seat angle while riding. It felt like I was riding down hill all the time. I liked the overall feel of the bike and it seemed to handle the crosswind I was iding in very well. The brakes were outstanding. This one had the ABS and it would haul itself to a stop in a hurry.
I really wanted to be impressed with this bike. They go all over the world on these things and I thought it would have been a bit better. It has all the new drive line stuff so you don't have to fool with it any more. I guess I was so busy trying to find a good riding position I didn't care about much else. There is a lower seat available and I'm told its better for folks like me with 32" inseams.

Ride both and see what you think. You may have opposite impressions of the two.
Radsmoots

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2005 2:37 am Reply with quote

For sure, nothing beats long distance like a BMW. But first you have to get used to the "quirks". The are different from any other bike. I finally sold my BMW because of a few things I got tired of. One was the constant sound of the electric fuel pump. I know, what's the big deal? But after awhile, it was. And don't forget the weight difference. The BMW 1150GS is well over one hundred pounds heavier than the Ducati. The newer GS is better, but still not light. Sure, they will corner and scratch, just nothing like the MTS will. I just got back from a 1400 mile trip on my new MTS S model, and except for some more wind protection, I couldn't ask for much more.

Taking long trips on highways and interstates? Buy the Beemer. If you plan to take some back roads and out of the way places, I'll take the Duc.

'02 Suzuki DRZ 400

Aventure Touring. It just dosen't get any better than this.
ilydef

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2005 7:47 am Reply with quote

Hi Keith,

two weeks ago I had the same question to answer! I test-rode the 1200GS and afterwards the MTS1000S. There are lightyears between these two bikes. The best way to find out what suits you is a ride on both at the same day! I have ordered the MTS1000S because the handling is perfect, suspension sensationell and the motor has beautiful characteristics. The GS has optional ABS, if this is a reason for your decision and you can do light Offroad-Trips. But I am sure, the MTS also can handle a light gravel-road. For all others the BMW is in my opinion to heavy (237,5 kg incl. ABS)! On-Road the MTS was much more fun to drive for me.

Erich
markh12
MTS: 2005 1000S DS (Black)

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2005 12:53 am Reply with quote

I don't need to worry about what to buy anymore. I bought a Black '05 1000S this morning. I hadn't really intended to buy today, but there it was.
Now I have to go back tomorrow and get my monster.

Hopefully I'll get some sleep. Very Happy

gregbenner

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2005 1:12 am Reply with quote

Keith, I have an 04 Multi as well as an 05 R12GS (also a Tuono).

The GS and MS are similar in many ways

1. seating postion/ergonomics
2 Horsepower
3. Aceeleration

Also different

GS+
Light offroad capabilty
more aftermarket accessories
better luggage
shaft drive
Much cheaper maintenance
ABS brakes

MS
Handles more nimbly (more later)
Ducati
more fun in the twisties, but not by much

A good friend also has a 12GS. I am a more experienced rider. He can keep up as well on his GS whether I have the GS or MS. I.e. in very spirited STREET riding they seem pretty equal. The telelever front end on the Beemer coupled with ABS lets you get away with a lot.

On the track the MS would win due to better tires/wheels if no other reason.

Both bikes are inordinately cool and fun to ride. Both have minor issues.

I decided to sell one of the three bikes I mentioned (Iwant a new K12R).

My 04 Tuono is for sale.
stevespiers
MTS: 2010 1200S (Red)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 9:47 am Reply with quote

Hi Adventure Rider,

Having owend the BMW GS's you will obviously have excellent advice to give on them. I read that you say that the 1200 GS is not as reliable as it could be or has minor issues. Can you say what these are especially any reliability problems. I have test ridden the 1200 GS and I really liked it. It is some 30 kilos lighter than the 1150 more power and better gear box etc. Although it is physicaly bigger than the Multi on paper they are about the same weight. I am about 6'4" so it fits me a treat and I was able to chuck it arround in the twisties no problem and the brakes are superb and because it gives the rider so much confidence you are actually able to ride it very fast through tight twisties. Because my Multi is quite short I find it very cramped two up touring, hence looking at the GS.

Any info you can give would be appreciated.

Regards Steve.
Habanero
MTS: 2004 1000 DS (Gray)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 2:45 pm Reply with quote

Steve,

My Dad traded in his 2004 1150 for the 1200GS, but he says that he probably wouldn't do it again if he had the option. He said the 1150 is a lot smoother.

I took his 1200 out for the weekend a month or so ago, I am a long time BMW guy but that bike just doesn't do it for me. I am awaitng deliver of a Multi...

I would like to get into more off road touring, I think I'll keep my open for a good used KTM Adventure for that. As a big guy, you may really like that machine, but it is way more of a dirt bike that the GS is, really fun though.
Scott
russmu66

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 2:43 am Reply with quote

Bugger the GS... I went for a test ride on the new K1200R on Saturday... and holy shit Surprised

I have to admit... I'm tempted to sell the Multi for one... perhaps early next year. Very comfortable, aggressive looks, and 163 hp. In fact it's the first BMW I've ever thought about buying... didn't think they had it in them. Shocked
Habanero
MTS: 2004 1000 DS (Gray)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 12:59 pm Reply with quote

russmu66 wrote:
Bugger the GS... I went for a test ride on the new K1200R on Saturday... and holy shit Surprised

I have to admit... I'm tempted to sell the Multi for one... perhaps early next year. Very comfortable, aggressive looks, and 163 hp. In fact it's the first BMW I've ever thought about buying... didn't think they had it in them. Shocked

I nearly bought a K1200R a few weeks back, but the peg position was too cramped for my legs. A buddy of mine did buy one, he has discoved a major design flaw, the oil reservoir and pump is directly under the seat and it gets very uncomfortable hot. It is a big problem that BMW is going to have to address.
peter richardson

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 2:26 pm Reply with quote

I had a GS1100 and it had terrible fueling problems at low revs and would stall in traffic when going slowly. The GS 1150 of a friend threw 3rd gear and needed a new box and the lights were dreadfull. The GS1200 I have heard of which were early examples apparently suffered from CPU problems and gear box failure. Otherwise they seem OK.
My advice buy a Multi, it could be more reliable
doctor_john

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 4:07 pm Reply with quote

Quote:
My advice buy a Multi, it could be more reliable

Laughing Clap Laughing Clap Laughing Clap

THANX Peter!

Cool

PS: sorry mum... Shifty