Multistrada Wiki
  About us
 Login

Username:

Password:

Log me on automatically each visit

Problems signing in?

Register

Forum index -   Wanna buy: Is a multistrada upto my use and abuse?
Biaggi
MTS: Not specified

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2005 10:15 am Reply with quote

Hi all,

I'm seriously thinking of getting an MTS to replace my R1.

I want a fun, versatile all rounder that can handle day in day out use, all year round. I currently commute approx. 500 miles a week. Would an MTS be upto that? My journey is 50/50 split between twisties/A-roads and motorway cruising/filtering (good old M25) Brighton to Heathrow.

I originally looked at the KLV and V-Strom but they just don't float my boat like the MTS does. I feel in love a couple of years back when I saw one at the Mugello MotoGP.

I would buy a used example with a little warranty left (to resolve any typical MTS issues that may have been missed) and once this had expired I would do my own servicing (which I currently do on my R1).

I've had a Ducati before (Monster 900 before the R1) so I'm aware of what an involving bike they can be. I see I'll need the factory manual too (strange given the Monster's manual was very comprehensive - typical of the ridiculous law/rule ridden world we live in now I guess?). I know there will be a world apart in performance but that's what I'm looking for. It's time to have fun in the real world (and licence friendly speeds!). I hanker for that V-twin experience again.

This board has been brilliant in highlighting the bikes mainly positive attributes, plus the common issues - thankfully most of which have fixes either by Ducati or ingenious individuals.

I know parts maybe an issue, I know build quality maybe an issue (although I am a fudidous cleaner and maintainer!) but I can't stop thinking about this bike!!

It's my sole mode of transport so it's a big decision, tell me what you think!

All the best Very Happy
rajbbhatt

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2005 3:44 pm Reply with quote

IF you can do the servicing yourself, then thereis no better way to go from an R1. If you will not do the 6000 mile services yourself...this bike might get expensive quick. 500 miles a week means every 12 weeks, you will have to dish out 500 euros ( I am estimating).

Yamaha Virago 250 ('03) (cherry popper)
Biaggi

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2005 6:44 pm Reply with quote

rajbbhatt wrote:
IF you can do the servicing yourself, then thereis no better way to go from an R1. If you will not do the 6000 mile services yourself...this bike might get expensive quick. 500 miles a week means every 12 weeks, you will have to dish out 500 euros ( I am estimating).

Yes I would do the valves too. I did them and the belts on the Monster - patience is all you need. I found the Monster was built for easy servicing - easy access to the valve covers, hinged tank, filters etc and from looking at the pics of the Multistrada it should be fine.

I don't think it's a black art like some dealers like to make out. Given how easy it is to service the air cooled, open engined models, I don't see how they can justify their labour rates.

I tend to do a major service on the R1 at every service (4k miles) except the valves as I like to keep everything running sweet. And with a new workshop soon to installed in the back garden, I can make the most out of all my new toys - sorry I meant tools! Wink
tt tony
MTS: 2004 1000 DS (Red)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 12:55 am Reply with quote

Hi Biaggi,
Do you have a workshop manual for the MTS, and if so, who prints it.
The only one that I have come across is an OEM Ducati manual.
Don't know if they are any good , I haven't ordered it yet. They are in the US, so, anyone like to comment on them. Or if anybody has info on
another manual could you share it with us. I have used Haynes books on most of my bikes in the past and got really used to the format. But I'm not so old I couldn't get used to something new. (Not so young either)
Thanks in advance, tt.