Multistrada Wiki
  About us
 Login

Username:

Password:

Log me on automatically each visit

Problems signing in?

Register

Forum index -   Wanna buy: high maintenance?
lmizell
No Multistrada

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 12:54 am Reply with quote

I have a 1992 TDM 850 yamaha, but am missing the thrills of the tuono etc.
Interested in a multi, ...I notice a lot of them with low miles.... but when I asked a guy about his he said "...way to much up keep for a real rider it cost you more to ride one than it does to buy it."
Is this a fact? I put 10-20K a year on a bike easily. Can someone clarify if the Ducati is a maintenance "hole" you throw money into?? I'm hoping to hear that it's not as I really want something to tingle my undercarrage again!
2hlwf8
MTS: 2007 1100 (Red)

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 3:51 am Reply with quote

When shopping for my bike, i considered this above most other considerations. I am mechanically inclined. Been maintaining my jeep for years. Finally, i decided the first gen multi was perfect. Bought a NOS 1100 to get the warranty. Since it's now my commuter, the miles are adding up fast so any manufacturer defects will be handled by Ducati. Apart from that, i'm handling everything. In that case, i can't see how any bike could be much cheaper.

On the other hand, if you rely on dealer service, at that mileage consumption, you might be better off with a kawayamahonduki. What do i know? Think Hope your search works out well in your favor.

So what's a tingling undercarriage worth to you? 'cause i know a gal... Wink

MTS: 2005 1000 DS (Black)

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 8:12 am Reply with quote

Hi i felt the same way as you but if you read some of the problem threads you'll see not to many problems that can't be fixed my yourself. I've owned my multi just over a year it's never let me down (yet ) Think I've just done 9000 miles only prob i've had with it is the battery dieing on me and sidelight bulb kept blowing (changing that really is a pain) so fitted LED strips on the front.
With all my bikes i change oil/oil filter every 4000 miles and full service every 8000 miles. Doing this yourself will save you loads of wonger.

Ooooh and my undercarriage is allways tingling when i ride it.... Laughing

No Multistrada

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 9:21 am Reply with quote

Thanks for the heads up. I kinda figured that if they were so problematic, then why would anyone buy one!
Android
MTS: 2003 1000 DS (Red)

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 12:48 pm Reply with quote

lmizell wrote:
I have a 1992 TDM 850 yamaha, but am missing the thrills of the tuono etc.
Interested in a multi, ...I notice a lot of them with low miles.... but when I asked a guy about his he said "...way to much up keep for a real rider it cost you more to ride one than it does to buy it."
Is this a fact? I put 10-20K a year on a bike easily. Can someone clarify if the Ducati is a maintenance "hole" you throw money into?? I'm hoping to hear that it's not as I really want something to tingle my undercarrage again!

I bought mine in Nov 08 7,500miles...now at 57,000 still grinning, love going to work and back.
Yes stuff does wear out tires, chains sprockets. things need adjusting (shimming valves) Belts every 12,000..easy job for mechanically minded guy to do.
To take it to the dealer would send your bills up....it recommends in the workshop manual for the dealer to tension your chain:shock: .....is this with in your capabilities..if not it really will cost you.
I'm just replacing my fork tubes myself because they have worn through the chrome and are leaking.
You can shop around for some parts. The Ducati dealer may surprise you with
low cost of original parts...he did with me regards fork bushes and seals.

Twist the throttle too much and the tires wear out quicker Very Happy thats my problem....6000 for rear 8000 for a front

Zookiman is on his next engine after 120,000 miles, he commutes to work too.

MTS: 2003 1000 DS (Custom colour)

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 8:33 pm Reply with quote

I have to say that the Multi is high-maintenance compared to a Jap bike. I run a Multi and a Suzuki SV and I am beginning to wonder if life is worth the effort to keep the Multi. I can do a major service on the SV in a day, the Multi is 3 days and I've found without the ECU adjustment software, the bike can run really shite!

It's horses for courses but Italian bikes are known for their high maintenance
scottktmrider
MTS: 2004 1000 DS (Gray)

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 8:41 pm Reply with quote

Its like my ktm dirt bikes.Yeah they are more money and harder to maintain but worth the trade off you get better quality machine.Its like the difference in having a mercades and a toyota.If you want a low maintance bike go get a 90s honda virago but look what you get.

No Multistrada

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 10:16 pm Reply with quote

Android, I really want life to be like you describe. I would accept the tradeoff if within reason. I was a dealer for gasgas trials bikes (still am) and in 02 they introduced the Pro...lightweight bike 150lbs 280cc. lots of issues first year or two. Lots of maintenance. After third year they became one of the finest, lightest, most high-tech, and maintenance-small (and still are) trials bikes made.
Maybe i'll wait till we get this b-n-b finished and I can afford to spend time fiddling with my bike. The yam is fun and never needs anything. at 80 it has the throttle response of 125cc honda. Nothing thrilling. It's more fun on the dirt backroads though!
pyoungbl
MTS: 2006 1000 DS (Red)

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 10:25 pm Reply with quote

You are not going to be able to ride a Ducati for free. I find that my Multi is not much more difficult (read 'expensive') to work on than my very simple BMW 650 thumper. I do almost all the service on each and it's actually easier to change the oil, check the battery, adjust the chain, or change the plugs on the Multi. Checking the valves will probably be easier on the BMW but only because there is only one cylinder. I expect to see the Multi valves staying in spec much longer than those of the BMW so that operation becomes a wash. Now, when I twist the throttle.....no comparison!

Peter Y.
mollycbr123
MTS: 2010 1200S (White)

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 1:51 am Reply with quote

I quit doing anything beyond simple maintenance chores on my bikes a few years back. The last time I had my old Honda ST1100 in for a full service (valves, belt, etc.), the bill was right at $1k. With major service intervals for the new multi's extended to 15k miles, I really don't expect it to cost much more to maintain than any other dealer serviced bike.

And even if it does, it's well worth it, IMO.

'12 Multistrada S Touring
Yes, I do miss my air cooled multi...
Brand spanking new '16 Thruxton R