Log me on automatically each visit

Problems signing in?

Register

Forum index -   Wanna buy: MTS1200 or ST2/3/4
Goto page 1, 2  Next
bradvincent
No Multistrada

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 6:36 pm Reply with quote

I started in on this forum thinking I'd eventually buy a MTS1200. Well, I am so excited about it I want to buy one before I have the money! So that got me thinking about considering a used ST2, ST3 or ST4 which I could buy for well under half the price. I realize this are completely different bikes.

I won't ride off road (although Ohio roads can probably be considered off road).

ST bikes are few and far between, so I likely won't get to test drive one unless I am serious enough about buying to drive 200 miles. I don't think either an ST or MTS would have any comfort issues for me.

I do plan to ride 2-up, and the MTS1200 look much better.

I worry about maintenance. If I own an MTS, I have to pay for service or void my warranty, and it is more expensive if I screw up. On an ST, I may not be able to find anyone to do service if I can't do it myself, and I may have trouble finding parts.

I am not considering a pre-1200 MTS, at the current price, I may as well get a 1200.

Other than what I've mentioned, are there any differences to consider?
Snatchers
MTS: 2004 1000 DS (Black)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 7:11 pm Reply with quote

Hi never ridden an MTS1200 but do own an MTS DS1000 and an ST4 916 and they are two very different bikes to ride. If you do get an ST DONT get the 916 unless u are happy doing 120mph every were they just like to go fast the servicing is the same on any ST but the 916 belts are more expensive because they are twin cam witch can be an arse to change if u dont have the right tools.If u go for an ST3 or ST2 they are single cam and are easier to work on i think that the ST3 is the same engine as the MTS 1000 but is water cooled with a wet clutch if i could go back in time i knowing what i know now i would have got an ST3 from 2005 on, with olins all round they look nicer and handle better ST2 is ok but most will have high mileage ST4s was not a 916 engine i think it is the 996 engine that they later used in the ST3 but they are like rocking horse shit (Very hard to find)
nav18tor
MTS: 2004 1000 DS (Black)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 7:34 pm Reply with quote

Why not a Multistrada 1000 or 1100?

http://www.pureholidayhomes.com/coimbra-...gal-p32294.html
mollycbr123
MTS: 2010 1200S (White)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 8:12 pm Reply with quote

If you can do long mileage on a sportbike, then an ST will give you no comfort issues. The STxxs' riding positions are much more aggressive than either of the multi's. My ST3 became very uncomfortable for me on trips, and that is the major reason I now ride a multi.

'12 Multistrada S Touring
Yes, I do miss my air cooled multi...
Brand spanking new '16 Thruxton R
lotus54
MTS: 2005 1000S DS (Red)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 2:09 am Reply with quote

I've had a couple of STs. Great bikes.
For me, I liked them better than the Multi over about 80mph, the Multi way better under 80mph.

You can find good used Multi 1100/1000 for less than half the new 1200 also.
I'd consider all three.

The 1200 with the Electronic adjustable suspension is the most versatile (on the road). You can soften it up for hiways/ freeway, firm it For those high speed sweepers. Change it for city etc.
I was very impressed, I must have changed the mode 30 times an hour plus ride.

Mark

Beta XTrainer 300
bradvincent
No Multistrada

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 11:28 am Reply with quote

I decided I want a Ducati, since I am Italian and also a fan of their superbikes. The monsters, hypermotards and old multistradas are out because they have a boring (to me anyway) engine. It would be like if Ferrari put their name on a 1.2 liter v4 compact car - why buy it?

This will be an everyday vehicle that will go on a few long trips, so that rules out the superbikes due to comfort and low speed handling. The Diavel and Streetfighter are as much money as the Multistrada, and have issues with fuel and luggage (and probably handling, I haven't test driven them). That leaves the MTS1200 and the old STs.

I've never ridden an ST at all, or ridden a sport bike of any type for more than a test-ride length. But I don't think I'd be uncomfortable. I do want to ride 2-up, and that could be a deal killer on the ST.

It seems like people are saying to avoid the ST4, but any ST2 or ST3 would be okay. Is that correct?
Steve B
MTS: 2010 1200 (Red)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 12:02 pm Reply with quote

I think you have some misconceptions about the Ducatis you are and aren't interested in. Have you ridden a 2 valve air cooled Ducati? They don't have the top end horsepower of the 4 valve motors, but make plenty of low end and mid range. In fact, Ducati is probably better known for these motors than the 4 valve liquid cooled bikes, so I don't see why the perspective of "why buy it"? They have a very strong following and a huge aftermarket.

Of the bikes you are/aren't interested in, I've owned an ST2, ST4 (916), MTS1000, MTS1100, and now a MTS 1200. The STs are fine bikes, but the ST2, with a liquid cooled 2 valve motor, makes no more power than the air cooled MTS1000 or 1100. There's no reason to avoid an ST4 if you were set on an ST, other than additional time for valve adjustments. What Mark said about the riding dynamics of the STs vs the 1st gen MTS held true for me too. I much prefer the 1st gen MTS over the STs for anything other than high speed burning.

Do you mind saying what your riding background is? It seems you would be doing yourself a favor by taking time to ride a few of these, or similar bikes before narrowing down your choices. Unless you just found a screaming deal on an ST, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend an MTS 1000/1100 over one.
bradvincent
No Multistrada

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 12:40 pm Reply with quote

Maybe the comparison to a Ferrari compact car was unfair. I know this engine has a large following, and they are probably great bikes, but they just aren't interesting to me. For me, Ducati=really cool superbikes, and if I can't ride one, I can at least have the engine. If I just want the name, why not just pick up a Ducati Sogno and tell everyone I own a Ducati?

This isn't about performance either - Kawasaki, Suzuki, Honda, and Yamaha all make as good (or better) engines for a fraction of the price. And I know the fastest air cooled Ducatis probably will outperform the old ST2s.

I haven't actually ridden an air cooled Ducati, but if I go that route, it will be a Monster, which at least looks cool. There is no way I am paying 8k+ for something that looks like a scooter, I don't care how well it handles, sounds, or what manufacture's name is on it.

The ST bikes are few and far between, but when they do show up in classifieds, e-bay or cycle trader, they are often under 5k.
Habanero
MTS: 2006 1000S DS (Custom colour)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 2:09 pm Reply with quote

bradvincent wrote:

I haven't actually ridden an air cooled Ducati, but if I go that route, it will be a Monster, which at least looks cool. There is no way I am paying 8k+ for something that looks like a scooter, I don't care how well it handles, sounds, or what manufacture's name is on it.

insulting the folks you ask for help is always a good start...

No Multistrada

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 2:59 pm Reply with quote

This was not meant to be an insult to anyone besides Pierre Terblanche (who also designed the ST3). I don't think many people on this forum think the "wet cat with a large forehead" is Ducati's best looking bike.

BTW - yes, I realize many of the ST bikes are not superbike engines. They are better for 2-up than the monster, and cheaper than the old multistrada.
keener
MTS: 2005 1000S DS (Black)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 3:53 pm Reply with quote

bradvincent wrote:
This was not meant to be an insult to anyone besides Pierre Terblanche (who also designed the ST3). I don't think many people on this forum think the "wet cat with a large forehead" is Ducati's best looking bike.

BTW - yes, I realize many of the ST bikes are not superbike engines. They are better for 2-up than the monster, and cheaper than the old multistrada.

you didnt mean too? insult? then why do so on a site dedicated to the multistrada please go away and buy a souless Honda Wink
Keener Mad

74 Z1 900
98 1200 Bandit
2015 Kawasaki Verses 1000
bradvincent
No Multistrada

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 4:18 pm Reply with quote

This forum is for the multistrada 1200 as well. People asked why I don't want an older multistrada. I assumed most people who could afford a bike in this price range were mature enough that I could answer honestly.
mollycbr123

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 5:32 pm Reply with quote

You may think your neighbor's wife looks like a "wet cat with a large forehead", but telling him so while asking him for his help is not the smoothest way to approach things. Wink

I'm trying to understand your logic here. You have never ridden an ST, and apparently have minimal time on sportbikes as well, yet you are convinced that you will be happy and comfortable on an STxx, and will not consider any air-cooled Ducati because you feel they are underpowered.

Sound about right?

Do yourself a favor, and go out and ride some of these bikes. Asking for opinions on a forum, and then disregarding them out of hand, probably won't do much to help you decide.

bradvincent
No Multistrada

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 6:04 pm Reply with quote

I did not say I won't consider an air-cooled Ducati because I feel they are underpowered. I specifically said this wasn't about performance, was a personal preference based on nontangibles. Being my money, I am welcome to that opinion, and I am certainly not the only one buying a Ducati with reasons other than practicality.

I am willing to travel 200 miles to buy an ST4, but not just to test drive one I am not serious about buying. My chief concern with the ST4 is whether I will be able to perform maintenance, and test driving won't help with that. Obviously if I am convinced I can handle maintenance, I will test drive the bike before handing over $5k cash.

I only asked for help from former ST owners, and specifically started my post saying "I am not considering a pre-1200 MTS". If this isn't you, you are welcome to help, but I didn't ask for it.

If you really bought a pre-1200 MTS and are seriously offended that not every single person on Earth thinks it is an awesome looking bike, then I don't want your help.
mollycbr123

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 6:42 pm Reply with quote

bradvincent wrote:
I did not say I won't consider an air-cooled Ducati because I feel they are underpowered. I specifically said this wasn't about performance, was a personal preference based on nontangibles. Being my money, I am welcome to that opinion, and I am certainly not the only one buying a Ducati with reasons other than practicality.

I am willing to travel 200 miles to buy an ST4, but not just to test drive one I am not serious about buying. My chief concern with the ST4 is whether I will be able to perform maintenance, and test driving won't help with that. Obviously if I am convinced I can handle maintenance, I will test drive the bike before handing over $5k cash.

I only asked for help from former ST owners, and specifically started my post saying "I am not considering a pre-1200 MTS". If this isn't you, you are welcome to help, but I didn't ask for it.

If you really bought a pre-1200 MTS and are seriously offended that not every single person on Earth thinks it is an awesome looking bike, then I don't want your help.

Got about 40K miles on an ST3, and you don't offend me at all.

Good luck to you.