Log me on automatically each visit

Problems signing in?

Register

Forum index -   Wanna buy: MTS1200 or ST2/3/4
Goto page Previous  1, 2
philly
MTS: 2005 1000 DS (Red)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 7:41 pm Reply with quote

I've come to think my MTS1000 is beautiful but she's still a girlie with narrow hips and broad shoulders ... I had a local ST4 picked out and opted for the MTS1000 at the last minute ... I just fell in love with the low to mid range torque ... You can't get that in most sport bikes and not in the ST4 ... But I still think the ST4 in more conventionally beautiful ...
redcastle
MTS: 2008 1100S (Black)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 8:40 pm Reply with quote

I sort of understand what your trying to find out but comparing folks bikes with wet cats etc. isn't really the way forward. Try, "not for me" or "I'm not a big fan of the looks". Dissing the MTS/1100 just gets backs up.
It's like my kids, I can call them fat and ugly but nobody else dare.

onward

Why confuse yourself with the maintenance?, that's not going to help when your backs aching and your arse is sore.
"Jesus I'm tired but at least the servicing is easy"
Surely the first consideration is whether you like the bike and the ride and if it ticks the touring and comfort boxes. Smile
lotus54
MTS: 2005 1000S DS (Red)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 10:52 pm Reply with quote

Just so you know, the ST2 engine is vey, very close to the 1000Multi, they just have some water jackets in the cylinders, it still even has fins..

So if you need a Superbike engine, then it will be the ST4 or Multi1200.

the Multi 1200 has WAY better performance, lower Maintenance and a much more flexible bike.
As long as the money is no issue, I'd recommend the 1200 S or Touring over the ST4 or ST4S for the use you describe.

I certainly have no issues with you wanting a certain bike just because you want it! heck, I think that applies to the majority here. Otherwise we'd have Suzukis.

Highly recommend a long test ride, with your wife.

Mark

Oh, doing you own maintenance will NOT void your warranty, not in the States.
You do have to document it.
I've done my own, and never a warranty issue at all. Magnussen act here in the states.

Last edited by lotus54 on Wed Jul 27, 2011 1:27 am; edited 1 time in total

Beta XTrainer 300
Moronic
No Multistrada

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 1:08 am Reply with quote

bradvincent wrote:
I decided I want a Ducati, since I am Italian and also a fan of their superbikes. The monsters, hypermotards and old multistradas are out because they have a boring (to me anyway) engine. It would be like if Ferrari put their name on a 1.2 liter v4 compact car - why buy it?

This will be an everyday vehicle that will go on a few long trips, so that rules out the superbikes due to comfort and low speed handling. The Diavel and Streetfighter are as much money as the Multistrada, and have issues with fuel and luggage (and probably handling, I haven't test driven them). That leaves the MTS1200 and the old STs.

I've never ridden an ST at all, or ridden a sport bike of any type for more than a test-ride length. But I don't think I'd be uncomfortable. I do want to ride 2-up, and that could be a deal killer on the ST.

It seems like people are saying to avoid the ST4, but any ST2 or ST3 would be okay. Is that correct?

bradvincent, if you are still around, I suspect what is bugging many who respond here is the yawning gap between the assumptions underlying your posts and the reality you will likely experience when and if you get one of these bikes.

The respondents have been working to close that gap for you, but you seem determined to stick with the fantasy. Fair enough, but in that case, why ask?

Your original post asked about differences between the ST2-4 series and the Multistrada 1200. There are enough differences to fill a book, and additionally, there are big differences between the half-dozen ST models.

The respondents are trying to fill you in on how these bikes work on the road. A couple of key points:

- the biggest practical difference between the ST series and the Multistradas is the ride posture.

- In road use, many people, perhaps most, rarely call upon the extra top-end zip offered by the water-cooled engines.

- The Multistrada ride posture tends to be more pleasant than the ST ride posture until speeds exceed 80mph. Especially two-up.

- The key strength of any Ducati engine is not the top-end, where many other motors make more power, but how good it feels at part-throttle, where the air-cooled motors feel at least as good as the water-cooled versions.

Add that up and you can see why people suggest you look at the 1000-1100 Multi.

Especially as many here will have chosen the Multi over an ST for just these sorts of reasons. Smile

(Me? I have a water-cooled Monster, which looks great and goes fast. But I still lust after a Multi, for the above reasons and more.)
bradvincent
No Multistrada

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 12:31 pm Reply with quote

A rewrite of my original post, to get this back on topic, and avoid any possible confusion.

I started in on this forum thinking I'd eventually buy a MTS1200. Well, I am so excited about it I want to buy one before I have the money! So that got me thinking about a used ST4 which gets me a superbike engine well under half the price. I realize these are completely different bikes. I also started looking into the ST2 and ST3, as I am not sure how long Ducati will provide parts and service for discontinued bikes, and worry the ST4 may be beyond my technical ability to service myself. I assume the ST2 and ST3 are much easier to do valve adjustments on. The ST bikes may also be a plus for service, as I will be willing to do more myself as I won't be concerned with screwing up a warranty or ruining a $20k bike.

I won't ride off road (although Ohio roads can probably be considered off road).

ST bikes are few and far between, so I likely won't get to test drive one unless I am serious enough about buying to drive 200 miles. I realize these are completely different riding positions, but I don't think either an ST or MTS would have any comfort issues for me. I do plan to ride 2-up, and the MTS1200 looks much better. Can anyone who's ridden both share their experiences with passengers?

I am not considering a pre-1200 MTS.

Other than what I've mentioned, are there any differences to consider?
lotus54
MTS: 2005 1000S DS (Red)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 11:08 pm Reply with quote

I've ridden both.
Under 80mph, the 1200 way better (especially with a passenger).
Over 80, ST better (with passenger also, IF the passenger is happy with the position).

The ST2 engine is great, simple and fairly easy to work on. Pretty much like the air cooled bikes (which they are bases on).
The ST has a lot more bodywork to fool with (I installed a Dzus fastener setup to speed access). The ST has a bit better protection from the elements.

For bumpy roads, the 1200 is much, much better. For high speed smooth sweepers, the ST. A buddy of mine rode a 1200 on the track, he was very fast and passed LOTS of Superbikes (but he is a very fast rider). He said it was much more stable than the older Multis at really high speed (110 plus). I think he saw something like 150?

From everything you say, I think you would be much happier on the 1200.

Mark

Beta XTrainer 300