Multistrada Wiki
  About us
 Login

Username:

Password:

Log me on automatically each visit

Problems signing in?

Register

Forum index -   Wanna buy: S Model , Tiger ,GS ?
bill1
No Multistrada

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 6:06 pm Reply with quote

Hi All;
I went thru looking at these bikes last year,then left it go for a year.
I look at touring as a occ. 7-14 day trip with a lot of 3 day rides. i also commute to work most days.[ won't leave in the pouring rain but will have to ride home in it]
superslab- sometimes when trying to get home after stayiny too long.
Don't ride dirt.Occ gravel [repair and detours].
Never want to ride to a jungle . Would like to go to Italy.
Ride a Harley now [Super Glide] Britt bikes when young.
Looking for light wt.
handling
power to wt.
I do not ride 2-up.
20,000 to 28,000 miles per yea
Also needs to haul camping gear
Would like soft bags. Brands people like?
05 seat sounds better.
would get the S because I can.Thinking it would also adjust softer for super slab when needed
Tiger is a good price.rode one front end soft. nice triple thru
rode a multi.liked it Both were 04's both short rides.
BMW won't let you ride one,so leaning towards no ride no
buy.
So ,it really comes down to the MultiS or Tiger.
Why doesn't someone test all 3 on the road since most of the riding is done on the road. For most riders i bet 98% is on the road.
In tests all I read is the BMW is better in the dirt .I don't care.
Mutli's are left out in the tests [Not A off-road bike]
The Tiger needs a triked out version,but Triumph had a problem reading what the market wanted last time around. Some things never change.
I guess i am writing myself into a Multi S
So soft bags? tank bags? Seat?[never is any kind of consensis on seats]
What a whinner I am.
Any ideas on what is here?
Bill
Habanero
MTS: 2004 1000 DS (Gray)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 7:24 pm Reply with quote

Bill,

I am following a parallel path, I have spent the spring checking out new bikes. I want the same things you are looking for, and I am about to drop the coin on a Multi.

The R1200gs is a great machine, but I feel disconnected from the road while on it, and I have zero passion for it's styling. But, if I were taking off on an adventure tour, I'd probably opt for it.

The KTM Adventure really made me smile, it is a fun machine, but really a dressed up dirt bike. I like it's odd styling, too. I am going to keep my eye open for a cheap used one for heading up into the hills on.

The Tiger......sorry I can't consider that one, I think that is the ugliest thing I have ever seen. But I hear they are nice.

I keep coming back to the Multistrada, I love how it rides, I love how it looks. The only question for you maybe, at 20,000-28,000 miles per year, that is 4 to 5 service intervals.

Ducati's parts supply system is lacking also, but I will keep my k100rs as a back up.

Anyway...that's my rationalization. I'm trying to work a deal for a 2005 S demonstrator, if not, I will probably just pay full bore and get after it.

Good luck with your choice, and enjoy....
Scott
rickalan35
MTS: Not specified

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 11:24 am Reply with quote

Hi, I own an 05 Multi. I use "Bagster" for soft bags and mount one on the tank and the other on the rear seat. I previously used the two bags the same way on my '97 VFR. I simply sent away for the multistrada tank cover and mounted the two bags on the new cover. My motorcycle club goes on two week-long rides each spring and fall and this Bagster arrangement has allowed me to carry more stuff than my friends with regular softbags. My rear seat bag is the biggest Bagster unit available. Each to his own I guess. My Multi is red as are my bags. You should check them out as possibilities at www.bagster.com

The Multistrada seat 05 has worked out wonderfully on several 500 k plus riding days. I anticipated purchasing a Corbin or Russell seat but now realize that won't be necessary.

Multistrada handles like a dream. Switched with my buddy for his GS and found it to be too big for me (I also own an electroglide so it wasn't the extra weight)....the GS seemed really big and soft in the front end and less responsive when compared to the Ducati. That's not to say that you can't really fly on a GS though as my friends really haul theirs around thru the twisties. It was simply a case of the fact that in comparison to the Multistrada, the BMW was cumbersome.

The damn front brakes chatter. It's an annoying problem that could get dangerous someday and I really want to get that problem fixed. The dealer is insisting that I must be mistaken .....sure. I see on this forum that the front brake chatter is mentioned often. It occurs just before you come to a stop...say at about 5 mph and lower. It happens approx 50 % of the time.

Other than the brake problem, the bike has been wonderful and has renewed my biking pleasure. I traded a 2002 ZZ1200R and a '97 VFR on it and would never trade back.

Rick
essex65

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2005 1:34 am Reply with quote

Bill,
I've owned 2 Tigers, and now have a new 04 Multistada. Had a 2000 Tiger with the 885 cc and a new 2002 Tiger with the 955 cc. They are very comfortable, great handling machines with strong motors. Rode one cross country and back. 2 complaints, soft front end, brakes prone to warp and then wobble and wind buffeting from the straight windshield. . I tried 3 different screens but kinda gave up. But I never felt so safe and cofident on a bike. Just bought the Multi..like it because it is light, great handling too and awesome brakes. Not as plush as the Tiger. Wish Triumph would update the Tiger...perhaps thin it down like the new GS, you know, sharpen it up a bit. Good deals on Tigers..and are equipped with luggage!
VORTEX

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 1:09 am Reply with quote

Plz check out the KTM Adventura S model, 21 inch front rim, same price as the DS 1000 S, BMW and Triumph.
Geat bike for the big and tall people of the world, best of both world.
Hard decision between the DS100 S and KTM adventure S
prmultiwannabe
MTS: 2004 1000 DS (Black)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 10:23 pm Reply with quote

I've owned both the GS and now the MTS. They really are different bikes. The MTS is a sport bike that can be comfortable and useful (bags, GPS, screens etc.) while the GS is a very comfortable, reliable bike that can be sporty (if ridden very aggressively). So it kind of comes down to what your priorities are? Fun first or practicality (as practical as a bike can be I guess)? Good luck...both are great bikes. My decision ultimately came down to the price (GS was much more) and the fact that I really never rode my GS on dirt.

Enjoy
bhartman99
MTS: 2004 1000 DS (Gray)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 12:29 am Reply with quote

For what it may be worth motorcycle.com just posted their review of the KTM, BMW,Tigger, Suzuk, and KLR. Interesting reading. Of course no mention of my MTS. Also the latest Motorcyclist had a short review of the 06 Tigger. I plan to test drive an 05 this week at Erico in Denver, if I do, will try to give a short review but I am no expert. I do love my MTS but the distance to a dealer and parts availability is giving me the fits.
wayward
MTS: 2004 1000 DS (Black)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 4:12 pm Reply with quote

bill1 wrote:
would get the S because I can.
Very well said.