Multistrada Wiki
  About us
 Login

Username:

Password:

Log me on automatically each visit

Problems signing in?

Register

Forum index -   Wanna buy: Buy in America or in Italy?
valitalian
MTS: Not specified

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 7:50 am Reply with quote

Greetings,

I am Italian but spend most of the year in the USA (summers in Europe).
I have considered buying a Multi since it first came out and now that they finally have a more confortable seat and taller windshield I am readyER to get one to do some serious cruising since I do not have a car there.

I have this dilemma: given that my income is Euro is small and most of it is in Dollars, should I go there this summer and just get it at 12000 Euros or get it in the US at 12000 Dollars and then ship it overseas before leaving the US?

I know full well that the Euro is worth about a Dollar and a quarter. A bike purchased here in the States at 12000 plus taxes and tags then the cost of shipping overseas, still don't catch 12000 Euros (15000 Dollars) right?

Anyone who has done shipping overseas or otherwise has some good advice please respond.

P.S. Are accessories cheaper in Italy?

Thank you. Smile [/list][/quote]

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 3:33 pm Reply with quote

I would check with customs before I bought a bike in the USA to reimport to Italy. fees may eat up your savings on the euro vs. dollar difference. while he is not in Italy you might try to get the attention of Doc who is a MUlti rider in Greece. he may be able to give you an idea of prices for goodies.
falcofred
MTS: 2004 1000 DS (Red)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 6:44 pm Reply with quote

My dream is to buy a Ducati here in the USA, and take delivery in Italy Pray
Then take an extended vacation and tour the Alps, riding by day and drinking by night Smile
I'll just have to be satisfied with my MTS for now, as wife, kids, work etc. are preventing me from for filling my dream. Crying or Very sad

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 4:21 am Reply with quote

Dont think that is going to happen. As an American living in Europe i was able to purchase a US spec from Ducati of Germany who ordered direct through Bologna, Italy. But as for the other way around i do not think it is possible.
From what i was told by Ducati, only Ducati of North America recieves US models and nothing more and is not allowed to get euro spec bikes from europe. Besides if you could the charges in customs and shipping would most likely equate to what you would pay for it in Italy. Best bet might be to buy factory direct in Bologna, or in another european country for a better price.

marcello79

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2005 7:53 am Reply with quote

As far as I know, at least for australian and british people, Ducati provides the possibility to buy a bike directly here in Bologna.
Last year I met here in Borgo Panigale some australian guys who bought an all-inclusive bundle that included:
-Flight to-from Bologna (and hotel)
-Ducati ST4 with australian specs, plates and documents
-A guided shake down through local roads
It was WWDW time, so I don't know if it was a special offer, as I don't know aboute the price.
I can only say tha those guys were really happy! Laughing
Marcello
dadelgrosso

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 1:09 am Reply with quote

Any US spec bike will be a problem to register in Italy. I have a 87 Kawasaki I left with my sister in Umbria when I toured in 98 and my cousins have tried everything to get it registered and insured. I would think you could buy a Ducati cheaper in Italy than the US.
valitalian

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 9:18 pm Reply with quote

I get it, I better buy it in Italy and hope the Euro goes down a little this summer. Rolling Eyes

Thanks to all for your inputs. Wink

HOVEVER

Marcello, I read that you are from Borgo Panigale, DUCATILAND, can you tell me if is better (or cheaper) to buy factory direct or should I go to a dealer in another region of Italy? Which one eventually? I heard that in the north they seem to be pricier!

Anyone who knows the answer to that PLEASE give me an imput.

Thank you - Grazie.

No Multistrada

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 7:15 pm Reply with quote

Can you pick up a US spec bike at the factory?
If so how?
Bill
JamesG

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 10:59 am Reply with quote

bill1 wrote:
If so how?
Bill

Probably not, and why would you want to?

this is a similar problem to trying to get Canadian bikes across in to the US. assides from the paperwork involved, the bike must also have its speedometer changed to show miles vs. kilometers, and also be "homogulated" with the DOT and EPA.

A big pain in the rear.

A few years ago I looked at buying an Italian market 900SS from a guy in the Army who had brought one home . He was honest enough to admit that the reason he was selling it was to avoid the hassle of trying to get it titled and registered in the US.

Best of luck with what every you decide to do.
xlcafe

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 2:06 pm Reply with quote

Quote:
[quote="JamesG"]
bill1 wrote:
If so how?
Bill

Probably not, and why would you want to?

BMW and Mercedes have a program where you can order a US spec car and pick it up at the factory in Germany. People do this because they get to drive in Germany on the Autobahn, tour the factory, and make a vacation out of it. Not a bad way to buy a car, if you can afford it.

I wouldn't mind going to Italy, pick up my bike at the factory and ride around Europe for a month and then head back to the US...sounds like fun to me.
Mike S.
Multibound

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 2:19 pm Reply with quote

bill1 wrote:
If so how?
Bill

That is how i got mine. Straight from Bologna using a german dealer. Paid the US list price for it, so not much of a discount. But your going to pay to have it shipped to the US. And i dont think you can register a US bike over here to ride around for a bit either.
1. Your not a european citezen and dont have a euro license, address etc.
2. Who is going to insure you, if so it aint cheap.
3. Its expensive just to register it depending on the country, and its US spec. Not going to happen!

Good luck with that!
I am US military so that is all taken care of for free.

doctor_john

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 4:51 pm Reply with quote

dear Valitalian,

i think that your problem has an easy solution...
if you get payed with US dollars, BUY IN US! and rent one for your vacations Wink

if you get payed with Euros... BUY IN US! and do you vacation in US also! Laughing

Cool
valitalian

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 8:39 pm Reply with quote

doctor_john wrote:
dear Valitalian,

i think that your problem has an easy solution...
if you get payed with US dollars, BUY IN US!

I get paid in Euros and in US Dollars (I rent homes). What makes me wonder is:

if cheap shipping, changing the muffler to European specs and pay Italian import taxes, then a river of paperworks to register it there, is worth the saving of 1/4 of the price of buying in Italy in Euros.

The other alternative would be also to buy it in the US but keep it there with US licence plates (likely to get less tickets Wink ) so NOT changing the plates, NOT paying import taxes and paying US taxes, US licence plates, registration and off course shipping overseas.

Shocked If anyone has done that, please tell me if its worth it. TY Val