Multistrada Wiki
  About us
 Login

Username:

Password:

Log me on automatically each visit

Problems signing in?

Register

Forum index -   Wanna buy: How does the MTS feel? Is it torquey?
Goto page 1, 2  Next
bikesinmud
MTS: Not specified

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 7:38 pm Reply with quote

I'm very interested in getting the MTS with Ohlins. Unfortunatley the dealer in my area sold their 1000MTS that was the demo bike. I rode the 620, it was fun but not exciting. The riding position was a great relief from the sport bikes in my past. My current ride is an Aprilia Mille Factory '04. Superb machine. The power and the torque of that v twin is addicting to say the least. So how would you rate the performance and power of the MTS? When I look at the figures and power curves on line I'm worried that the 1000MTS will be weak and the first thing I want to do is up the performance.
wayward
MTS: 2004 1000 DS (Black)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 7:30 pm Reply with quote

bikesinmud wrote:
My current ride is an Aprilia Mille Factory '04. Superb machine. The power and the torque of that v twin is addicting to say the least. So how would you rate the performance and power of the MTS? When I look at the figures and power curves on line I'm worried that the 1000MTS will be weak and the first thing I want to do is up the performance.
I wouldn't say the comparison between the two bikes is like apples and oranges, it's more like oranges and grapefruits. They're both V-Twins but the Mille is liquid cooled and pulls much higher RPM's so the MTS won't be nearly as fast just because of the engine, not to mention the suspension and riding posture. The MTS does have a lot of grunt at the bottom end but coming from a Mille you will probably end up wanting a little more. Fortunately it doesn't cost all that much to do it. Adding a rear sprocket with 2 or 3 more teeth or a front sprocket with one less will do a lot for the bottom end. Combine that with an exhaust upgrade (which almost everyone does anyway) and you are there.

I have a friend in Medford that has an Aprilia Falco and we swapped bikes for a day and were both happy with either bike. On the open road the Multistrada will become very small in the Mille's rear view mirror but in the twisties it can more than hold it's own against the sportbikes. It's a great bike that's comfortable with lots of low end grunt that's a hoot to ride. If that's what you're looking for it's perfect but if you expect it to be like the Mille, you will be disappointed.

bikesinmud

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2005 4:23 pm Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply, I'm not trying to compare the two bikes, since they occupy two distinct niches on two wheels. The way my Mille pulls is sooo nice,even from the bottom. I was just wondering how the MTS compared in the torque dept. Going for a test ride this weekend, the bike store finally has another demo MTS. Without a doubt I will be changing to a full exhaust, freeing up the intake and up 1 or 2 teeth on the rear. Just because I have hooligan tendancies occasionally-wheelies and burnouts to name a few. Grazzi.
kneepuck
MTS: 2004 1000 DS (Red)

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2005 7:32 pm Reply with quote

My previous bike was an Aprilia Falco. So I know the Rotax engine well. My impression of the MTS is that is would be perfect if it had the Rotax engine. Heresay I know. But the Aprilia Rotax is an awesome engine. It pulls MUCH lower than the 1000DS. And it spins up much quicker and nicer. The MTS is good if you keep in on a boil. When playing in twisties, the 1000DS is good when kept no lower than 5500 - 6000 rpms.

I guess people have complained about kick stands, fuel sensors, etc. Those things I can live with. But I am disappointed in the engine. Everything else about the bike I love!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2005 2:26 am Reply with quote

bikesinmud wrote:
Thanks for the reply, I'm not trying to compare the two bikes, since they occupy two distinct niches on two wheels. The way my Mille pulls is sooo nice,even from the bottom. I was just wondering how the MTS compared in the torque dept. Going for a test ride this weekend, the bike store finally has another demo MTS. Without a doubt I will be changing to a full exhaust, freeing up the intake and up 1 or 2 teeth on the rear. Just because I have hooligan tendancies occasionally-wheelies and burnouts to name a few. Grazzi.
The Multistrada has pretty good torque down low for an air cooled engine. Like Kneepuck said you have to keep the RPM's up a little in the twisties but overall it pulls well all things considered. With the Staintune exhaust, airbox restrictors removed and custom Power Commander map mine actually pulls well a little lower than what Kneepuck says. I can get away with letting it drop to 5000 or even 4500 RPM.

txlongrider
MTS: 2005 1000S DS (Red)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2005 2:49 am Reply with quote

I concer with the previous posts. You might be somewhat disappointed with the power, however, as a daily rider, a one-up tourer, and traffic carver you wouldn't be disappointed. If you want the power and feel the need for speed, nothing beats a 999S. I even find the ergo's of the 999 quite pleasant for my young age of 58 years. My son's R1 makes me feel wadded-up and standing on my head. Different strokes I quess.
wayward

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2005 3:15 am Reply with quote

txlongrider wrote:
If you want the power and feel the need for speed, nothing beats a 999S.
I don't know about that...I love the 999 and it is definately on my wish list but I would like to get a ride on one of these to see how it compares. http://www.mvagustausa.com/web-mvagusta/F4-1000_Tamb.html I bet this would give it a run for the money.

Astroman

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2005 3:42 am Reply with quote

i just rode an 05 multi.. brought back ducati memories (i had a 96 900SS) Feel like a big motard (i had a DRZ400SM) so im going to buy a mutistrada! I think is the most fun bike i rode the last months (exclude my Supermoto) Mr. Green

MTS: 2003 1000 DS (Red)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2005 8:14 am Reply with quote

Astroman wrote:
i just rode an 05 multi.. brought back ducati memories (i had a 96 900SS) Feel like a big motard (i had a DRZ400SM) so im going to buy a mutistrada! I think is the most fun bike i rode the last months (exclude my Supermoto) Mr. Green

Gotcha ! Very Happy

I told you so Astroman, go and get one; you won't be disappointed at all.

And welcome aboard,

Doc

Engakats
No Multistrada

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2005 10:28 am Reply with quote

well well!!

it was about time Astro...!! Wink Wink Wink

show us here your talents Wink Wink Wink Wink

P.S.

especialy now that bikenet is down I bet I will c u around quite often Razz Wink

MTS: 2004 1000 DS (Gray)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2005 5:58 pm Reply with quote

I got my Multi last Wednesday, and after about 500 miles in the saddle, I am enjoying the hell out of it. Sure, I see modifications need to be made to make set up just for me, I expect that. But the base that I have to work from is excellent.

For those that are downhill skiers out there, to me, the Multi is the cycling version of an all mountain performance ski with a great side cut. You can find a faster ski for downhill racing, you can get a fatter ski for powder and deep crud, but the all mountain ski allows you to have fun carving turns over the mountain, in many differing conditions..

The upright riding position puts one into a much more skiing like position, also.

winter turns, summer turns..it's easy to make me happy.

Last edited by Habanero on Sun Jul 24, 2005 6:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
wayward

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2005 6:30 pm Reply with quote

Habanero wrote:
For those that are downhill skiers out there, to me, the Multi is the cycling version of an all mountain performance ski with a great side cut. You can find a faster ski for downhill racing, you can get a fatter ski for powder and deep crud, but the all mountain ski allows you to have fun carving turns over the mountain, in many differing conditions..
Well if you are going to use a skiing analogy...I see it more like a snowboard. It's fun, it's easy to learn and handle and you don't need a mountain slope to have fun. Just dig a half pipe in the snow and go for it. I have loads of fun on it just riding to work. Although I must admit that my ride to work is on a 25 mile stretch of road that parallels a river winding through a canyon. Very Happy

Habanero

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2005 6:46 pm Reply with quote

<Although I must admit that my ride to work is on a 25 mile stretch of road that parallels a river winding through a canyon. >

You work in Ellensburg?

Nice commute..
wayward

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2005 7:08 pm Reply with quote

Habanero wrote:
<Although I must admit that my ride to work is on a 25 mile stretch of road that parallels a river winding through a canyon. >

You work in Ellensburg?

Nice commute..
In Yakima on the other end of the canyon, but that's the road that I live on. Obviously you have ridden it too. Very Happy Sometimes on the way home from work, I ride right past my house and continue on into Ellensburg, turn around and come back to my house just so I can ride the canyon a little longer. Not to mention the fact that at this time of the year there are many scantily clad young women floating down the river on inner tubes and inflatable rafts. A good case for buying a new jet ski.

Habanero

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2005 7:23 pm Reply with quote

Yep, I've ridden that road many, many times...beautiful place to live, I love that canyon.