Multistrada Wiki
  About us
 Login

Username:

Password:

Log me on automatically each visit

Problems signing in?

Register

Forum index -   Wanna buy: Low milleage Multistrada, any hints to search for?
doctor_john
MTS: Not specified

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2005 12:29 pm Reply with quote

Hi everybody and A HAPPY NEW YEAR!

I'm Yannis from Athens / Greece.

I use to freak other people with my 90ps R100RS... Whistle

the last 2 years i try NOT to be in love with MTS cause of the extreme price that costs... but is kind of difficult to go against my nature... you see, i lived by design (or accident?)(...it's tea time Watson, you can go now...)

Anyway i start to found multis on local dealers for 8500 to 9000 euros and i think that is something that i can aford with some help from a bank... Think

Does anyone know if there is any danger choosing a multi with 4000 - 10000km?

Usually the Greek riders show some respect on their new bikes, but this is not an fact, just a conclosion...

feel free to inform me about your opinion in extence! i have a good knowllege on 2valve twins (i don't ride anything else!), something that don't happens with my english...
Shifty

Thanx for your time!
Doc
MTS: 2003 1000 DS (Red)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2005 1:23 pm Reply with quote

Nothing special to worry about realy. Just in case, check the cam covers for oil leaks, the oil lines from and to the cooler for oil leaks again and maybe inspect the chain/sprockets for extensive wear.

Just in case, take a look on the oil cap and cush drive set and check for holes or safety-wires (in case it's beek used on track extensivle, but I doubt it since I know most if not all Greek Multi owners who have been in the track).

In case you need more info or help email me. Also a friend of mine in Athens is about to sell his Multi (2005 model) to get the new "S" version (personaly I don't agree with him Stubborn

Doc

P.S: welcome aboard Smile

P.S 2: all the above is exaggarated ofcaourse, no problems actualy reported that you need to reeeeeealy be worried Smile

Last edited by Doc on Fri Jan 07, 2005 2:03 pm; edited 1 time in total

Mich748R
MTS: 2005 1000S DS (Black)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2005 1:40 pm Reply with quote

He there doctor john, it looks like more people can't resist to look at MultiStrada's and finally buy.

If there are any bikes available around the 10K be sure that you get the service call with it. When you know about 2valve twins there is not much to worry about.

Good luck with hunting.

Cheers.

Mich748R

Mich748R

Honda VF750F
Ducati
900SS
748R [miss you]
916 (track)
MTS 1000DS
MTS 1000SDS
Hypermotard 950SP
MTS 1260 Enduro
Soon a Ducati Desert Sled (21’ Front/18’ Rear)
doctor_john

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2005 2:22 pm Reply with quote

thanx guys, i apreciate it!

i will keept an eye on the site that i really think that is made by "friends" for friends...

i will ask something again when i convert my beemer to cash and point on a specifique multi Pray

Yes i also disagree with your friend about "S" model... and ofcource i can't afford a bike so fresh...

have a nice weekend!
Dance
chris92

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2005 2:27 pm Reply with quote

Hi

I always find that you can get the previous owners details from the registration document, get his phone numbers from the phone company and ask the guy questions

I have been phoned in the past and was happy to tell the truth about the bike

Hope that works where you are

Chris
Rocker

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2005 9:05 am Reply with quote

As with all Ducatis the nost important think is to check that it has a full service history

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 1:15 pm Reply with quote

When i start this threat i wasn't look at problems area...

after two days of reading i came to a conclusion:

when i manage to buy a multi i will have to do almost everything that allready do the last three years converting my R100RS from the begining to an everyday bike!

I'm not so happy about as you can understund... at least i have a list whith 20(!) major problems that i will search for, in every used multi someone try to sell me...

I feel bichy and i'm already tired...

Have a nice day
Cool
Doc

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 1:41 pm Reply with quote

doctor_john wrote:
at least i have a list whith 20(!) major problems that i will search for, in every used multi someone try to sell me...

Think Think Think

I'd be very interested if you could post that list here Eh? , can't even imagine what it would be like Rolling Eyes .

Doc

doctor_john

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 3:42 pm Reply with quote

i sweeped by my rapid sadness and wrote some exaggerations.

I feel the need to apologize to everyone Embarassed

Here are the some thinks that i will search for when i be able to Pray

1) Front system tune at breaking procedure (classic!)
2) Leaking oilines (like you propose)
3) Every little action on dush/instument panel
4) Cracks in every alluminium part that takes presure according to each driver style
5) Mirrors mountings
6) Water in the oil or in the cylinders
7) Damages from moisture at fuses panel
Cool Hand controls
9) Paint flakes (not that i give a sweet...)

If you are still in Greece i will be glad to have some coffee when the weather a allows it

Next time i will be carefull with my emotions!
Cool
Doc

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 4:59 pm Reply with quote

Quote:
1) Front system tune at breaking procedure (classic!)

After months and months over this and a couple of hundred posts, I have come to the conclusion that this problem is directly related to each riders driving/braking habits and also some other factors come into play. There have been several ocassions that people having the judder on their bike, when they were given another Multi to try (which's owner never had the judder), they said they had it also on the new Multi. As a conclusion I think it's something to do with suspension settings/set-up, rider's driving style and rider's weight. (ofcourse this only my personal view on the matter, and personnaly I have never experiensed this judder exept once and only for a split of a second. Currently 36.000km and 19months with the bike).
Solutions regarding this have been numerous, some worked for some guys and others worked for others.
P.S: for example you might ride my Multi and experience the judder while as I said never had it (I don't think this goes the other way round though).
Quote:
2) Leaking oilines (like you propose)

I didn't "propose" it, it's an official recall by Ducati. Replace them under warranty and everything's fine.
Quote:
3) Every little action on dush/instument panel

If you realy can't tolerate the inaccurate fuel gauge, then unfortunately no available alternative for this. But for the rest problems with the dash, that have risen these past two years, seems that the later dashes were better waterproofed and manufactured (again replaced under warranty). As for the rubber pods that the dash sits on, don't do wheelies and you'll be fine Laughing . If you do, just get a spare and have it always with you or carry some tape.
Quote:
4) Cracks in every alluminium part that takes presure according to each driver style

That's a first Think What do you mean ?
Quote:
5) Mirrors mountings

Numerous aftermarket alternative solutions to this, so if the stock ones don't suit you, you'll certainly find others.
Quote:
6) Water in the oil or in the cylinders

This isn't actualy a "problem". It happens when moisture accumulates in the carter and you can very easily get rid of it if only you go for a "spirited" ride Wink , or just let the oil temp get above 100C for a while so that it evaporates.
Quote:
7) Damages from moisture at fuses panel

First time I hear this Think , any info ?
Quote:
8.) Hand controls

Same as above, info ?
Quote:
9) Paint flakes

Not a problem for us in the Southern Europe, most guys that had this either have ridden on salty roads or extensivly in wet conditions. Again in my case hasn't happened even though I had the most wet rides of my whole riding career on the Multi Embarassed

Quote:
If you are still in Greece i will be glad to have some coffee when the weather a allows it

I'm coming back tomorrow, email me your phone number and I'll call you to arrange for a coffee Smile .

Cheers,

Doc

P.S: As for this
Quote:
I feel the need to apologize to everyone Embarassed

What for ? No need to Smile

Last edited by Doc on Fri Jan 14, 2005 6:38 pm; edited 1 time in total

doctor_john

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 5:57 pm Reply with quote

you start making me happy!

Cool

im litle hurry...

mob: 6977483075

Thanx for all
deanrd

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 1:21 am Reply with quote

I'll sell mine for the right price. I have a read 04 with 7400 miles. I did the 6K service and just put new Michilins Pilot Road on. CF DP hugger, DP tankbag, comfort windscreen, 34L Panniers, new grips, lowering link(.5" from lowest - it was hitting frame and had to back it off).

9K Dover, NH