Multistrada Wiki
  About us
 Login

Username:

Password:

Log me on automatically each visit

Problems signing in?

Register

Forum index -   Wanna buy: Snow, ice and salt?
bradvincent
No Multistrada

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 5:25 pm Reply with quote

I live in northern Ohio, and do not 'winterize' my bike - we usually get a few days that are clear enough to ride. I went down once on ice, and had one electrical problem related to corrosion. I was wondering if any current Multistrada owners knew how well fancy Italian electronics held up to excessive roadway salt, and whether Multistrada handling on snow and ice would only be as bad as other motorcycles, or if it would be worse. Traction control, ABS and better suspension might help, but higher center of gravity could be a problem.
The Duchess of Desmo
MTS: 2008 1100 (Red)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 8:56 pm Reply with quote

can only vouch for the 1100 got caught out once had to ride 4 hours in snow about 4 inches deep didnt drop it to my amazement. Rode thro several winters just washed the salt off after each ride

MK96xj
MTS: 2006 620 (Red)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 9:59 pm Reply with quote

I ride year round and have been in quite a few snow storms and salty conditions. The only issue I have ever had was a rear bearing failure that I attributed to the prior seasons muck BUT can not really confirm that was the real case. Think

Electrical connections should be coated with dielectric grease and you shall be OK
mstevens
MTS: 2010 1200S (Red)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 4:56 pm Reply with quote

I don't think a Multi would be any worse in the winter than any other bike, and no better.

My biggest concerns in the winter have to do with the fact that tires, when ice-cold, perform poorly and that both road salt and road sand can seriously interfere with traction.

I have ridden (a Monster 620) into February one year, but once they've started sanding the roads I put the bikes away until spring. Most years around here that's from Thanksgiving until a few weeks after Easter.

I don't personally know anyone who rides through New Hampshire winters, even on sunny days when the roads are dry.

Casa Suzana, vacation rental villa in Cozumel, Mexico
Android
MTS: 2003 1000 DS (Red)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 5:41 pm Reply with quote

I am an all year round rider and the electrical problem I had was the connector blocks between the Alternator- Rectifier- main loom they are the only ones on the bike(2003) exposed to the elements under the tank that are not water resistant.
The salt dissolves the connectors..flat battery..no starty.

Remedy :- spray grease into all electrical blocks in the summer

Don't let the Speedo/Dash/Instrument panel get wet....loads of post about this and where to get replacments. use the search box

MTS: 2004 1000 DS (Red)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 10:38 am Reply with quote

I'd believe there are plenty of better bikes for winters than MTS. I'd be also very surprised if Ducati has ever tested ABS and traction control of 1200 model for such conditions like winter, computers can do whatever in 0-friction. In car use it is so much different, it is no problem to allow certain amount of occasional slipping and still keep control with four wheels as compared with two. And many car manufacturers come to Finnish Lapland to test their cars thoroughly in real winter conditions before going to market. Probably same in Alaska and/or Canada. Really surprised if any bike is tested for winter driving anywhere.

However, I am not sure if there is any single good winter bike in the market any more. In 60's some were well designed for all-around all weather bikes. Actually I would be interested if anyone has done it by modifying a modern bike, like lowering 4-stroke MX or trial bikes for winter use.

Maybe my spec for a winter is different, I am living north from latitude 60s which is about at level of Alaska...

Korie
MTS: Not specified

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 11:46 am Reply with quote

mstevens wrote:
I don't think a Multi would be any worse in the winter than any other bike, and no better.

My biggest concerns in the winter have to do with the fact that tires, when ice-cold, perform poorly and that both road salt and road sand can seriously interfere with traction.

I have ridden (a Monster 620) into February one year, but once they've started sanding the roads I put the bikes away until spring. Most years around here that's from Thanksgiving until a few weeks after Easter.

I don't personally know anyone who rides through New Hampshire winters, even on sunny days when the roads are dry.

i am one of those people that did. i rode a Yamaha fz6 at least once a month. when the tires are cold as is the street it is quite like riding on plastic tires. you can feel the whole bike trying to slide out from under you. i reacted well while it was happening and didn't drop the bike, but it sure scared the hell out of me after it happened. creepy stuff.

but those tires were also much more slick than the Multistrada's.