Multistrada Wiki
  About us
 Login

Username:

Password:

Log me on automatically each visit

Problems signing in?

Register

Forum index -   Wanna buy: Do MTS do high mileage or are they just sitting pretty?
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Clive
No Multistrada

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 12:58 am Reply with quote

Taking all the obvious reasons why you would by a MTS against a GS, just looks alone. But, I am in a dilemma, do I go for something that really is proven on miles over many yrs but isnt as pretty or will Ducati provide me with 4-5 yrs or more, of reliable and not overley expensive servicing as it climbs the mileage ladder, assuming it does climb the ladder? as Ive never come across high mileage Ducs over the yrs. They seem to sit in garages or go out occassionally. I do want to do some UK and Euro touring that will be fun and not have a bag of nails in a couple of yrs. Anyone have any experince of higher mileage Ducs and bearing in mind I will be buying a 2011 or new also?

MTS: 2006 620 (Red)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 2:18 am Reply with quote

38000 miles on mine without any issues. I do all my own service so my costs are low.
zookiman
MTS: 2006 1000 DS (Red)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 3:57 am Reply with quote

Well I don't know bout all that sittin around crap. I rarely see Ducatis at all except mine and it has 133000 miles on it. If folks knew how much fun Ducs were to ride and how easy they are to maintain, why they'd out number Hardlys two ta one a Daytona bike week. Now that you mention it I've never seen a BMW with that many miles. I'm sure there are bikes out there with unbelievable mileage. I ain't never seen one though. Thing is now days all motorsickles are reliable. Don't be fooled, those German tanks break down too and their service ain't cheap neither. If that EyeTalian bitch is callin your name and makin ya have wet dreams then FAGITABOUT IT!! Go get one.
Seriously though...I feel if a manufacture is not competitive these days they won't be around long. Ducati has fully addressesed their reliability issues of the past and they are as reliable as anything on the market. In some ways more so. Ducati is the best kept secret I have ever found and I'm glad I did.

2020 Hypermotard 950sp OMFG!!!!
Moronic
No Multistrada

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 5:31 am Reply with quote

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy I think that covers it ... if an admin were to rank this topic a permanent No. 1 on this page it could answer the most pressing question for a lot of prospective purchasers.
ducdoug
MTS: 2011 1200S (White)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 8:20 am Reply with quote

6k miles in first 3 months...no issues. Awesome machine... Smile

MTS: 2010 1200S (White)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 10:00 am Reply with quote

If all the Ducati's you've seen are sitting around in garages you are just hanging out with the wrong group of riders. Wink

'12 Multistrada S Touring
Yes, I do miss my air cooled multi...
Brand spanking new '16 Thruxton R
SpeedwayRN
MTS: Not specified

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 10:41 am Reply with quote

He must be talking about those 1098 riders! Laughing

2007 Moto Guzzi Breva 1100- Antonio - died a traumatic death!
2006 MV Agusta 910s-Ginger Is missed dearly! God Bless Mossimo Tamburini
1975 Honda CB750
Mattel
MTS: 2008 1100S (Red)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 10:54 am Reply with quote

I am happy to find low millage ducks for 1/2 the price new! The people who are putting tons of millage on them are not sitting around posting on this board! They are ridding! Great bike, I put 4.5k on it in 3 months. Great bike once I got the ergos worked out on it. If you are very concerned about cost this is not the bike for you. You have to want a Ducati. If you want a bike that runs with minimal service for a good price buy a honda or other jap bike. Ducatis have quirks. But that is what makes it worth it for me. If they were cheap everyone would have one. I ride up to my biker bar and I see 40-150 Harleys and no Ducatis. I can park next to a 30k Harley and they will gauk at my bike the whole time! By a GS, Buy a versis, buy another bike if it is the money issue that is improtant to you. When you date a hottie it is not the pain of the over priced gifts you purchased, or spending all your money for a weekend in a cool hotspot....It is the memory of dating a superstar that lives with you after the pain of not having any money is gone.
If you want to buy a bike you will remember for years buy a Duck.

ATGATT+AIR!!!
baggi'tard
MTS: 2008 1100S (Red)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 11:26 am Reply with quote

Gary Eagan has ridden many Ducati, including Multistrada, during his Iron Butt rally days, and ridden them 10,000s of miles in a year. And while they had great maintenance, there is no doubt strict service intervals were not maintained during the longer rallys, so that's saying something.

Farmhouse Inn Loops, Tellico Plains TN
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=992759
EddieRobinson
MTS: 2004 1000 DS (Gray)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 12:11 pm Reply with quote

Maybe he needs to pop up to Scotland this weekend I believe there a group having fun up there.

Or keep and eye out for the breakfast meet in Benson.
mrthorpe
MTS: 2004 1000 DS

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 12:28 pm Reply with quote

My Marisa does both: looks sexy sitting, and gets out a lot. Smile

56,000 miles and still runs and rides like new.
nav18tor
MTS: 2004 1000 DS (Black)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 3:07 pm Reply with quote

Clive wrote:
Taking all the obvious reasons why you would by a MTS against a GS, just looks alone. But, I am in a dilemma, do I go for something that really is proven on miles over many yrs but isnt as pretty or will Ducati provide me with 4-5 yrs or more, of reliable and not overley expensive servicing as it climbs the mileage ladder, assuming it does climb the ladder? as Ive never come across high mileage Ducs over the yrs. They seem to sit in garages or go out occassionally. I do want to do some UK and Euro touring that will be fun and not have a bag of nails in a couple of yrs. Anyone have any experince of higher mileage Ducs and bearing in mind I will be buying a 2011 or new also?

Just join a BMW forum and see what problems and cost are associated with GS ownership. The problems are many and we are talking BMW cost's to fix so they are not cheap

Depends how confident you are in twirling your own spanners, a Ducati may need no more work than a BMW but most of it is doable at home including the over hyped belt change and valve check, with Can-Bus on the BMW it will need plugging into a machine

I take it for granted you are talking 1200 here, it's an under stressed sports bike engine so should be good for high miles

http://www.pureholidayhomes.com/coimbra-...gal-p32294.html
Dangerous Dave
MTS: 2010 1200S (White)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 8:47 pm Reply with quote

I have 25,000 miles on my 2010 1200s.

Some early teething issues, a well documented weak rear brake, and a electronic shock that required a new DES ecu - other than that no issues.

Just finished 6000 mile tour (part one of a longer ride) without any problems. New tires before I left, adjust the chain and oil change. During the ride just put gas in and check tire pressures.

I know 25,000 isn't a lot of miles, but I don't see any reason that with basic maintenance it couldn't go 100k.
imnala
MTS: 2005 1000 DS (Black)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 9:20 pm Reply with quote

zookiman wrote:
Ducati is the best kept secret I have ever found and I'm glad I did.

There you go nuff said.................

No Multistrada

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 9:55 am Reply with quote

Thanks for your reply, however the point I was making/asking does not relate to price or I wouldnt be considering buying one. I have owned Ducs before inc a MTS and 1000 sport so I do know its quirks. My point is like many others, my previous dukes only had a few 000 miles added but Im asking about how they fair over 30-40- 50 + thanks anyway
Mattel wrote:
I am happy to find low millage ducks for 1/2 the price new! The people who are putting tons of millage on them are not sitting around posting on this board! They are ridding! Great bike, I put 4.5k on it in 3 months. Great bike once I got the ergos worked out on it. If you are very concerned about cost this is not the bike for you. You have to want a Ducati. If you want a bike that runs with minimal service for a good price buy a honda or other jap bike. Ducatis have quirks. But that is what makes it worth it for me. If they were cheap everyone would have one. I ride up to my biker bar and I see 40-150 Harleys and no Ducatis. I can park next to a 30k Harley and they will gauk at my bike the whole time! By a GS, Buy a versis, buy another bike if it is the money issue that is improtant to you. When you date a hottie it is not the pain of the over priced gifts you purchased, or spending all your money for a weekend in a cool hotspot....It is the memory of dating a superstar that lives with you after the pain of not having any money is gone.
If you want to buy a bike you will remember for years buy a Duck.