Password:

Log me on automatically each visit

Problems signing in?

Register

Forum index -   Wanna buy: 1100 vs 1200
lmizell
No Multistrada

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 7:05 pm Reply with quote

Lot of group has owned both. What are top 3 advantages of owning one over the other. please? opinions count.
dudecati
MTS: 2011 1200S (Black)

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 9:34 pm Reply with quote

Owned both, loved both. I can answer this as follows:

1100>1200 simplicity, price, much better gas mileage (48-52 MPG vs 38-40 MPG)

1200>1100 power, handling, easier to ride

I never thought I'd sell my 1100 when the 1200 came out. Then I made the mistake of test riding one. Loved the power and ease of riding it. Also - I live in an area where the roads are bumpy/chattery but once I ride out of my area there are fantastic smooth twisty roads. For this the on the fly electronic suspension options are wonderful!

Not sure if that helps, but it's what I have to share!

lmizell wrote:
Lot of group has owned both. What are top 3 advantages of owning one over the other. please? opinions count.

MTS: 2010 1200S (White)

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 10:54 pm Reply with quote

Same boat here. Loved my 1100s, until I test rode a 1200s. It has taken me a while to fully make the transition from the simplicity of the air cooled to the electronic wizardry of the water cooled, but now that I have I'm loving the new bike!

'12 Multistrada S Touring
Yes, I do miss my air cooled multi...
Brand spanking new '16 Thruxton R
lmizell
No Multistrada

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 10:54 am Reply with quote

Wow, i didnt figure the fuel mileage would be that drastic of difference. Is the 1200 a lot ore powerful? and the weight is about the same, right?
dundidder
MTS: 2010 1200 (Red)

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 11:15 am Reply with quote

+1 on the above.

The main reason I traded was due to the expanding tank, mine was starting to go and I just didn't want to mess with it.

My mileage on the 1200 is around 40 vs 45-50 on the 1100. This was disappointing but I'm over it!

I just returned from a 5 day 1800 mile ride and the 1200, for me, is much more comfortable and easy to ride. The mirrors, instrumentation, ergonomics, wind screen, seat are all significant improvements.

Most important - the power is also unbelievable compared to the 1100. Laughing This thing is a rocket!

Rich in PLacitas

mollycbr123

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 11:21 am Reply with quote

IIRC, claimed hp for the 1100 is about 100, for the 1200 it's 150. That gives you an idea at least in the difference in hp between the two bikes. I've seen posted dyno runs of 1200s in the 136-146 hp range.

My 1200 is completely stock, and will probably remain that way. Just going by the fuel calculator on the dash, mine gets about 38-40 mpg, depending on whether I'm riding like an idiot or not. But the power and acceleration in sport mode is downright addicting! Very Happy

keener
MTS: 2005 1000S DS (Black)

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 1:25 pm Reply with quote

I guess i am one of the few, but i thought i would give my thoughts on the differences between the old and the new Multi. i have ridden both but to be fair just a pretty good test ride on the 1200 twice ,so not long term but still seat of the pants gave me what i need to know or appreciate in a motorcycle.
The 1200 is a suberb and well thought out motorcycle, the power it developes is fantastic and its suspenstion and availabilty of adjustment state of the art, you feel like part of the bike or as one and that i think is rare.
Ducati has made a statement concerning tech and where their bikes are to go now and in the future.The 1200 is a benchmark motorcycle and those that own them for the most part are in love with what they are.
I have a 2005 Multi 1000s ,it is a completely different motorcycle in many ways to the 1200 old school in a way, but very capable in what its design allows it to do. to date i have never been disapointed in its power , suspenstion adjustability, and most of all its character..if motorcycles have a soul i believe the old multis do in spades,for me this is nirvana..
To compare the new with the old is normal the bikes share the same name, but in reality there is no comparison ..there are two different motorcycles here and what one has as compared to the other is just apples and oranges.
Keener

74 Z1 900
98 1200 Bandit
2015 Kawasaki Verses 1000
mollycbr123

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 1:44 pm Reply with quote

Spot on, keener. My 1100S in a lot of ways was just about the perfect motorcycle for me. I enjoyed riding it more so than any bike I'd owned in a long while.

As I've posted before, it took me a long time to adjust to the new bike. I have no complaints about the 1200 now, but there are still things I miss about my old air-cooled. If I could justify owning both, I probably would.

Motodisiac
MTS: 2007 1100S (Custom colour)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 4:03 pm Reply with quote

This is exactly why I'm holding on to my original Multi, I have never had a bike with this much character. Spanish tuner Radical calls aircooled Multi engine "romantic" and I'm in love with it. My 1100 handles great, delivers 50mpg and does everything I want it to do. What more can I ask for?

D.

keener wrote:
..if motorcycles have a soul i believe the old multis do in spades,for me this is nirvana..

12 Multistrada 1200 Pikes Peak - Commute, Adventure, Light Dirt, Track, Fun

08 Multistrada 1100S - Scrambler / Supermoto project

05 Honda CRF450X - Real dirt fun