Multistrada Wiki
  About us
 Login

Username:

Password:

Log me on automatically each visit

Problems signing in?

Register

Forum index -   Wanna buy: Leave my GSA for a Multi?
Silent Panda
MTS: Not specified

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 6:51 pm Reply with quote

Hello Multi riders,

I have a 09 GSA but am very tempted to move over to the Multi...I live in Ohio (Cincy) and ride year round...how does the Multi hold up to salt and the other brine that is put down on the roads? Does the accessory port put out enough juice for heated gear? How good are the stock heated grips? Any issues with starting after exposure to 5-10deg F temps all day?
RRM
MTS: 2003 1000 DS (Gray)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 7:18 pm Reply with quote

Over the years I've has 2 1100's, 2 1150's (inc GSA) and 2 1200's and they're all great bikes, I've just bought a MTS 1000 and find it so much more rewarding to ride.
All the GS's are nicer for a bimble but pick the pace up and it's a different game. I'm frightened to try the 1200 as I'm going to have to get in to debt Mr. Green
ducdoug
MTS: 2011 1200S (White)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 8:18 pm Reply with quote

I owned 3 1200GS models before my 2011 MTS 1200S Touring, including an 09 GSA. My thoughts:

First off, the MTS isn't going to be any more affected by the road conditions than any other bike. Like anything else ridden up north (I lived in Alaska for 2 years and Montana 2 1/2, and rode in both), the key is washing off the crud immediately!

The accessory ports (one on each side, for rider and passenger respectively) are specifically there for heated gear connections.

I can barely hold onto my heated grips in the medium heat setting, albeit with regular riding gloves. You could probably cook an egg on high...

I can't answer the cold weather starting question, thank god. Smile

Overall, if you want the carrying capacity and long range of the 8.9 gl tank, stick with the GSA. However, if you are looking for a ride that will still give you the upright AdvTouring riding position, good carrying capacity (the optional topcase is HUGE...I'm still looking for one of my cats in there...) and AMAZING performance and handling, the MTS has no equal. BTW, the electronic multi-riding mode system really works, and the MTS is about 80 lbs lighter than a GSA as well. Go test ride one and see for yourself, then decide!

MTS: 2011 1200 (White)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 9:28 pm Reply with quote

On full it burns yr hands!!!!!!

Silent Panda

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 4:05 pm Reply with quote

thx for the replies...I was working on a trade-in deal but we couldn't come to terms...I was disappointed that Ducati didn't do any conquest deals like they did for the 848.
ducdoug

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 12:36 am Reply with quote

Too bad. Check around at some of the other dealerships. What kind of a deal are you looking for? I'm pretty tight with the Eurocycles shop here in Tampa. They do both BMW and Ducati, so are always interested in nice GS trade-ins...

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 2:01 pm Reply with quote

I wasn't looking for a free bike but needed more than 12,5 for my GSA and wanted to pay less than 19 for a left over Multi.

I was looking for a much smaller gar gap...

I'm casually looking now and see that used 2010's sell for about what my 09GSA fetches. An even trade for the right used one would work too.
ducdoug

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 3:16 pm Reply with quote

It will be tough getting more than 12.5 trade-in for the GSA from any dealer, as the average retail (not trade-in) per NADA is 12.45. You could try selling it outright and if its outfitted right and in great shape will probably get a little more than that for it. I'd suggest putting it up on the ADV Rider, BMWMOA and MSTA forums, if you're interested in selling it and moving to an MTS.

Good luck!