Log me on automatically each visit

Problems signing in?

Register

Forum index -   Wanna buy: 1100S Buyers Guide
Miket1964
No Multistrada

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 7:23 am Reply with quote

Hi All
New to the Forum, reason for joining is that I think ever biker should own a Ducati and some point.
Thinking of selling my Aprilia Falco and looking for a 1100S, so a newbie buyers guide would be helpful on the pros and cons of the air cooled Multi.
Being Italian are the Multi's reliable if looked after?
Regards
Mike
Android
MTS: 2003 1000 DS (Red)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 10:52 am Reply with quote

Glad you found us mike and welcome

If you go for the 1100s you will have the benefit of all the stuff having been sorted, frame and engine wise.

Try and pick one out with Termis/aftermarket silencer for a rich sound, they are loads of fun, I commute on mine 84 miles a day and the smile just doesn't go away. If only I could afford more petrol.

MTS: 2010 1200 (Red)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 11:23 am Reply with quote

Hello Mike, and welcome.

Android's got it right. All bikes seem to have problems of some sort, but by the time the 1100 Multi appeared it had nearly all the wrinkles sorted out.

I did 20k on mine in three years, and it never let me down. Others, who commute, have done many more. Andy's for example, and Jantah, who started this site, has done over 150k kms, whist Zookieman in Texas did over 120k miles before changing his engine from a 1000 to an 1100.

Good luck with your search. This is a great, friendly, site for help and expertise. Just do a 'Search' to bring up old topics, or a posting request of even an old chestnut is met with civility.

Peter

No Multistrada

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 12:23 pm Reply with quote

Hi

Thanks for the tips - sorry about the spelling, just got a new mac with the touch type keyboard, not used to it yet.

Mike
jpa3
MTS: 2009 1100S (White)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 2:31 pm Reply with quote

My '09 1100s is my first Duc and first bike in ~20yrs. I haven't done the extensive riding many on this forum have, but I can tell you that it is a great balance of performance, comfort and utility. I think you'd be hard-pressed to find another bike equally as capable in all three areas.
nav18tor
MTS: 2004 1000 DS (Black)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 7:40 pm Reply with quote

My 04 Multistrada has proved more reliable than my 04 Caponord

The Caponord needed stuff rectifying that the factory built in, the Ducati has had to have nothing......

Perhaps a bit unfair on the Aprilia, it was a good bike, but the Ducati has more "soul"

http://www.pureholidayhomes.com/coimbra-...gal-p32294.html
DJFlowe

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 4:14 pm Reply with quote

Thanks, everyone, for all the really helpful info on here.

I just finished test-riding a '09 1100s, and man what a hoot that bike was. It is just a wonderful piece of equipment, and fits like it was made for me. I didn't see any evidence of fuel leaking, tank cracking or fork seals leaking.

Is there a good way to tell if the tank has started to swell? The only think I noticed is where the leading edge of the tank assembly met the rest of the fairing, it was sticking out a little further than the fairing. But it was even on both sides, so that made me think it was by design.

What do you guys think?
nav18tor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 4:49 pm Reply with quote

DJFlowe wrote:
Thanks, everyone, for all the really helpful info on here.

I just finished test-riding a '09 1100s, and man what a hoot that bike was. It is just a wonderful piece of equipment, and fits like it was made for me. I didn't see any evidence of fuel leaking, tank cracking or fork seals leaking.

Is there a good way to tell if the tank has started to swell? The only think I noticed is where the leading edge of the tank assembly met the rest of the fairing, it was sticking out a little further than the fairing. But it was even on both sides, so that made me think it was by design.

What do you guys think?

If you are in the USA (you have no location shown) you will have the "advantage" of the recently won class action so you are covered for tank issue's, if you are in the UK you are currently unlikely to have any issue's at all, use BP Ultimate as it has little or no ethanol

DJFlowe

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 4:54 pm Reply with quote

Sorry about that, new to here.

I'm in the US.

Based on my reading of the court docs, I had to be the owner of the bike as of Jan 16 2012 for my bike to be included. Or am I missing something (happens often enough).

I cannot get that bike off my mind. Perfect fit, tons of power, smooth as silk, perfect windscreen....
nav18tor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 5:07 pm Reply with quote

DJFlowe wrote:
Sorry about that, new to here.

I'm in the US.

Based on my reading of the court docs, I had to be the owner of the bike as of Jan 16 2012 for my bike to be included. Or am I missing something (happens often enough).

I cannot get that bike off my mind. Perfect fit, tons of power, smooth as silk, perfect windscreen....

I did not read the class action fully as it is of no relevance to me, but I was not aware of the fact you quoted

I would check it out and buy the bike whatever....

PDXBill
MTS: 2008 1100S (Black)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 9:57 pm Reply with quote

Two years ago I traded my "02 Falco for an '08 1100S. I now have over 25k miles on the Multi with no problems. Buy one.

Bill
Mattel
MTS: 2008 1100S (Red)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 11:36 pm Reply with quote

Make sure it is an "s" it is really worth it! Go for the full Termies too! Great bike! ONce you get one it will be hard to wipe the smile off your face!

ATGATT+AIR!!!
DJFlowe

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 4:41 pm Reply with quote

Thanks again, guys. I'm really excited about this Multi... the only thing standing in my way is that I just moved and lost the title to my trade (d'oh). It's a pretty simple process in NC to get a duplicate title, so my bike is only 15 days away.

It is an "S" model, but appears to be completely stock. I love the sound of the Termis, but had no idea how expensive they are! The best price I can find for the full exhaust is about $2,990. Is that what you guys paid? Seems pretty expensive. Do I need an ECU as well with the exhaust? Does anyone sell used ones?
edeneve
MTS: 2006 1000 DS (Red)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 6:27 pm Reply with quote

Ducati do not make the Termi system anymore, so you won't get one new. Aftermarket exhausts come up for sale here all the time. There are two parts - the headers, and the cans. Replace just the cans for some good sound, replace the headers for the full symphony... - type in 'exhaust' in the search box, you'll get some good reading.

Fav rides:
2006 Multistrada DS 1000, Red
2007 Hayabusa
1982 GS1100
1992 GSXR1100
1982 KZ750 done up cafe style--