Multistrada Wiki
  About us
 Login

Username:

Password:

Log me on automatically each visit

Problems signing in?

Register

Forum index -   Wanna buy: Multi 1200 S - Any long term issues?
missin44
No Multistrada

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 9:15 pm Reply with quote

I'm liquidating my current stable of rides and once done will pick up a 1200 S Touring.

I'm curious if the there have been any problem areas that have cropped up for those that have put on some miles. I am aware that the issue with the center stand has been corrected. Also know there was a stalling or stumbling problem for the '10 models, but have heard that has been fixed. Anything else I should know before I drop my $20k?

Thanks
ducdoug
MTS: 2010 1200S (White)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 10:33 pm Reply with quote

I did the same thing. Sold off both my R1200GS and CBR1000RR for just the MTS. You won't regret it. Bite the bullet and go with both the full termi system and the matching top case. Those two additions will complete the bike. As for issues, the only changes on my '11 S Touring have been the windscreen, which I replaced with the larger, 2-piece MRA windscreen for more long-distance relief, and a larger, bolt-on foot plate (from Touratech) for the bottom of the side stand, as we have a lot of hot soft asphalt and soft off-pavement parking around here. Bike was initially running too rich in the front cylinder, but some adjustment by the shop fixed that. I just took the bike on a 1500 mile trip through the GA/NC/TN mountain roads, and its AWESOME! You'll love your new S Touring!

MTS: 2012 1200S (Black)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 4:23 pm Reply with quote

Thanks for that report Doug. I just test drove a 2012 S model yesterday and was completely blown away. I'm selling my current stable as well (BMW, Harley, Suzuki) to get this awesome sexy piece of Italian machinery! Mr. Green
jfusaro
MTS: 2011 1200S (Red)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 4:25 pm Reply with quote

Just a smile that you can't get rid of!!
moby34
MTS: 2010 1200S (Red)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 5:26 pm Reply with quote

I got my "10 1200 ST in March, demo unit with 1300 miles. Trying to make it to 8k before I winterize. Haven't had one issue, but am looking for a larger windscreen. Make sure dlr. has done any upgrades to the CPU's prior to purchasing and you'll be fine. I did get the top box, and came with Altrider protective pieces. Those items and exfaust are common upgrades. Personally, don't need to throw down the funds for an exhaust as plenty powerfull without.
ducdoug
MTS: 2011 1200S (White)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 9:16 am Reply with quote

If you're still looking for a larger windscreen, try the German MRA two-piece windscreen, with the adjustable upper spoiler. I got mine thru twistedthrottle.com . Works great and not too pricey.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 7:36 pm Reply with quote

I'm trying to do about the same- sell off a couple of bikes and perhaps get an S touring.
How much engine/radiator heat comes up to the rider? My ST4s blasts me with hot air unless I'm going 45-50mph+.
zemurray
MTS: 2012 1200S (Custom colour)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 12:18 am Reply with quote

jrt wrote:
I'm trying to do about the same- sell off a couple of bikes and perhaps get an S touring.
How much engine/radiator heat comes up to the rider? My ST4s blasts me with hot air unless I'm going 45-50mph+.

None. It's not hot at all

WERA Ex #696
jrt

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 10:28 pm Reply with quote

sigh.
mollycbr123
MTS: 2010 1200S (White)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 10:32 pm Reply with quote

I get a warm R heel off the exhaust, but no engine heat coming up at me. No fairing around the engine.

'12 Multistrada S Touring
Yes, I do miss my air cooled multi...
Brand spanking new '16 Thruxton R
ducdoug
MTS: 2011 1200S (White)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 7:22 am Reply with quote

If I sit at idle in traffic for a long while and the engine temp climbs up to around 220 or so (where it stabilizes), then I'll start to feel a little heat, but it is just noticeable, not a problem. Once I start rolling, it goes away. BTW, it is much less heat than I've felt on an ST1300 or similar sport tourer. Like previous comment, there is no engine fairing, so the heat dissipates rather than being forced up at the rider.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 11:28 pm Reply with quote

Thanks for the info. I appreciate it.